IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

The chess game looks very good ? .

-------------------

BTW, I think I should mention that it would be nice if the FujiNet UI fully supports a keyboard alternative like the TK-II. Many times I see situations where only non-CTRLed arrow keys are being looked for in order to navigate a UI.

The TK-II via a PS/2 keyboard brings a lot of extra power in the special key codes it can produce, and defaults to CTRL+Arrows for its actual arrow keys. And also takes advantage of the 1200XL function key features and applies many of them to the navigation section on a PC keyboard (Home, End, PageUp, PageDown). Currently FJC's U1MB BIOS screens (Loader and Setup) and The Last Word fully support it. I can create a key code map for you as a reference if you like. Just let me know.

• Like 3

Was there ever discussion about implementing an MP3 decoder/player in the future with the ESP32/FujiNet?  I thought I read that somewhere, or maybe I just dreamed about it one night.  The reason I ask, if it is possible, is there a pin dedicated for a second audio channel?

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 2:35 PM, leech said:

Even if the local firmware is in a weird state?  When I got my SuperVidel, that was the only way I got it to work.

You can always update FujiNet firmware with the MicroUSB port no matter what state it's in.

53 minutes ago, Brentarian said:

Was there ever discussion about implementing an MP3 decoder/player in the future with the ESP32/FujiNet?  I thought I read that somewhere, or maybe I just dreamed about it one night.  The reason I ask, if it is possible, is there a pin dedicated for a second audio channel?

Yes, there are libraries for audio playback that could be implemented in the future as Thom said. I pulled in a simple WAV player just for a quick test.

• Like 3

I'd rather have a separate patched version for TK/PC centric use... every bit/byte counts on our machines, and tbh is it that terrible to use what we all use anyway... many having gone through the trouble of putting decals over the PC keyboard to make it Atari like anyway. I'm sure once everything is complete and working just the way it needs to we could play with key maps for Apple or whatever keyboard a person wants...

• Like 1

I know it's probably a dumb question and I admit I don't know anything about hardware, but I'm wondering if there's a possibility of a future device that incorporates cartridge functions in the design? Much like AVG starting to support SIO, but with the wireless functionality of #FujiNet. To be clear I'm not trying to criticize #FujiNet. It's revolutionary! I got in on the original 50 orders and have signed up for one more when they become available. I just keep thinking about this and thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for humouring me,

Greg

No worries, I understand.

We had to make some very hard decisions when we were figuring out what this device was going to be.

In short, Yes, you can hook an ESP32 up to a parallel bus (like the cartridge or PBI slot), but it meant that we'd have to implement a CPLD to handle the bus coupling and decoding. This is a bit beyond my current abilities, and it would have meant that there would have been a significant pause in development, while I learned. There were other reasons.

So it made sense to say, this was going to be an SIO peripheral. and while we were at it, we were going to make it the single greatest SIO device possible.

This doesn't preclude anyone from doing a PBI or cartridge version. Take our schems and firmware and do so. 

-Thom

• Like 5

Hello guys

Just an idea.  I'm not a chess player.  Played it a couple of times maybe three decades ago, won once, by accident, in five moves.  I still have no clue how or why.  But back to the idea: Wouldn't this be a prime candidate for XEP80 support, where the chessboard would be displayed via ANTIC and GTIA and all the rest would be offloaded to the XEP80?  At the moment much of the text disappears under the chessboard.  If you could offload that to the XEP80, more text could be displayed for a longer time.

As I said, just an idea.  I know you guys are busy doing stuff we need more.  But if and when you have time...

Sincerely

Mathy

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

I know you were talking about possibly doing an OTA  option as the firmware gets updated.  I was on Hackaday a few minutes ago and saw this article.  Not sure how you would incorporate it, but it might give the person working on this some ideas at least. 

Thanks! I don't think anyone has done a whole lot of research in this department yet so any info helps. We're pretty busy getting the firmware as stable and useful as possible. 

In the mean time, I ported a cross platform python based program that can be used to upgrade the firmware on FujiNets that I'm shipping (or any FujiNet with the same specs/schematic, 16MB Flash & 8MB PSRAM WROVER). Pre-built programs are available at https://fujinet.online/firmware/ for Mac & Windows. They should be run with elevated privileges so they can access the serial port. Connect your FujiNet to the computer via usb then choose the serial port in the program and hit "Flash ESP". The console window shows output of writing and when finished shows the boot msg from the ESP. Note, this will wipe everything on the FujiNet including the configuration. If you use an SD Card, the configuration should be saved there and will be imported when the FujiNet boots up.

I'm also working on automating a daily build of the firmware. We have added some versioning code to the firmware and soon to the config program. Firmware version and build date/time is in a text file at the link above.

• Like 3

And while I've been taking a break, @mozzwald, @jamm and others have been splitting up the GitHub repo into multiple pieces (while maintaining the commit histories).

The original repository: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/atariwifi  has been archived for posterity, and will not be amended further.

The firmware now lives here: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio and is now entirely in ESP-IDF. No more arduino dependencies.

The CONFIG program has been broken out into its own repo: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-config

The individual FNC-TOOLS (FujiNet CLI Tools) have been broken out into their own repo: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-config-tools 

and the N: handler now has its own repo: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-nhandler

There will probably be others (e.g. for the N: version of PLATOTERM).

I want to thank @mozzwald and @jamm for spearheading this clean-up. We really are stepping up where needed, and it warms my heart.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
add fnc-tools
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

#Atari8bit Hello, everyone. I've been busy with a move to a new house, and getting not only my house set up, but putting IRATA.ONLINE back on-line in the new house, as well as getting my lab set up.

20200708_133722.thumb.jpg.82f5bea6ae4b28d0dcffda14da4dd67b.jpg

Everything is mostly set up at this point, and I've resumed both my day job and work on IRATA.ONLINE and #FujiNet. The rest of this post deals with #FujiNet.

I have had to get a couple of purchases with the funds that have come in from Patreon, thanks to all that have contributed:

* My development laptop (TMA-1) is suffering from thermal battery expansion which has warped my case. $250 from the Patreon was used to submit a warranty service request for on-site service to replace both my battery (which is four years out of warranty) and the bottom battery cover which has been damaged. This will happen in the next few days, as soon as my Dell representative confirms my on-site appointment.

* My capture device which was being used to record all the various #FujiNet videos has died, and I decided to replace it with a proper capture device that can plug into my RetroTink 2X upscaler, an Elgato HD 60 S+, for $216 all in.

I am in the process of continuing on N: development. The code is now self-relocatable, thanks to the ultd example provided by Jon Halliday (@flashjazzcat), the N: code now runs successfully under SpartaDOS, and is smaller than the ACTION! based relocator, as well as being more efficient.

At this point, N: needs:

* An implementation of BINARY LOAD for both MyDOS and SpartaDOS.

* Make ?DIR work in SpartaDOS

* Implement directory listing for WEBDAV (HTTP/S)

* Implement the rest of 8.3 to long filename translation. This is difficult because we need to implement a sort of filename cache.

* (maybe) deal with the fact that SpartaDOS upper-cases ALL CP input. grrr.

Furthermore, N: also needs functional XML and JSON parsers that we can embed and interface to.

This is, by and large, the last 20% of N: development, which will take a significant chunk of time, along with debugging every possible combination of DOS/DUP that can use the N: device.

More to come, but I wanted to give everybody an update over the last two weeks!

-Thom

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thom, What should I write? We are soooo deep in your debt and I dare to speak here for the worldwide Atari community, that we really appreciate your help soo much. Thank you and please go ahead, your work is vital, especially for the coming time.

1855059700_goteam(animated).gif.0ceb5f7f5fc8523e5cf6b72303e17201.gif1855059700_goteam(animated).gif.0ceb5f7f5fc8523e5cf6b72303e17201.gif1855059700_goteam(animated).gif.0ceb5f7f5fc8523e5cf6b72303e17201.gif1855059700_goteam(animated).gif.0ceb5f7f5fc8523e5cf6b72303e17201.gif1855059700_goteam(animated).gif.0ceb5f7f5fc8523e5cf6b72303e17201.gif ; like in Olympics: each 'go team' represents one continent...

868471199_bedanken(animated).gif.e8dc90b7aa475bed6eb3fe286bafd893.gif

742017317_Anstossen2(animated).gif.205c1411bbde0094844778dffb9dc316.gif

#FujiNet #Atari8bit Shown here is using the N: device in Atari's Music Composer cartridge to load/save compositions over the network. Am Now in the new office, can't find my microphone yet, so no v/o, BUT! Am using my new Elgato HD 60 S+ to my RetroTink 2X, beautiful video!

• Like 5