IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

6 minutes ago, jamm said:

I have to admit, it's kind of a kick that you guys are able to share Atari files directly now.  ?

I dig it. :) Looking forward to the future ability to create a local copy of a shared ATR or other file onto the SD card without needing to make a sector copy or DOS "Duplicate Disk" function.

2 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I dig it. :) Looking forward to the future ability to create a local copy of a shared ATR or other file onto the SD card without needing to make a sector copy or DOS "Duplicate Disk" function.

you CAN use NCOPY from the fnc-tools disk To copy a file from N: onto either N: or "D:"

• Like 1

It would be great if there were a way to mark a tnfs server as "mine" and have that allow you to copy files from other sources to the SD card or "mine" server. Conversely there should be no way for people to put new files on a server that isn't marked as "mine"

12 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

In line with @Mr Robot's comments, it would probably be a good idea to disallow creation of "New" ATRs on any but local servers, or maybe only the SD card. And maybe only allow ATRs from remote non-LAN hosts to be mounted as RO. 

I think it's a better idea to implement username/password as @tschak909 suggests. If you have a world exposed tnfs server you should know what you're doing and make it read only if you choose.

Edit: and if our firmware treated it read only when it was actually r/w, any person smart enough could easily still write to your server.

Edited by mozzwald
haxors

3 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

So I printed an Atariartist picture to 1020 plotter... took _hours_ and obviously only has 4 colours so we're not expecting miracles here.

You inspired me ... :)

The original, drawn by a ~16 year old me circa 1984/1985 in AtariArtist.

image.thumb.png.63b93da63ee01bcc310bd7ecbe811c89.png

The FujiNet emulated 1020 Plotter output tonight. I got the pen color assignments wrong but after waiting over an hour for the output, I'm not gonna bother re-doing it, lol. 

2094946890_Annotation2020-08-05201114.thumb.png.6a22258e582207ce9febfa06b172f9ef.png

• Like 8

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

You inspired me ... :)

The original, drawn by a ~16 year old me circa 1984/1985 in AtariArtist.

image.thumb.png.63b93da63ee01bcc310bd7ecbe811c89.png

The FujiNet emulated 1020 Plotter output tonight. I got the pen color assignments wrong but after waiting over an hour for the output, I'm not gonna bother re-doing it, lol. 

2094946890_Annotation2020-08-05201114.thumb.png.6a22258e582207ce9febfa06b172f9ef.png

I'm curious how long that would take to print on a real 1020, but I'm not willing to sacrifice one to find out...

3 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

In line with @Mr Robot's comments, it would probably be a good idea to disallow creation of "New" ATRs on any but local servers, or maybe only the SD card. And maybe only allow ATRs from remote non-LAN hosts to be mounted as RO. 

Please do not put anything on TNFSD that you don't have backed up elsewhere.  Little to no effort has been put into securing that code (either by the original author 10 years ago or us in our recent additions), so assume any folders you expose via TNFSD are public and may be destroyed/altered.  Professionals get this stuff wrong even when they're trying, and we're not even trying...

Name(userid) and Password has worked forever...

fail shared password 2 times and only local network access should be permitted, local network access should allow user to re-enable...

please don't go the annoying route of making everything read only until overridden by the user... a real hack or person attempting to do something malicious would simply change the flag/access and have their way with it in any case...

it was stated this is a key/encrypted capable device and could do secure connections... so packet sniffing script kiddies shouldn't be able to get or see the name(userid)/password

I despise default lock-down conditions, they are all simply tissue paper,

hmmm back your data up, that's what I've heard since carbon copy paper came into existance...

As I've alluded to:

TNFS right now mounts everything anonymously.

The username and password are part of the MOUNT request, there just needs to be a sane way to handle this. Will take some thought.

In the mean time, as I've also said:

tnfsd runs with the privileges of the user which runs it.

This means, that if you set privileges on the data directory (or any files/directories under it) for OTHER users to read only, then the file is read only (for everyone), this will be beneficial for public TNFS servers, in the mean time.

I would assume any TNFS server on local LAN wouldn't be a security priority.

-Thom

• Like 1

Just to add to what @tschak909 said above and maybe elaborate on what I said before that: TNFSD does no enforcement of security itself. Therefore, all the security enforcement must come from your operating system's file security settings in the folders you've given TNFSD access to and the rights it has by virtue of what user context it's running in.  Obviously you don't want to run TNFSD as root or Administrator...

oh my ?

would anyone really expose their machines to the world with Administrator credentials or leave Root open to all?

say it ain't so Joe!

hmmm

Format drive C:? Y/N

N

Now formatting drive C

looks like ansii sys has had N re-assigned as Y

sorry but it's all gone now...

DERP!

seriously though, it's not like cookie monster is coming to the 8 bit... or is it... gimme a cookie!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jamm said:

I'm curious how long that would take to print on a real 1020, but I'm not willing to sacrifice one to find out...

This took over an hour, even setting “color 1” (black) to blank (white). I will probably try again at some point to reverse the green/blue colors.

If I could only remember off the top of my head which emulated color pen is which color ... “Pen 1” is black, correct? What colors are pens 2, 3, and 4? I can’t remember for sure which ones I guessed when I told the plotter utility to print this, lol. Well, let me rephrase - obviously the other pens are red, green and blue. I just can’t recall which “pen number” each color corresponds to in the 1020 Plotter emulation. :)

7 hours ago, StickJock said:

The easy way to remember this order is that it is in alphabetical order.  BLA, BLU, G, R

Thanks for the mnemonic. :)

image.thumb.png.c37bcc6a383d8fc66f49a30d5a3b767e.png

EDIT: I spent the hour-plus for a Large plot instead. Now I get dithering. :)

Edited by DrVenkman
Higher-res plot
  • Like 3

On 8/5/2020 at 12:41 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

star color printers were popular back in the day, I wonder if I still have one laying about... :)

slightly different commands, but great output. Star Micronix or something like that.

Nice stuff, I and some friends also used the Panasonic KXP's with the color kits. again slight differences in commands...

Might be a way for fujinet to set the differences with a condensed replacement of the subtle command character differences as opposed to complete modules swaps... not sure but  maybe that would help if space becomes and issue.

Star / Gemini are a little different from Epson. Mostly the old models.