IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

On 10/7/2020 at 7:35 PM, Fierodoug5 said:

I made a video I call Fujinet for Dummies that just shows some simple setup of the unit and some of what Fujinet can do for the people just getting their units, or those on the fence on if they want/need it. Hope it is helpful to some. 

The video is great.. However, I'd have to see the BBS part with more details (longer)... It is just so cool.

Another great feature it is not highlighted enough is the Bluetooth connection (Thanks Marcin). For example. Imagine I am checking this forum with my Android smartphone, and then TIX posted a new version with new sprites, so I can immediately click the link, start sio2bt app, select the the xex I just downloaded and then I'd boot from it by activating the Bluetooth feature in Fujinet, and play the game in seconds in real Atari 8 bit hardware. No need to move it (yet) to the SD card, or the TNFS server. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

esptool needs python 3.4 or newer and python 3.4 runs on xp

Have you tried to get it working?

I mean, you are the only one who wants it, so, it's pretty much up to you to get it working.

I have tried and, unfortunately, failed. I have tried different versions, and can't seem to find the exact right one.

Wow.  Just...  Wow.  I'm blown away.

It's amazing to think that it's already been a year; it just doesn't seem that long.  And being able to see something of an executive summary of Fujinet's featureset really helps to put just how much has been accomplished in perspective.  Sure, I've been following the progress here and on YouTube, but having the big picture really helps to show what the device is capable of.

All I know is that once these become available, I'm going to have to order at least one.  And even then that's a weak 'at least'; a couple is sounding like a much better starting point.

@tschak909: thanks for that; I'd somehow managed to completely miss that they were on the market.

Any plans for a version above 1.1?  I don't have cold feet about jumping in, but would like to come in at whatever the 'final' hardware rev is for this version if at all possible.

The hardware is stable, the next revision of the hardware basically adds a buffer for devices that don't play nice on the bus.

To explain, unless you have a 1088XEL, don't worry about it.

The hardware on this device is stable, all future magic comes through firmware upgrades.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 3

[mention=9462]tschak909[/mention]: thanks for that; I'd somehow managed to completely miss that they were on the market.

Any plans for a version above 1.1?  I don't have cold feet about jumping in, but would like to come in at whatever the 'final' hardware rev is for this version if at all possible.

I missed it too. Found out via Reddit. Ordered and can't wait. Something to be thankful for! This being Canadian thanksgiving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is due to arrive tomorrow and I can’t wait! One question, came from watching Doug’s video. He says if another device is plugged in, ex. SIO2sd, sdrivemax, the FujiNet does not connect. Is it possible to have both running to copy files between the two? I suppose I could just copy between the SD cards but was curious. Again... can’t wait! 

btw, ordered from Gavin at Vintage Computer Center. 

3 minutes ago, tsom said:

Mine is due to arrive tomorrow and I can’t wait! One question, came from watching Doug’s video. He says if another device is plugged in, ex. SIO2sd, sdrivemax, the FujiNet does not connect. Is it possible to have both running to copy files between the two? I suppose I could just copy between the SD cards but was curious. Again... can’t wait! 

btw, ordered from Gavin at Vintage Computer Center. 

You can literally take the SD card from the Max, and put it in your FujiNet.

-Thom

Whichever of your devices has a bootable disk in the D1 slot will boot when you switch on. 

Example

Put a DOS2.5 disk in Fujinet D1

Put a Blank Disk in SDrive-MAX D2

Put a Data disk in SIO2SD D3

Turn on... Now you can use the DOS booted on Fujinet to copy files from the SIO2SD on D3 to the Blank Disk on SDrive-MAX D2

If you are talking about full disk images it's probably easier to just copy the files from one SD card to the other on a PC but there is nothing stopping you from running a sector copier on the Fujinet D1 and using it to copy a disk in D2 on your SDrive to a blank disk in D3 on the Fujinet

• Like 2

Getting this also forced me to finally get a Raspberry Pi I've had sitting up and running, so I can use it as a local TNFS server. Day off from work is turning out to be very productive!

Now to figure out how to mount a volume from a new Synology NAS I just set up to host files. Have tons of space, may as well use it!

Edited by tsom

@Allan I have done this with the N: device.

start a TNFS server on the mac, point at folder, you can then either use the n-handler or NCOPY on the fnc-tools disk to do

N:TNFS://path/to/file,D1:FILE

or vice versa.

-Thom

p.s. the N: device does have bugs a plenty, so that's why I am in the middle of a rewrite for it. But that's how it's supposed to be done.

The N: device currently supports TNFS, FTP, and HTTP/S for protocols, with more coming.

The fnc-tools disk contains both the n-handler (NDEV.COM) and the N* utilities for moving data to and from the N: device. I made the N* utilities for those cases where you couldn't use the handler (e.g. in DUP in DOS 2.0/2.5).

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 1