IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

Setting up my device and I tried adding a couple of servers (from Doug's video - 

) homesoft.irata.online and tnfs.atari8bit.net), but when I try to look at them, the system freezes for a few seconds (with the SIO light on), then when the light goes off, I hit a key and the system reboots, and those entries are no longer in the list. (and actually, tnfs.atari8bit.net seems to work now) Not sure what that means...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

You should change that to fujinet.atari8bit.net, the tnfs subdomain will be disappearing soon.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Also, is there a file limit for a directory? I copied the sd files I have from my SIO2SD onto the SD card, and when I tried to look into one of the games directories, it failed with an error. Looking at the directory on my Mac, there are 5586 files in that directory. I'm guessing there's some limit. I'll have to dig up my script that will sort the files into subdirectories by first letter.

30 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

You should change that to fujinet.atari8bit.net, the tnfs subdomain will be disappearing soon.

That seems to do the same thing. When I hit return to select it, the SIO light comes on for a few seconds, then an error "ERROR MOUNTING HOST SLOT". Hitting any key will reboot the system. homesoft.irata.online gives the same error. (seems pretty drastic to, to have to reboot the system in such a case...)

Edited by tsom

5 minutes ago, tsom said:

What is the best/optimal setting for the HSIO setting? Mine came set to 6, I tried changing it to 0 but didn't see much difference (I'm using a 130xe at the moment). Any docs on the different settings?

Thanks!

How are you determining if there's a difference?  HSIO 0 is twice as fast as the default value.  If you're only testing against TNFS servers on the Internet, then you may not notice a difference because of Internet latencies.  The difference should be pretty obvious if you're loading off a local server or SD card.

Also, if you're testing with ATX disk images, the HSIO is always disabled to properly emulate normal disk timing.  Try ATR or XEX files for comparison.

The best/optimal setting is '0', unless you have problems.  SpartDOS won't work at 0, for example.

1 hour ago, tschak909 said:

@Allan I have done this with the N: device.

start a TNFS server on the mac, point at folder, you can then either use the n-handler or NCOPY on the fnc-tools disk to do

N:TNFS://path/to/file,D1:FILE

or vice versa.

-Thom

p.s. the N: device does have bugs a plenty, so that's why I am in the middle of a rewrite for it. But that's how it's supposed to be done.

The N: device currently supports TNFS, FTP, and HTTP/S for protocols, with more coming.

The fnc-tools disk contains both the n-handler (NDEV.COM) and the N* utilities for moving data to and from the N: device. I made the N* utilities for those cases where you couldn't use the handler (e.g. in DUP in DOS 2.0/2.5).

Thanks Thom,

I spent last night trying out many of the Fujinet utilities. It's going to make a lot of things easier (and quicker) to do.

Allan

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tsom said:

That seems to do the same thing. When I hit return to select it, the SIO light comes on for a few seconds, then an error "ERROR MOUNTING HOST SLOT". Hitting any key will reboot the system. homesoft.irata.online gives the same error. (seems pretty drastic to, to have to reboot the system in such a case...)

We've seen this a few times lately, it seems to come down to network quality, fixes were things like moving the computer to another room, waiting until the wifi was less crowded etc. 

Make sure you don't have dual 2.4 and 5ghz antennas with the same ssid's, it's known the cause issues getting a connection. 

after all that, yes, if the fujinet has a network problem and drops the network (the white light goes off) it will reset. That, I think, is something that needs some more work.

11 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

We've seen this a few times lately, it seems to come down to network quality, fixes were things like moving the computer to another room, waiting until the wifi was less crowded etc. 

Make sure you don't have dual 2.4 and 5ghz antennas with the same ssid's, it's known the cause issues getting a connection. 

after all that, yes, if the fujinet has a network problem and drops the network (the white light goes off) it will reset. That, I think, is something that needs some more work.

Yeah, I have seen network issues, even connecting to a local TNFS server I set up on a Raspberry Pi (which is physically next to the Atari). It works fine one minute, then if I try to access it, it's "gone" - no response, Atari reboots, and the device is removed from the list.

I'm using an Eero Wifi system, so am at their mercy as to 2.4 vs 5ghz.

32 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

@tsom @Mr Robot I have opened a ticket (and a branch add-retry-logic), to try and make error handling less fatalistic in some cases:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-config/issues/14

-Thom

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, tsom said:

Yeah, I have seen network issues, even connecting to a local TNFS server I set up on a Raspberry Pi (which is physically next to the Atari). It works fine one minute, then if I try to access it, it's "gone" - no response, Atari reboots, and the device is removed from the list.

I'm using an Eero Wifi system, so am at their mercy as to 2.4 vs 5ghz.

Do you have an SD card in your Fujinet yet? If not put one in there, it will save settings to the SD instead of the SPIFFS so you can edit it with a text editor and back it up, stuff like that.

The Fujinet is pretty much at the mercy of the ESP32 for its wifi handling, reliability etc. If Espressive don't make it work well there isn't a lot the FN devs can do. Best we can hope for is for the firmware to be very forgiving of errors and have as much auto fault correction as possible. 

When I started playign with Fujinet right back at the beginning before we were even using ESP32 modules I had real issues getting it connected to my wifi when everyone else seems to have no problem at all. It took a lot of network reconfiguration to get a good reliable connection from the ESP32 but now it's solid as a rock. I think the ESP internal code is just a bit over picky.

1 hour ago, Allan said:

Thanks Thom,

I spent last night trying out many of the Fujinet utilities. It's going to make a lot of things easier (and quicker) to do.

Allan

I'm willing to bet there are so many holes and inconsistencies. We'll get them all. I only ask for a bit of patience while we grind through all this stuff. :)

-Thom

5 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

I'm willing to bet there are so many holes and inconsistencies. We'll get them all. I only ask for a bit of patience while we grind through all this stuff. :)

-Thom

All I ask is that you finish before I finish archiving all the Atari 8-bit manuals, which might be about another 20 years if I am extremely lucky.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tsom said:

What is the best/optimal setting for the HSIO setting? Mine came set to 6, I tried changing it to 0 but didn't see much difference (I'm using a 130xe at the moment). Any docs on the different settings?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, jamm said:

How are you determining if there's a difference?  HSIO 0 is twice as fast as the default value.  If you're only testing against TNFS servers on the Internet, then you may not notice a difference because of Internet latencies. 

If you're not using a HSIO patched OS or an Ultimate 1MB/Incognito machine with Jon's PBI BIOS and high-speed I/O, you're not going to approach POKEY /0 speeds. The OS can't handle it by default.

• Like 1

Just now, Allan said:

Another question (pardon my poor tech knowledge). Is it/will it/might it be possible to have my Fujinet web server/page send a pdf of a printout to my wireless printer?

I did a LOT of research into this...

*deep-breath*

And the PDF output was the compromise, because there is no consistently standard way to do so. Even in 2020, network printing is a nightmare. 

Apple's cloud printing tech is extremely proprietary.

Google's cloud print is going byebye at the end of the year (and Google EXPLICITLY has no path forward for its users, many are pissed)

IPP requires setup via CUPS

Everything else is a shiny vendor wrapper around something proprietary.

-Thom

2 minutes ago, Allan said:

Another question (pardon my poor tech knowledge). Is it/will it/might it be possible to have my Fujinet web server/page send a pdf of a printout to my wireless printer?

It's possible, but it would add another layer of complexity and isn't currently planned for.  As @tschak909 notes, it would open up a whole new set of issues.  For the time being, we're going to let you grab the output from FujiNet's web interface and let your desktop or mobile operating system cope with printing to a physical device and all that entails.

3 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

I did a LOT of research into this...

*deep-breath*

And the PDF output was the compromise, because there is no consistently standard way to do so. Even in 2020, network printing is a nightmare. 

Apple's cloud printing tech is extremely proprietary.

Google's cloud print is going byebye at the end of the year (and Google EXPLICITLY has no path forward for its users, many are pissed)

IPP requires setup via CUPS

Everything else is a shiny vendor wrapper around something proprietary.

-Thom

Understood. 

Thanks.

32 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Do you have an SD card in your Fujinet yet? If not put one in there, it will save settings to the SD instead of the SPIFFS so you can edit it with a text editor and back it up, stuff like that.

The Fujinet is pretty much at the mercy of the ESP32 for its wifi handling, reliability etc. If Espressive don't make it work well there isn't a lot the FN devs can do. Best we can hope for is for the firmware to be very forgiving of errors and have as much auto fault correction as possible. 

When I started playign with Fujinet right back at the beginning before we were even using ESP32 modules I had real issues getting it connected to my wifi when everyone else seems to have no problem at all. It took a lot of network reconfiguration to get a good reliable connection from the ESP32 but now it's solid as a rock. I think the ESP internal code is just a bit over picky.

Yes,  I do have a SD card installed. Guess I'll just have to deal with the flaky network. It would be nice if it didn't remove the host item if it can't connect though.