IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

On 10/14/2020 at 12:09 PM, tschak909 said:

Hi there!

You should download the flasher utility from: https://fujinet.online/download/ and let it download and flash your unit over USB (be sure to connect it to your PC)

You can go to the web admin (http://fujinet/ by default) to see the current version, I need to put this into config (or did I? I can't remember, look in [C]onfiguration)

To get back out of the directory browser, press ESC.

There are lots of bugs, don't feel shy in mentioning them, if they're duplicates, we'll mention so, and up the priority on them. :)

-Thom

OK - I recently needed to hook up the Fujinet flasher utility to resolve a TNFS server issue - and I figured since I had the notebook alongside my Atari, I may as well upgrade it to the latest version.

Now - according to this page:  https://fujinet.online/download/

This is the latest version:

Latest Firmware Version Info:

FujiNet Version: 0.5.32f7ef07
Build Time: Wed Oct 14 00:49:19 UTC 2020

So - I downloaded all of the components listed there from here: https://fujinet.online/firmware-dl/ in the event I'd need them to update my firmware piecemeal...

Turns out - the firmware flasher said it was upgrading my FujiNet with the latest directly from the website - no need to download the individual files after all.  Nice!

Now - when it was all done updating - I assumed my FujiNet would be running the version listed above...

However - the config screen suggests that I am running a build from August 25

Fujinet_Screen.thumb.jpg.6d3096c6c50ac81ccbef90c06a12f45e.jpg

And the FujiNet built in webserver suggests I am running a version from October 7th:

Fujinet_http.thumb.png.9ebb70e56fb8e2bb654939c4e024c336.png

This can be a mite confusing ?

Edited by Calibus
  • Like 1

@Calibus Yes, this is somewhat confusing, this is the version of CONFIG, which is not the same as the firmware running on the device. 

We did try to resolve this with build tooling, but it proved to be very buggy.

Not a clear cut way to do this, because CONFIG is a separate program from the firmware, on a totally different source tree.

-Thom

3 minutes ago, Calibus said:

However - the config screen suggests that I am running a build from August 25

4 minutes ago, Calibus said:

And the FujiNet built in webserver suggests I am running a version from October 7th

The time and date listed on the fujinet.online website is the "build" time but notice the version number in the fujinet web admin is the same.

On 10/12/2020 at 6:19 PM, tschak909 said:

I updated to the latest firmware, which I assume has this change. However, I am still seeing issues if the FujiNet can't mount a host. If I choose a host I have listed (FujiNet.atari8bit.net, for example), the SIO light will come on while it tries to access it. It does seem to be taking longer, I can only assume it's doing the 5 retries. Then it will display a "ERROR MOUNTING HOST SLOT" error message and just sit there. When I hit a key, the Atari reboots and I'm back to the config screen. And most of the time when this happens, the entry for the host slot I attempted to access is now Empty.

Would be nice if, after the error (which, btw, is displayed on top of the text at the bottom), I could hit a key to clear it, and not have to reboot. Not to mention not lose the host entry I had.

Thanks!

Seems there is a bug in TNFSD, the server daemon, which causes it to reject new connections once 255 unique connections have been made. @mozzwald just told me about it and had me reboot my server. Try fujinet.atari8bit.net again, it should be ok now. I've added a cron job to reboot the box every day until there is a bug fix for the daemon.

40 minutes ago, tsom said:

I updated to the latest firmware, which I assume has this change. However, I am still seeing issues if the FujiNet can't mount a host. If I choose a host I have listed (FujiNet.atari8bit.net, for example), the SIO light will come on while it tries to access it. It does seem to be taking longer, I can only assume it's doing the 5 retries. Then it will display a "ERROR MOUNTING HOST SLOT" error message and just sit there. When I hit a key, the Atari reboots and I'm back to the config screen. And most of the time when this happens, the entry for the host slot I attempted to access is now Empty.

Would be nice if, after the error (which, btw, is displayed on top of the text at the bottom), I could hit a key to clear it, and not have to reboot. Not to mention not lose the host entry I had.

Thanks!

There was an issue with the automated build script that prevented fnCONFIG from being updated. This has been fixed and a new update is available with the latest fnCONFIG.

Also, there is a bug in the tnfs server. After 255 sessions, the server will no longer accept new connections and throw a Failed to allocate session error. If you are lucky enough to have already got a session id, then the server will still work for you but not for any new connections. This is causing the "ERROR MOUNTING HOST SLOT" problems you are seeing. It's a good idea to restart any public facing tnfs server daily until the bug is fixed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

There was an issue with the automated build script that prevented fnCONFIG from being updated. This has been fixed and a new update is available with the latest fnCONFIG.

Also, there is a bug in the tnfs server. After 255 sessions, the server will no longer accept new connections and throw a Failed to allocate session error. If you are lucky enough to have already got a session id, then the server will still work for you but not for any new connections. This is causing the "ERROR MOUNTING HOST SLOT" problems you are seeing. It's a good idea to restart any public facing tnfs server daily until the bug is fixed.

Does the firmware update include the fnCONFIG? How long ago was it updated? I had updated my firmware less than an hour before I posted.

7 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Seems there is a bug in TNFSD, the server daemon, which causes it to reject new connections once 255 unique connections have been made. @mozzwald just told me about it and had me reboot my server. Try fujinet.atari8bit.net again, it should be ok now. I've added a cron job to reboot the box every day until there is a bug fix for the daemon.

I will try that server again, thanks! And I will make sure to reboot my local raspberry pi tnfs server once in a while

8 minutes ago, tsom said:

Does the firmware update include the fnCONFIG? How long ago was it updated? I had updated my firmware less than an hour before I posted.

You can ALWAYS check the current version and build time at https://fujinet.online/download and I usually post here when I do an update. The current build is 20 minutes old:

1374100648_Screenshotfrom2020-10-1714-51-05.thumb.png.9c24ef237e0c638eee5251b2f6ce6c70.png

I have moved the "Latest Firmware Version Info" block up higher in the page. Perhaps nobody scrolls far enough to see it.

Edited by mozzwald
note about move block
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am now throwing away the current rewrite of N: and trying again.

The challenge of trying to do translation at the SIO level is putting me into the fetal position. (Because the data has to be translated, you have to read in the buffer and translate it, adding/removing characters BEFORE you send the status indicating how many bytes are available)

This is now the third attempt to rewrite and try to work through the bugs that were introduced in the production N: firmware, and I do wish I had some help, but.. *shrug*

-Thom

• Like 2

Received my FujiNet on Saturday. Haven’t had time to play with it for long, but everything I’ve seen so far suggests it’s a remarkable achievement. Thanks to all of you who’ve dreamed and built and coded and tested. I’m looking forward to getting into it properly soon. 

• Like 2

This part probably isn't as high priority as some of the other things being talked about but I thought I'd bring it up. Just a thought:

The modem emulation/AT command set could be cooler by being more "standard"... Like ATDL to dial last number, or how A/ automatically does the last AT command, etc.. I've noticed that tcpser, at least the fozztexx one and maybe others, does those things. Is the code similar enough to look off of and port, maybe? Also the ability to send a key and cancel the ATDx command, when you make a mistake so you don't have to wait for it to time out.

Edited by phigan

7 minutes ago, phigan said:

This part probably isn't as high priority as some of the other things being talked about but I thought I'd bring it up. Just a thought:

The modem emulation/AT command set could be cooler by being more "standard"... Like ATDL to dial last number, or how A/ automatically does the last AT command, etc.. I've noticed that tcpser, at least the fozztexx one and maybe others, does those things. Is the code similar enough to look off of and port, maybe? Also the ability to send a key and cancel the ATDx command, when you make a mistake so you don't have to wait for it to time out.

Great points, absolutely. It is on the list to overhaul the modem, we put it together to try and get something working.

We still also have to figure out how to tweak lwIP parameters so that onslaughts of small packets don't cause the timeouts that are happening with some hosts.

-Thom

23 hours ago, tschak909 said:

I am now throwing away the current rewrite of N: and trying again.

The challenge of trying to do translation at the SIO level is putting me into the fetal position. (Because the data has to be translated, you have to read in the buffer and translate it, adding/removing characters BEFORE you send the status indicating how many bytes are available)

This is now the third attempt to rewrite and try to work through the bugs that were introduced in the production N: firmware, and I do wish I had some help, but.. *shrug*

-Thom

They say 'The third time is the charm'.

:)

10 hours ago, phigan said:

Typing +++ will hangup the connection so you don't need to wait for it to timeout. 

Do you have a list of AT commands you want added?  Can you open an issue here with that list? It should be fairly easy to add some of them, only need to edit 2 files probably (modem.cpp & modem.h).

• Like 1

(I need to try again to double check...) Is there anything that would not let me access any drive beyond D2:? If I mount a disk image on D3, and I try to take a directory of that drive from DOS, I get an error, basically saying no drive found. (This is on a 130xe, btw). Again, I have to try again, but I've not had luck using more than two drives.

44 minutes ago, tsom said:

(I need to try again to double check...) Is there anything that would not let me access any drive beyond D2:? If I mount a disk image on D3, and I try to take a directory of that drive from DOS, I get an error, basically saying no drive found. (This is on a 130xe, btw). Again, I have to try again, but I've not had luck using more than two drives.

Probably related to the DOS you’re using. Stock Atari DOS 2.5, for instance, only allows access to D1: and D2:. If you want to access D3: or higher, you need to run SETUP.COM, then write the new (modified) DOS files back to your boot disk. This is because each drive you enable eats up some useable RAM from the system. In an era when most Atari computers had only 48K at most, no bankswitched extra memory, and disk drives costs hundreds of 1980’s dollars each, it made no sense to expect the average user to need access to 3 or 4 drives by default. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Probably related to the DOS you’re using. Stock Atari DOS 2.5, for instance, only allows access to D1: and D2:. If you want to access D3: or higher, you need to run SETUP.COM, then write the new (modified) DOS files back to your boot disk. This is because each drive you enable eats up some useable RAM from the system. In an era when most Atari computers had only 48K at most, no bankswitched extra memory, and disk drives costs hundreds of 1980’s dollars each, it made no sense to expect the average user to need access to 3 or 4 drives by default. 

Perfect, that answers the question - thanks!