IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

2 hours ago, 8bitguy1 said:

Just a random thought, are you using an SDM that doesn't play nice with other things on the SIO chain? or does yours have the mod?

Yes it has the little purple add on board that lets it play well with others.

19 hours ago, tschak909 said:

You can see the [N]ew option, here, after you've selected a host slot: :)

image.thumb.png.7e8d0ea304b7975bf4db6cf8b72cc9c8.png

Thank you. Now I know where it is. Much appreciated. 

Long live Atari. 

For those who want/need it.

A friend of mine (Radu Cristescu aka uplink), had written both a python TNFS client, and a FUSE filesystem adapter. This program is very simple, you can list directory, get, put single files, etc. This is useful for example for pulling files off of public servers.

It is in our repo, here:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/spectranet-tnfs-fuse

Hopefully somebody can take this as a start for a better client.

-Thom

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Could problems with other SIO devices be caused by the VERY short pins on the pass through SIO connector? Longer pins or about 1/4" trimmed off the plastic would help.

Nothing will stay plugged into mine. Plug SIO2BT in and shake it... it falls out. If you even TOUCH an SIO cable plugged in to it, it falls out.

9 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

Could problems with other SIO devices be caused by the VERY short pins on the pass through SIO connector?

Not likely.

9 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

Longer pins or about 1/4" trimmed off the plastic would help.

Nothing will stay plugged into mine. Plug SIO2BT in and shake it... it falls out. If you even TOUCH an SIO cable plugged in to it, it falls out.

You got an early unit before I was aware of this issue. The fix is a slightly shorter plastic connector. PM me and we can work something out to get it fixed.

• Like 1

The issues with other devices in the SIOchain is not that easy to solve (I guess) since it works sometimes, and it does not work 10 seconds later. I did multiples test yesterday and the results were weird. The only consistent observation so far it that when normal speed is used there is no problems (I tried stock 1050 and AVGcart thru SIO).

Some examples of weirdness:

- I used a 800XL patched rom with Hias high speed code and unmodified 1050, everything works as expected. But if I used the speedy 1050, the speedy boot the first time. Then I do cold reset, and this time FujiNet boots up. Cold reset again, Speedy 1050 start to boot, cold reset, now the FujiNet boots. Sometimes I killed the booting process with another cold reset so the boot did not finish, but that the sequence still happened... very weird.

-I did the same test, but now with a U1M installed computer. Using Atari XL OS it works as expected. Switching to QMEG OS (which supports HS) it is very different behavior. The first boot you can hear a very short SIO noise, then nothing for about 10 seconds or a bit less: 1050 static, computer displaying the cursor, zero SIO noises, and after that the speedy 1050 starts the booting process. I cold reset the computer, and this time I got a bunch of "boot error"s in the screen pretty fast. I turn the computer off and I got the same boot errors (unless I turn off the FujiNet). Notice that in this case FujiNet never takes control of the booting, it only prevents the speedy 1050 to boot. If I wait enough or try enough times I can get the 1050 speedy to boot again, but still when it works It goes thru that 10 second waiting period. More testing is necessary, but I guess I need to test checking the debug console.

Now that more public TNFS servers are coming on line and clients for platforms other than the Atari are starting to appear, I have decided to return my TNFS server back into a private server.

Please remove Fujinet.Atari8bit.net from your server lists. Thanks!

44 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:
Now that more public TNFS servers are coming on line and clients for platforms other than the Atari are starting to appear, I have decided to return my TNFS server back into a private server.

Please remove Fujinet.Atari8bit.net from your server lists. Thanks!

Are the public servers posted somewhere, like on the Fujinet website? It would be nice to have a regularly updated list of public servers documented somewhere.

-JP

• Like 1

Hello,

one question please,

are there any concerns about the security of the server (tnfsd) for the (my) home network?

Greeting
Andreas

Hallo,

eine Frage bitte,

gibt es Bedenken wegen der Sicherheit des Servers (tnfsd) für das (mein) Heimnetz?

Gruß
Andreas

2 minutes ago, dl7ukk said:

Hello,

one question please,

are there any concerns about the security of the server (tnfsd) for the (my) home network?

Greeting
Andreas

Hallo,

eine Frage bitte,

gibt es Bedenken wegen der Sicherheit des Servers (tnfsd) für das (mein) Heimnetz?

Gruß
Andreas

Hi!

TNFS uses one UDP port, 16384, and there aren't any known buffer overflow issues. 

While there are fields for username and password, they currently are not used in the current iteration of the protocol.

If you have a server on your local network, unless you want to publically expose it, just keep it on your local network. :)

-Thom

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 2:00 PM, Mr Robot said:

I only suggested it 3 hours ago! I thought I'd leave it for a couple of days to see how popular the idea is and if it seems like a wanted thing I was going to ask @Albert

I tried to message @Albert last night but I wasn't allowed to message him so I messaged the Admin team and requested a Fujinet subforum.

I just received my FujiNet device today. I'd like to set up a local (private) tnfs server on my Mac to use with it. 

I downloaded one from http://spectrum.alioth.net/doc/index.php/TNFS_server and got it installed and running, pointed to a folder on my system. But when I try to access it as a host on the FujiNet, I get "ERROR MOUNTING HOST SLOTS".

I've had no luck so far finding information on how to get this working on a Mac, other than the read me file accompanying the tnfsd daemon.

Has anyone been able to get a tnfs server working on a Mac with FujiNet?

@TheMontezuma did a demo here: 

But basically, You long press button A, blue light comes on, at this point, you can pair with the SIO2BT app. Once done, the phone can mount/unmount disks into slots.

As of right now, the bluetooth mode takes over the device, until you long press A again to go back into normal mode.

It also must be understood that you need an SIO2BT modified OS ROM, the easiest way to get this is via the Ultimate 1MB, and enabling SIO2BT mode in the PBI menu.

-Thom

• Like 2