IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

Hello everyone, hope everybody is having a great Thanksgiving!

I had a few minutes here where I did some work on the #FujiNet firmware, before everybody showed up, and wanted to give a status update as to what’s being worked on at the moment.

From my end, I am spending the rest of the year re-writing N:. The results are being funneled into this branch:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/tree/network-rewrite

As you can see, it is currently over 160 commits ahead of the master branch being used to cut production firmware releases, so there is a lot of work being done there, and more to be done still. As of right now, the TCP, TELNET, and UDP protocol adapters work correctly. I am using the netcat and dumbterm.bas programs to switch between these protocol types and using netcat on the PC end to test these protocols and ensure that they work correctly.

I did attempt to add multicast support to UDP, but could not get it to work correctly. I am sure it’s something I am doing wrong on my end, so I will attempt this again, in the future.

The major changes from master involve breaking network protocols out into their own library, and trying to isolate protocol actions from the network.cpp SIO device, as much as possible. This has involved being very deliberate with the passing of error conditions from protocol to the sio device, and trying to factor as much repetition that accumulated in the various protocol adapters as much as possible. To this end, there is not only a new base class, NetworkProtocol, there is also a secondary base class for protocols that act as file stores, NetworkProtocolFS, which adds file system actions such as reading/writing files versus directories, operating on directories, and so on, and most importantly, resolving 8.3 character filenames to longer filenames, to maximize compatibility with programs and disk utility packages that assume that all filenames are 8.3.

So moving forward, my goal is to get the protocols that currently exist in master, rewritten; in the process resolving the very proof of concept code present in some of the protocol adapters (such as FTP, which needs a much more robust protocol state machine!), I do not know how long this will take, but since I am on vacation for the rest of the year, I am intending to spend as much time as I possibly can towards implementing what needs to be done for N:, and hopefully get N: to a point where it can be used by a wider audience as a useful tool, rather than as simply a curiosity.

-Thom

• Like 2

On 9/26/2020 at 12:28 PM, mozzwald said:

@jamm's idea is the best. Meanwhile, I've had a script up and running at https://fujinet.online/tnfs-data for some time now. It allows browsing the dirs and downloading the files if there happens to be something you want from there.

This script is exactly what I was looking for to browse my local TNFS.  Is this available to general public?

UPDATE:  I see that this is just doing directory browsing.  I was looking for web based TNFS client.

Edited by vinniet

2 hours ago, tschak909 said:

@vinniet there is a python CLI client here, that could be referenced to make something web based. 

https://github.com/Uplink03/spectranet-tnfs-fuse

There IS PHP-TNFS, written by somebody in the ZX Spectrum community, but the author hasn't released the code. 

-Thom

Thanks yes I have used the client from Spectranet.  I was trying to use GUI.

Suddenly Windows Defender is preventing me from running Fujinet-Flasher.exe (FujiNet-Flasher Windows x64).  I've used it several times in the past successfully, today is the first time it is preventing me so somehow this .exe is falsely triggering the virus detection software.

44 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

Suddenly Windows Defender is preventing me from running Fujinet-Flasher.exe (FujiNet-Flasher Windows x64).  I've used it several times in the past successfully, today is the first time it is preventing me so somehow this .exe is falsely triggering the virus detection software.

This is the result of an algorithmic blacklisting gone horribly wrong. :( Fixing this is problematic due to the fact that this was algorithmically selected, and all of these vendor databases are shared between all the antivirus vendors. It becomes a game of whack-a-mole to repeatedly send appeals for false positives across multiple AV vendors.

-Thom

• Like 2

What happens if the fujinet flasher gets a small change and a new version is released? It passed heuristics last release and fails this release, maybe it will pass again next release?  It wasn’t even a big change last time. Has anyone checked to see if this is a problem for everyone using the esp flasher that the fujinet flasher is based on?

34 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

This is the result of an algorithmic blacklisting gone horribly wrong. :( Fixing this is problematic due to the fact that this was algorithmically selected, and all of these vendor databases are shared between all the antivirus vendors. It becomes a game of whack-a-mole to repeatedly send appeals for false positives across multiple AV vendors.

-Thom

Not affecting me here - I just a moment ago updated my FujiNet to the latest firmware. Not a peep out of Windows Defender. 

I've been watching YouTube videos posted by Thom Cherryholms on using an Atari 1050 disk drive with FujiNet thinking if I just followed his example I should be up and running but no dice. Drive is configured for slot 2 and configured as such via the switch in back. Slot 2 is empty. Slot 3 is an empty .ATR file and slot one is. (name your DOS as I've tried them all). According to any DOS installed into slot 1, the actual 1050 drive doesn't exist nor does slot 3 exist and no, it isn't formatted because no DOS can find it!

So what's the BIG secret in getting this to work?

Thank you,

Fred Olivas 

Gresham, Oregon

Are you receiving an error 160?

-Thom

1 minute ago, Fred Olivas said:

I've been watching YouTube videos posted by Thom Cherryholms on using an Atari 1050 disk drive with FujiNet thinking if I just followed his example I should be up and running but no dice. Drive is configured for slot 2 and configured as such via the switch in back. Slot 2 is empty. Slot 3 is an empty .ATR file and slot one is. (name your DOS as I've tried them all). According to any DOS installed into slot 1, the actual 1050 drive doesn't exist nor does slot 3 exist and no, it isn't formatted because no DOS can find it!

So what's the BIG secret in getting this to work?

Thank you,

Fred Olivas 

Gresham, Oregon

21 hours ago, tschak909 said:

138?

An error 160 is an invalid drive number, which I cover in another video. You need to make sure the DOS is configured to support the # of drives you want to use (for DOS 2, this means doing a POKE 1802,15 to enable support for four drives), then writing out DOS.SYS again.

-Thom

Just d/l the update.  What I find frustrating about trying to use a 1050 drive along with FujiNet is that when the drive isn't plugged in all is well as I can format and see other virtual drives on the FujiNet.  Slot 2 is EMPTY so that I can insert my 1050 configured as drive 2 and when I turn on the drive DOS can no longer see any other drive on the system.  Nothing but Error 160's.  Any idea why? DOS IS configured correctly as like I said, without drive inserted all is well.

1 hour ago, Fred Olivas said:

Just d/l the update.  What I find frustrating about trying to use a 1050 drive along with FujiNet is that when the drive isn't plugged in all is well as I can format and see other virtual drives on the FujiNet.  Slot 2 is EMPTY so that I can insert my 1050 configured as drive 2 and when I turn on the drive DOS can no longer see any other drive on the system.  Nothing but Error 160's.  Any idea why? DOS IS configured correctly as like I said, without drive inserted all is well.

Is your 1050 drive modified in any way (Happy drive, etc)? Check the receptacle port on the FujiNet and make sure the pins are ok/not bent.

You can also try connecting the drive directly to the computer and plug FujiNet into the 1050.