IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

I updated with the 2020-12-27 firmware, and my ping latency times have drastically improved.  Average is now 8ms rather than 200-300ms, and the maximum is only 35ms:

Pinging 192.168.1.33 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.33: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.33: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.33: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.33: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.33: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.33: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.33: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.33: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.33: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.33:
    Packets: Sent = 22, Received = 22, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 8ms

This is with Fujinet 1.0 rev hardware and external USB power.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Fujinet -- LOOVEEE this device!!

Dumb questions:

- Can I plug the Fujinet into an unused SIO port on the Atari 850 (attached to an Atari 800) or does it need to be the first device in the chain?

- I saw that Fujinet on the Atari 800 won't produce the sound for disk swaps unless you have a ROM swap.  I'm using Incognito with XL/XE ROM (+various ram settings) and do not hear sound - is that still expected?

- I am able to use Fujinet successfully on my 800 with the Colleen ROM without MicroUSB power, do I need to worry about anything?

-  For those using U1MB/ Incognito - is the quickest/right way to boot with Fujinet -- reset-atari (get to bios), press L for loader, then CTRL-R for reboot basically?

- Am I allowed to use Fujinet on an Atari attached to a Commodore monitor?  

6 hours ago, Xebec said:

- Can I plug the Fujinet into an unused SIO port on the Atari 850 (attached to an Atari 800) or does it need to be the first device in the chain?

You can plug FujiNet into any SIO port, plug or receptacle, anywhere in the chain.

6 hours ago, Xebec said:

- I saw that Fujinet on the Atari 800 won't produce the sound for disk swaps unless you have a ROM swap.  I'm using Incognito with XL/XE ROM (+various ram settings) and do not hear sound - is that still expected?

Make sure the disk swap sounds are turned on using the FujiNet web configuration page (http://fujinet or the ip address of your FujiNet)

6 hours ago, Xebec said:

- I am able to use Fujinet successfully on my 800 with the Colleen ROM without MicroUSB power, do I need to worry about anything?

Your Incognito is slowing the boot time enough for FujiNet to be ready. No need to worry ;) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alert!  Today my FujiNet stopped working completely.  I've been away for the past 3 weeks and when I turned on my Atari 800XL I get dumped into the green screen test page.  Has something happened that I'm unaware of?  I thought I might need an update so I performed on just a short time ago.  Still no luck.

Ich kann Fujinet auch nicht nach Belieben an einer SIO-Kette aufhängen. Es muss direkt auf dem Atari XL stecken, dann funktioniert es. Wenn ich es an einer SIO-Kette wird hängen, wird es nicht booten, selbst wenn ich ein Gerät anders mit dem SIO-Port des FujiNet verbinde, der geerdet wird. War das der Grund? Habe U1MB in meinem Computer und dem Turbo Freezer 2011. Ich habe den Turbo Freezer 2011 komplett weggenommen, um es ausprobieren. Sobald ich etwas mit der FujiNet-Verbinde, funktioniert es nicht.

10 hours ago, Pmetzen said:

Ich kann Fujinet auch nicht nach Belieben an einer SIO-Kette aufhängen. Es muss direkt auf dem Atari XL stecken, dann funktioniert es. Wenn ich es an einer SIO-Kette wird hängen, wird es nicht booten, selbst wenn ich ein Gerät anders mit dem SIO-Port des FujiNet verbinde, der geerdet wird. War das der Grund? Habe U1MB in meinem Computer und dem Turbo Freezer 2011. Ich habe den Turbo Freezer 2011 komplett weggenommen, um es ausprobieren. Sobald ich etwas mit der FujiNet-Verbinde, funktioniert es nicht.

Mein Deutsche ist nicht sehr gut, aber ich kann kaffee bestellen :).

- Have you tried a different SIO cable to chain / attach devices?

- Can you connect another device first to the Atari, *then* the Fujinet - does that work?

Google Translate if it helps:

- Haben Sie ein anderes SIO-Kabel zum Verketten / Anbringen von Geräten ausprobiert?

- Können Sie zuerst ein anderes Gerät an den Atari und dann an das Fujinet anschließen - funktioniert das?

9 hours ago, MrFSL said:

Is their another device in the chain set to device #1?

I realized what the problem was/is.  Previously before the latest update I had always held down the OPTION key to disable BASIC as I seldom used it.  Now I realize that BASIC is often used in and along with the FujiNet device.  The one time I didn't hold down the OPTION key is when the FujiNet device booted up correctly.  There is nothing stating this new development so I was surprised indeed.  All is now well.

Yes, I have. I took another cable. Doesn't work either. Have 5 other cables, all tried. Still doesn't work. Have had Lotharek's SIO splitter. I've done it because it doesn't work at all. Then try everything again. Works still not properly, but boots from Fujinet. However, only the CONFIG. From mounted drives it does not boot after I pressed the Options button on the Atari. I don't end up back in the SDX, which I activated at U1mb. That is, the U1mb does not load the SDX after I restarted the Fujinet. In addition, I still need the 192kb SDX image for U1mb. It is no longer available on atari-apps.irata.online. Before it was still there, then all of a time it's gone. I tried to copy the mounted SDX to the SD card over and over again. Downloading this image always fails. Device Nac. Can someone send me the FujiNet Tool SDX Image? That still has to be on the U1mb. Maybe U1mb will work better with FujiNet.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't know where to post this.  This thread seems to be the catch-all.

To  my surprise my new TBA #FujiNet 1.0 is perfectly happy with my SWP ATR8000.  I mean seemless cooperation of the two devices. Either can act as D1:. 

Although the ATR8000 is strictly a 1X SIO device neither it nor the #FujiNet get confused while the #FujiNet is running divisor 0, via Hias Reichl's patched (in RAM) OS or his MyPicoDOS.

P: device acts as expected.   I get an error 140 if using LPRINT while #FujiNet is set as default.  If I set it to use P2:, thus both P: devices have unique IDs, then I don't get an error.  LPRINT output would be going to ATR8000's printer spooler and no error generated.  Opening a channel  to P2: works great and #FujiNet's logical printer gets any ouput.

No problems accessing #FujiNet's R: device.   I did not attempt to use the ATR8000's R:.   I don't have a modem or cable for its RS232 port.

I did have one issue with my #FujiNet.

Most of my SIO cables will not stay attached to my TBA #FujiNET but I found two that have no problem at all.  The usable cables have the connector shown below. (Sorry but I always have been a terrible photographer).

IMG_20210202_134320_HDR.thumb.jpg.b7fde6c75bdcf0bacc00e34dfc9ca56a.jpg

I'm very happy with #FujiNet.  Congratulations to Thom, Mozzwald and everyone else involved in the project, and to the community for supporting the project so enthusiastically.

-SteveS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep that's a japanese aviation equipment sio cord with the round pin sockets, The pins on the Fujinet are too short. Every effort should be made to keep the pins protruding as far out as possible and the socket floor where the pins come through as thin and shallow as possible.

If at all possible try not to cut up JAE type sio cords as they generally have the cleanest signal and the most contact with pins of any kind and length...JAE cords are precious.

• Like 1

Best Electronics has this to say about the JAE cables:

Considered by Best Electronics as one of the very best made 3 foot SIO cables Atari ever made, was the one that was made in Japan for Atari.  What makes this Japan made Atari SIO cable better than any others made over the years are two reasons.  One the JAE (Japan Aviation Electronics, letter marking on the outer SIO connector shells) 3 foot SIO cables used round female connector metal contacts inside the SIO cable connector body, so each mating SIO receptacle male pin made 100% (360 degree) contact with the female SIO cable round metal connector pin.  Second reason is the JAE 3 foot SIO cables have an attached strain relief on the cable ends that prevents the SIO cable (as it goes into the 13 pin connector shells) itself from pulling out of the SIO connector body.  Old Atari users (400 / 800 / 1200 computer era) remember that the very early Atari made SIO cables made, the SIO cable end would pull out of the SIO connector body (no internal cable strain relief device) and expose the 13 wires outside / backend of the SIO connector body.  If this Atari SIO cable connection was inserted and extracted or moved a lot, the SIO wire connections inside the SIO connector body would end up breaking and you would end up with a bad SIO cable.  Best Electronics has a very limited supply of the New Atari JAE 3 foot SIO cables in stock.  If you would like one, please specify when you order an Atari 3 foot SIO cable.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/8-bit_.htm

Years ago there was an electronics surplus store in Toronto where they had a bin full of JAE cables... for $1 each.  Only bought 5 or so, to my regret... since the store subsequently disappeared :(

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2021 at 6:52 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

If at all possible try not to cut up JAE type sio cords as they generally have the cleanest signal and the most contact with pins of any kind and length...JAE cords are precious.

The cables first known to me as I came across a pair as 'Wow!  These cables are Awesome!'  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...