IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

34 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

This is good information, cheers Stephen.

It's perhaps my favourite feature of the program.  I'd love to see something like that implemented in the stock OS screen handler! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

It's perhaps my favourite feature of the program.  I'd love to see something like that implemented in the stock OS screen handler! 

I wish I could use the up/down arrow keys to scroll through my recently used commands under SDX like under Linux - Such a handy feature, I'm always bashing those up/down arrow keys on my PC's keyboard, and I keep going to do the same thing on the A8!

Scrollback on the screen handler would be a handy feature, especially considering 40 columns.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

I wish I could use the up/down arrow keys to scroll through my recently used commands under SDX like under Linux - Such a handy feature, I'm always bashing those up/down arrow keys on my PC's keyboard, and I keep going to do the same thing on the A8!

Look for DOSKEY.SYS in the SDX user guide (page 180)

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:
10 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Look for DOSKEY.SYS in the SDX user guide (page 180)

Will do, thank you.

Another great feature of DOSKEY is the ability to alias commands.  For example, SDX does not have a MOVE command, but you can alias COPY /M as MOVE.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Question: is it worth mentioning in the Quickstart Guide the fact that FujiNet is 2.4GHz ONLY, and if you are running a mixed 2.4GHz/5GHz network with the same SSID, your FujiNet device may not be happy?

Sadly, I got bit by this tonight.

I fired up my FujiNet for the first time, connected to the SSID where my TNFSd is running, and I would get an error (which I forgot to write down), at which point FujiNet would reboot and display the last connected SSID.  I was also not able to reach the embedded webserver on the FujiNet device, nor ping it from another host on the same network.

I looked at the serial console output, and saw "Failed to resolve hostname <my valid TNFSd hostname>", and watched my FujiNet device reboot again.  Right about at this point I thought that the hostname resolution problem might be actually be a 2.4GHz/5GHz problem.

I ended up setting up a new 2.4GHz only network just for FujiNet on my WiFi APs, and now everything is working as advertised on the box, embedded webserver and ping work from other hosts on the same network.

For what it's worth, I also run Ubiqity hardware like @tschak909, and I've had other WiFi enabled devices have problems with a mixed 2.4GHz/5GHz SSID (Meross HomeKit wall outlets), so FujiNet having the same problem was not so much of a surprise for me.

I've seen other people mention problems with 2.4GHz/5GHz on the same SSID, but nobody mentioned updating docs with that info, you have to dig through the forums to find any mention of it.  I'd be happy add some info about wireless network setup and to submit a PR on the Quickstart Guide (or another document if that's the appropriate place for it) if there's any interest.

Thanks!

Serial debug log output for the curious...

Spoiler

[22:21:54]CF: 70 f9 00 00 6a
[22:21:54]sioFuji::sio_process() called
[22:21:54]ACK!
[22:21:54]Fuji cmd: MOUNT HOST
[22:21:54]::mount {0} "<my valid TNFSd hostname>"
[22:21:54]::mount_local Attempting mount of "<my valid TNFSd hostname>"
[22:21:54]::mount_tnfs {0:2} "<my valid TNFSd hostname>"
[22:21:54]Calling TNFS::begin
[22:21:54]Resolving hostname "<my valid TNFSd hostname>"
[22:22:08]Name failed to resolve
[22:22:08]Failed to resolve hostname "<my valid TNFSd hostname>"
[22:22:08]ERROR!
[22:22:10]
[22:22:10]CF: 70 fe 00 00 6f
[22:22:10]sioFuji::sio_process() called
[22:22:10]ACK!
[22:22:10]Fuji cmd: GET SSID
[22:22:10]->SIO write 96 bytes
[22:22:10]COMPLETE!

6 hours ago, spicyjack said:

I'd be happy add some info about wireless network setup and to submit a PR on the Quickstart Guide (or another document if that's the appropriate place for it) if there's any interest

Yes, please write something up to be added in the Quickstart Guide. I don't think github supports PRs on wiki pages so you can either paste it here or open an issue on the repo with your proposed changes.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, spicyjack said:

For what it's worth, I also run Ubiqity hardware like @tschak909, and I've had other WiFi enabled devices have problems with a mixed 2.4GHz/5GHz SSID (Meross HomeKit wall outlets), so FujiNet having the same problem was not so much of a surprise for me.

Interesting.  We're running a full Ubiquiti network stack, and this is not something that has been seen in relation to mixed 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz SSIDs with the FujiNet.

Which model(s) of APs are you using?  For reference, ours are UAP-AC-PROs that have been in place for close to if not 5 years at this point.

It's been an issue since the early beta versions of the fujinet, I think Bill Lange was the first beta tester to hit the issue. I had to reconfigure my network to split the 2.4 and 5 GHz ssids so I could get it online as well.

2 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Interesting.  We're running a full Ubiquiti network stack, and this is not something that has been seen in relation to mixed 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz SSIDs with the FujiNet.

Which model(s) of APs are you using?  For reference, ours are UAP-AC-PROs that have been in place for close to if not 5 years at this point.

2x UAP-AC-HD powered by 2x US-8-150W, with a controller and security gateway, basically a Unifi stack front to back.  So, newer APs than what you are using.

FWIW the manual for the Meross HomeKit smart plugs explicitly states that you have to shut off your 5GHz network in order to add those devices to HomeKit, or move the plug as far away from the 5GHz antenna as possible when you are trying to add it to your network.  Once the devices have been added, you can turn on 5GHz again, and I found this to be exactly the case.

I had free slots in my Ubiquti system for a new 2.4GHz-only SSID, so that was the easiest way for me to solve my problem.

Also, before moving the device to the dedicated 2.4GHz network, I was able to get a DHCP lease with FujiNet no problem (I could see the correct IP/router/nameserver for the device in [C]onfig), but other protocols (ICMP/HTTP/TNFS) would not work.

1 minute ago, Mr Robot said:

It's been an issue since the early beta versions of the fujinet, I think Bill Lange was the first beta tester to hit the issue. I had to reconfigure my network to split the 2.4 and 5 GHz ssids so I could get it online as well.

I linked to his post in my post above, at "[other] [people] [mention]".

6 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

That explains why I can only connect to one of my 2 routers!

2 hours ago, spicyjack said:

2x UAP-AC-HD powered by 2x US-8-150W, with a controller and security gateway, basically a Unifi stack front to back.  So, newer APs than what you are using.

Hmmm.  I'm not sure what might be different in our networks' configurations, but I can say this: our SSIDs are implemented in a very vanilla way - no QOS, airtime fairness, band steering, etc.  Neither of the FujiNets here (a 1.0 and a 'fixed' 1.3) have issues.

I did neglect to mention that we do also have a first-generation CloudKey as the controller, in addition to an AP-MESH-PRO providing connectivity to a nearby outbuilding.

Quite honestly, I'm out of ideas on this one.  Without knowing more about the environment you're using the FujiNet in, it's difficult to know where to start.  At least the 2.4GHz SSID was an option for you.  Not ideal, but it will get you by.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

On 5/21/2021 at 5:18 AM, mozzwald said:

Yes, please write something up to be added in the Quickstart Guide. I don't think github supports PRs on wiki pages so you can either paste it here or open an issue on the repo with your proposed changes.

Thanks!

@mozzwald *cough*

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/issues/450

I have one or two other suggestions for changes to the Quickstart guide that I will create GitHub issues for when I have time.

I went through the #FujiNet thread a bit over the weekend and scraped all of the "What you can do with your new FujiNet?" ideas (BBSing, ISS locator, CP/M, etc.), I'd like to write them up as a single document (with links to other documents as appropriate, example: CP/M) and submit them to the wiki and/or website as well.  First, would the #FujiNet devs be interested in something like that, and if yes, should I submit it as Markdown for a new or existing page for the wiki, or in another format for the website, or ???

FWIW, I also use this /nick on Discord, so you can reach out to me there if you want to discuss in realtime.

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2021 at 6:12 PM, spicyjack said:

First, would the #FujiNet devs be interested in something like that, and if yes, should I submit it as Markdown for a new or existing page for the wiki, or in another format for the website, or ???

Thanks for the patch, it has been added to the wiki. If you want to add more to the wiki or website or both it would be much appreciated. I'll get a hold of you on discord and we can work it out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 10:18 AM, mozzwald said:

Thanks for the patch, it has been added to the wiki. If you want to add more to the wiki or website or both it would be much appreciated. I'll get a hold of you on discord and we can work it out.

First very rough pass at a "Things you can do with your #FujiNet" document.  Comments welcome.  If anyone knows of any other #FujiNet projects that are not on this list, please let me know, either reply to this post or reach out to me on Discord (also user 'spicyjack'), thanks!  I tried to surf this entire thread for ideas for "Things", but at 87 pages and counting, it's getting a bit unwieldy.

Some caveats:

1. The document is not 100% valid Markdown, but pretend it is
  2. The order of "things" will change in the document, as will the instructions for those "Things" that have instructions
  3. Please don't worry about formatting or speling errors at the moment

things_to_do_with_fujinet.md

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, phigan said:

Are there more? The document seems to be gone now.

Are there more projects?  I have not seen any more #FujiNet projects announced in this thread on AtariAge, although there may be other projects that have been announced in other places, for example in other #FujiNet threads or on Dischord.

The Markdown document with the list of #FujiNet projects I created (by going through this entire thread) is right there in my original post, I just downloaded the attachment from that post with no issues.

I can submit the existing version of my list of #FujiNet projects to GitHub as an issue or PR just to get something out there, let me know if that would be the best way to move forward with this.

I did want to try to sort all of the things listed the document by the amount of time needed to set up each project and run it, so that the things that take the least amount of time to try out are listed first (nearest to the top of the document).  I don't know when I will be able to do this however.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 3:32 PM, spicyjack said:

I did want to try to sort all of the things listed the document by the amount of time needed to set up each project and run it, so that the things that take the least amount of time to try out are listed first (nearest to the top of the document).  I don't know when I will be able to do this however.

I started to work on sorting and grading things.  No new information, just organization and formatting changes.

I'm going through each item and basically trying to get an idea of required experience level and time it takes to do each item on the list, ala Atari Projects style.

Please, if you know of a project or disk image that's not on this list, reply here so I can add it.

I'm expecting this to be a "living document", i.e. once I'm done with it and submit an issue/PR, other people can come in and make changes the same way as new projects are created or new ideas for #FujiNet take shape and form.

things_to_do_with_fujinet.md

• Like 2

23 hours ago, spicyjack said:

I started to work on sorting and grading things.  No new information, just organization and formatting changes.

I'm going through each item and basically trying to get an idea of required experience level and time it takes to do each item on the list, ala Atari Projects style.

Please, if you know of a project or disk image that's not on this list, reply here so I can add it.

I'm expecting this to be a "living document", i.e. once I'm done with it and submit an issue/PR, other people can come in and make changes the same way as new projects are created or new ideas for #FujiNet take shape and form.

things_to_do_with_fujinet.md 7.55 kB · 4 downloads

This is awesome :)

-Thom

I have to say with all the Things You Can Do with a FujiNet, seem Connecting to a BBS is not used by most of the FujiNet Community. Currently running, and while highly active, given the number of FujiNet devices now in active use, this part of the functionality is either overlooked, not interesting, or more information on how to connect is needed. A short and simple How-To guide is available on southernamis.com (How to connect) as well as the ATR downloads for BobTerm and Amodem. Maybe to the surprise of some FujiNet users, 13 Active BBS's are online, AMIS, FoRem, BBS Express, BBS Express Pro, RatSoft, BBS Express ST, Oasis, etc. have been restored and in active status for years.

Would like to understand if this is not of interest, needs more support, or other..

IMG_1724.jpg

• Like 5