IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

21 minutes ago, jamm said:

Well, I'm glad you've found where the issue is!  I can't speak much about the hardware, unfortunately.  Maybe @mozzwald can jump in later with an answer to your questions.

Indeed I can get interaction between the fuji/atari/tnfsd albeit with regular UART timeouts and also issues with timeouts getting directories from tnfsd as well. They are at least talking now so I'm happy with that.

The UART timeouts seemed to go away when I enabled HSIO on my U1MB but having them disabled caused regular timeouts in the SIO communication. (No idea if that's expected or not)

regarding tnfsd interaction

TNFS >> TX cmd: READDIR, len: 1
        [4567 05 11] 01
Timeout after 6000 milliseconds. Retrying
        [4567 06 11] 01
TNFS << RX cmd: READDIR, len: 3, response (0): Success
        [4567 06 11] 00 2e 00
        [4567 07 11] 01
        [4567 08 11] 01
        [4567 09 11] 01

It does seem to work sporadically though....so hey I'll take the partial win :D

7 hours ago, jokker said:

Well I think I figured it out...it's my diode choices...I didn't have a schottky so I just used an IN4004 and tried a IN4007...so with that none work but if I pull it out then things are starting to work now.

How important is that diode for DATAIN? is there back-current on that line? Again forgive me for my hardware insolence as like I said I'm "real" rusty on it. I am trying to read up again but it'll take some time. :D

The diode is needed if you want to have other SIO devices on the same bus. It emulates an open collector pin.

• Like 2

as has been noted with almost all other SIO home-brew devices of this kind.... you need to find the ;lowest; voltage drop fastest diode you can find... these add up... too much of a drop and nothing works correctly, fast and low is the way to go...

too many people choose ones that just work ... barely... and then it won't play nice if you add another home brew device... we have tons of threads describing the best diodes or even chip selected choices for isolating and sharing on the daisy chain. When chosen poorly we wind up with mystery threads pages long as to why device x isn't working with device y on computer z.... dozens tearing their hair out trying find the solution... all ending in... oh I'll add that chip mod, and hmmm I'll replace that diode... wow  it  works it works!!!!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mozzwald said:

The diode is needed if you want to have other SIO devices on the same bus. It emulates an open collector pin.

Ok cool, I'm the only device on the bus so then it's good for now.

I'll order up some diodes I guess and for the future now that I know. Always happy to learn a little bit more about anything. Admittedly when the final product is available I'll certainly order one to support its existence, but for now I like having something new to tinker with. Who knows maybe I'll even be useful in some way with contributing something. :D

Thanks again for the help and guidance!

• Like 5

I decided to do the ultimate smoke test, and print a 14 page banner (max amount of text). It printed! Gosh I am so glad we added that extra RAM! :) (the PDF is 18 megabytes because we aren't compressing the body at the moment).

Interesting factoid, it takes about as long to print on PDF as it does on a real printer! Authentic! :)

PDF file here: banner_output.pdf

image.thumb.png.f2438d0b443fa8bdeaaf40b3310058bf.png

• Like 6

Neat!

Can you try my old PrintSheet utility discussed here:

It prints correctly when printed directly to an Epson printer, but when someone used an emulator to print it to a PDF, there were extra line breaks in the middle of the title lines.

Thanks!

I will need to dial back my insane amount of hours that I'm putting into this project, for the short term, as:

* Pressures at work are rising and stuff has to be shipped.

* My wife bought a new house, and we will need to move in June

* Wife is also lamenting my lack of personal presence.

So as always, I will try to communicate what everybody on the team is doing, but I need to cut my hacking back on this for the short term, so my whole world doesn't collapse :).

• Like 5

Wow, she bought a house without you? Oh my!

:)

not much ca be done about this one...* Pressures at work are rising and stuff has to be shipped.

~ I sympathize, better start packing that Atari stuff FIRST ~ * My wife bought a new house, and we will need to move in June

hmmm can she type? code? give back rubs? give your tired eye something to see? converse? sit on your lap? share a drink? carry floppies? Play test? Grab a JOYSTICK? * Wife is also lamenting my lack of personal presence.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

My wife takes care of the household, because I am an Aspie with cerebral palsy, and therefore should be nowhere near a hammer.

I thank my stars that she is in my life, but at the same time, I understand just how precarious things are because of the fact that I am an autistic bastard.

feeling very vulnerable right now, I am literally doing my day job, just so everybody else around me can be happy. and I just can't bring myself to care about my day job, because I am developing devops automation for a fortune 500 company, that ultimately puts people out of work, and makes those who remain, do more of it. it makes me unbelievably sick to my stomach, and is why I have to do these retrocomputing projects, in order to repair my fucking soul.

wanna be a historian, or make things for the retrocomputing community, nope can't do that because we have great health insurance, and the pay cut would render us all under a bridge. Want to scream.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

I was working on my comical responses while you typed that, it's going to work out...

money, food, shelter, and safety are hard necessities to come by, don't beat yourself up about it, we need these things. Catch 22 that it is.

You can only ask the Great Maker of the Universe to help everyone (and yourself) find meaningful things to replace what will be lost. Enriching lives and bringing joy in some way. Show us some love universe!

hmmmm        GMotU    sounds like Babylon 5...

_T D__

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

yeah, I figured, :)

I'm just not in a flippant mood today.

I lost two days from my sprint due to the long weekend, and the fact that from 20 hour days for the last three weeks, everybody on my team took Friday off.

Have spent the last decade in Agile teams, and have reached the conclusion that Agile is speedily polished bullshit. All it does, is literally ratchet up stress.

Edited by tschak909

hmmm join the club... for fun scan through this and see if you get a laugh and recognize it

https://media.defense.gov/2018/Oct/09/2002049591/-1/-1/0/DIB_DETECTING_AGILE_BS_2018.10.05.PDF

a few other excerpts and observations

https://thenewstack.io/the-u-s-department-of-defense-on-how-to-detect-agile-bs/

https://www.scrumexpert.com/knowledge/how-to-detect-agile-bullshit/

https://maryville.com/blog/understanding-fake-agile/

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5406384

of course the last might be a rant.... ;)

... So why would anyone with a genuine AGILE mind-set be using SAFe in the first place?  ?

Edited by _The Doctor__

ok, couldn't help myself.. 

#FujiNet #Atari8bit another example of the power of the N: device: entering in code to MAC/65 from a TCP socket provided by netcat. This is possible, because N: is host to multiple protocol adapters, including one for TCP sockets.

99431704_2702313710001004_4495330612734853120_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=KusMVKGcct4AX8w2ZwM&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=c8ff43d44da69963d7fed67ca95befba&oe=5EF11B82

100657066_2702313763334332_5342934037709193216_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=LvmHhP9qk2YAX-1vItR&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=df0c13968cebd3f48ccbaaaa150005cf&oe=5EF4AC7F

• Like 1