IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

6 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

What's the point of setting the time for FujiNet? And for that matter, is there supposed to be a dropdown with timezones or are we supposed to enter text? Personally, I can't ever recall how many hours I am minus-GMT because of stupid DST ... 

It's used for Apetime. Clicking the ? takes you to a page with info about the timezone scheme. I happen to have a list of timezones that I used for openwrt which is probably more useful http://mozzwald.com/zipit/openwrt/openwrt-tz-data.txt

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

It's used for Apetime. Clicking the ? takes you to a page with info about the timezone scheme. I happen to have a list of timezones that I used for openwrt which is probably more useful http://mozzwald.com/zipit/openwrt/openwrt-tz-data.txt

Actually I can parse that into something more palatable. :)

-Thom

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

The text field is preliminary, and will be replaced with a better drop-down, but e.g. it accepts TZINFO identifiers.

* EST5EDT for Eastern

* CST6CDT for Central

* MST7MDT for Mountain

* PST8PDT for Pacific.

These identifiers take DST into account.

I'm guessing that the time will be displayed wrong for Arizona, which stays on MST and doesn't use MDT?

1 hour ago, StickJock said:

I'm guessing that the time will be displayed wrong for Arizona, which stays on MST and doesn't use MDT?

The letters actually don't matter - they're more there for human readability.  It's only the number that matters.

For example:

MST+7 -- This says you're 7 hours west of UTC and you don't observe DST

MST7 -- This is the same

ABC7 -- This is also the same

XYZ7 -- Same...

ARIZONA7 -- Same!

MST-7 -- You're 7 hours east of UTC, probably somewhere in Russia or Vietnam

MST+7MDT -- This says you're 7 hours west of UTC and that you change your time by 1 hour during DST

MST7MDT -- This is the same

MST7MST -- This is also the same

MST7ABC -- Same!

ARIZONA7WILDCATS -- SAME!

The reality is that time zones, and, more importantly when DST time starts and ends for your particular region, are not only complicated, but they change from year to year and region to region.  So there's no reliable way to compute them without a database or rule set that describes them, and that database needs to be updated as things change.

"Full size" operating systems will have a database like this from which you can pick a location (e.g. "USA/Phoenix") and the TZ and DST rules for that particular location have been helpfully provided by someone.  They'll be out of date (ha!) sooner or later, so unless updates are provided somehow, you'll find the operating system will not switch to DST time on the correct dates.

Notice in the examples above we didn't specify when DST starts or stops.  There are built-in defaults: if you specify any letters after that number, then you observe daylight savings that changes the time by one hour starting on the first Sunday in April at 2:00AM and ends on the last Sunday in October at 2:00AM. (The specific defaults chosen can change from one operating system to another.)

If those defaults don't work for you and you want to provide the correct details, you can do so like this:

MST+7MDT+6,M5.1.0/01:30,M9.1.0/1:30

That says you're 7 hours west of UTC during standard time, and you're 6 hours west of UTC during daylight savings. Daylight savings starts on the first Sunday of May at 1:30AM and ends on the first Sunday of September at 1:30AM.

The "MST" and "MDT" there are just to give humans something to read.

Anyway - I thought that was an interesting diversion... We'll put a drop-down list in the web interface to make it easy to pick something for most people, and you'll be able to override it manually if those options don't meet your needs.

Edited by jamm
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, tschak909 said:

It provides correct time e.g. in SpartaDOS. #FujiNet will respond to APE Time device requests with a time pulled from an NTP server.

The text field is preliminary, and will be replaced with a better drop-down, but e.g. it accepts TZINFO identifiers.

* EST5EDT for Eastern

* CST6CDT for Central

* MST7MDT for Mountain

* PST8PDT for Pacific.

These identifiers take DST into account.

WIN_20200808_20_09_48_Pro.thumb.jpg.5eb17b58662c9f0262fceec8f6011901.jpg

It is one of those "why not?" features. :)

-Thom

Plus now I know I'm in the same TZ as mozzwald :)  Now to set a cron to back up configs...

2 hours ago, tschak909 said:

#Atari8bit The rewrite for #FUJINET CONFIG is nearing completion, and is now supporting directory pagination, and mounting long filenames! 

Great! This is the single biggest remaining hole in functionality for probably the vast majority of users. 

given that we should show the type of files in the disk image window, and that we have a limited amount of available text space (40 columns), I'm thinking that there needs to be custom 16 pixel wide glyphs (two character cells together) to show each disk type, SD, DD, etc. Am wondering if maybe a graphical form could be done that makes sense for all the different disk types?

I had initially done a set of glyphs like this:

image.png.ce64d66b413cecfc8423634bae31dd98.png

but they smudge like crazy on composite displays.

WIN_20200811_00_36_26_Pro.thumb.jpg.57ca027c9f747fe5f4e4a11028430f06.jpg

Anybody have any ideas?

-Thom

Your 1st try fits best, so I think. We have MD and ED meaning the same in your case: 140K. To avoid double meaning, the actual number does the job best. Key, to my mind is, to get the needed info in a blink of an eye.

If we change to symbol language, like in the cult movie Idiocrazy, we risk to be 500 years ahead of our time... ;-)

Idiocrazy.jpg

• Haha 2

On 8/9/2020 at 11:25 AM, jamm said:

I added a couple of font files that probably put things over the edge on WROOM boards.  If you remove the two TTF files in the /DATA/WWW folder you should be fine and it won't affect operation.

I did what you suggested and now it fits in the SPIFFS. Thanks!

I have a question, though: I think it is possible to make the SPIFFS "partition" larger, and still fit the "firmware" in the WROOM memory. Or am I wrong? 

Edited by manterola

2 minutes ago, manterola said:

I did what you suggested and now it fits in the SPIFFS. Thanks!

I have a question, though: I think it is possible to make the SPIFFS "partition" larger, and still fit the "firmware" in the WROOM memory. Or am I wrong? 

You can adjust the partition sizes for the 4MB WROOM boards by editing 'fujinet_partitions_4MB.csv' in the platformio directory.

19 hours ago, tschak909 said:

given that we should show the type of files in the disk image window, and that we have a limited amount of available text space (40 columns), I'm thinking that there needs to be custom 16 pixel wide glyphs (two character cells together) to show each disk type, SD, DD, etc. Am wondering if maybe a graphical form could be done that makes sense for all the different disk types?

I had initially done a set of glyphs like this:

image.png.ce64d66b413cecfc8423634bae31dd98.png

but they smudge like crazy on composite displays.

WIN_20200811_00_36_26_Pro.thumb.jpg.57ca027c9f747fe5f4e4a11028430f06.jpg

Anybody have any ideas?

-Thom

Nice, but you forgot about 77 track disks. Some people have ATR-8000's (and other controllers) with 8" drives.

22 hours ago, mozzwald said:

You can adjust the partition sizes for the 4MB WROOM boards by editing 'fujinet_partitions_4MB.csv' in the platformio directory.

Thanks! that worked. I expanded the spiffs partition (new offset: 0x250000 new size: 0x1B0000) by shrinking the app0 previous partition (size from 0x340000 to 0x240000)

Now I was able to print to emulated Epson printer.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, manterola said:

Thanks! that worked. I expanded the spiffs partition (new offset: 0x250000 new size: 0x1B0000) by shrinking the app0 previous partition (size from 0x340000 to 0x240000)

Now I was able to print to emulated Epson printer.

Could you walk me through that, i have the file open, just a bit confused which numbers to change. Thanx

Doug