IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

Already good bug reports coming in, some short term things planned due to reports:

* 1-8 will simply shift the slot of the current mode, TAB will switch between hosts/device slots modes. This is because some users have PC keyboards.

* Attempt to make filter case insensitive

* will experiment with slot insertion going back to same file list, rather than going back to hosts/devices. (ESC still goes back to hosts/devices)

3 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Updated to the current build this afternoon - fantastic work, Thom. Being able to navigate long file lists and mount long file names is just exactly what the doctor ordered for this device.  :)

For those who haven't noticed, there is a new TNFS host that I've put up as an experiment, HOMESOFT.IRATA.ONLINE, which contains a complete copy of the homesoft collection. I may actually fold this into atari-apps at some point, but I wanted to experiment with deploying a TNFS server as a docker container onto Google Cloud. :)

• Like 2

I've played around with the new CONFIG a bit this afternoon and have some thoughts/observations.

First, there needs to be a search function of SOME kind for large directories, even if it's limited to the contents of the current Host folder. Right now, the filter doesn't seem to work if what you're filtering for isn't currently visible on-screen. For instance, if I want to load Planetfall from inside my Games\P\ directory, which has many hundreds of entries, trying to filter by PLANET*.ATR doesn't do anything at all. I'd suggest that, if at all possible, the "filter" be turned instead into a search within the current directory contents. Otherwise the user is forced to page through potentially dozens of pages of results to find the file he wants. Then, having mounted disk Side 1, doing it all over again for Side 2.

Second, related to the above, there needs to be a single-key page function for long lists. Turning to the above example again, I don't want to page down through a dozen or more pages, each one a couple dozen lines long. I'd suggest using the left and right arrow keys to page forward and, if at all possible, backwards if folder contents can be cached somehow.

Third, I've had some issues where the system seems to hang while trying to mount long-name entries. I can tell CONFIG to mount them but when I press OPTION to boot, the system hangs at the "MOUNTING ALL DEVICES" screen. 

4 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I've played around with the new CONFIG a bit this afternoon and have some thoughts/observations.

First, there needs to be a search function of SOME kind for large directories, even if it's limited to the contents of the current Host folder. Right now, the filter doesn't seem to work if what you're filtering for isn't currently visible on-screen. For instance, if I want to load Planetfall from inside my Games\P\ directory, which has many hundreds of entries, trying to filter by PLANET*.ATR doesn't do anything at all. I'd suggest that, if at all possible, the "filter" be turned instead into a search within the current directory contents. Otherwise the user is forced to page through potentially dozens of pages of results to find the file he wants. Then, having mounted disk Side 1, doing it all over again for Side 2.

Second, related to the above, there needs to be a single-key page function for long lists. Turning to the above example again, I don't want to page down through a dozen or more pages, each one a couple dozen lines long. I'd suggest using the left and right arrow keys to page forward and, if at all possible, backwards if folder contents can be cached somehow.

Third, I've had some issues where the system seems to hang while trying to mount long-name entries. I can tell CONFIG to mount them but when I press OPTION to boot, the system hangs at the "MOUNTING ALL DEVICES" screen. 

So basically:

Yes, page up/down exists, use the < and > keys (I tried to hint at this by inversing the < and > on screen, screen real estate is precious.)

Filter is case sensitive at the moment, I will try to make it case insensitive.

Also, for more complex handling of e.g. public archives, especially disk magazines, we'll need something more. I'm looking at GOPHER for this.

-Thom

• Like 3

Thanks for that info - that makes navigation through long folders much more palatable. I do hope the filter can be made case-insensitive because I doubt I'll be the last user tripped up.

I do still have issues mounting long file names - I've tried from both my TNFS serves, one on my Win10 laptop, the other on a Raspberry Pi. How long should it take? I've waited as long as a couple minutes with no visible failure message, just stuck at the mounting notification. I haven't captured serial debug data. I'll try to do that tomorrow after work. 

Just now, DrVenkman said:

Thanks for that info - that makes navigation through long folders much more palatable. I do hope the filter can be made case-insensitive because I doubt I'll be the last user tripped up.

I do still have issues mounting long file names - I've tried from both my TNFS serves, one on my Win10 laptop, the other on a Raspberry Pi. How long should it take? I've waited as long as a couple minutes with no visible failure message, just stuck at the mounting notification. I haven't captured serial debug data. I'll try to do that tomorrow after work. 

yup, I'll look at the dump to see what could be happening. Long filenames might not be 100% yet. :) (I had to come up with a method that was frugal with memory)

p.s. a little monty told me something very awesome is coming. :)

-Thom

2 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Anybody with a older wroom board update via platformio today?

I am not showing the new Config menus(still only 16 files to a page)

I put the latest config here: https://fujinet.online/firmware-dl/config.atr

You can download that and put it at fujinet-platformio/data/autorun.atr then do Upload File System Image

4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Thom - any chance of implementing PageUp and PageDn keys for those using a TK-II? 

https://ataribits.weebly.com/tk-ii-manual.html

In order to promote this, I would be willing to donate two of these to the FujiNet development team for use with an XEGS (PM me if interested).

tk-ii-gs-sml_orig.jpg

TK-II-GS

When combined with a PS/2 keyboard this would be the easiest way to enable TK-II abilities on an A8.

This is the 'stock' keyboard solution on the XEL, XLD, and soon to be 576NUC+. Just the XEL alone constitutes a considerable amount of users since its release in 2017. And I'm sure many of them will be looking to use FujiNet.

• Like 2

I have already added the key-codes to CONFIG, and they'll be in the next build.

The only thing I would ask @mytek would be that PS/2 keyboards are becoming exceptionally old themselves, why not re-engineer the TKII with USB? There are many options to go there, replace the PIC with an STM32 for example. I'll even write the firmware...

-Thom

17 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

I have already added the key-codes to CONFIG, and they'll be in the next build.

Thank you. I didn't realize that was already done.

17 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

The only thing I would ask @mytek would be that PS/2 keyboards are becoming exceptionally old themselves, why not re-engineer the TKII with USB? There are many options to go there, replace the PIC with an STM32 for example. I'll even write the firmware...

I would be open to that. But it would have to wait until I get the 576NUC+ project completed in its present PS/2 connectivity form. I think the biggest plus of going the USB route is for the use of wireless keyboards. I also suspect you have enough on your plate as well, but I do appreciate the offer to write the firmware and will definitely keep that in mind.

As for the PS/2 ones being very old, and/or the implication that they would be scarce or hard to come by, that's still a non-issue in my book since there is a multitude of NOS available from eBay at inexpensive prices (LINK), and I see them all the time at some of the local computer shops and thrift stores for next to nothing. I also find it easier to get a good quality keyboard in PS/2 flavor than USB, with the later being junk if you don't wish to spend some bucks. Build quality has really gone down the tubes on many of these, with some not much better than an XE keyboard.

25 minutes ago, mytek said:

I also find it easier to get a good quality keyboard in PS/2 flavor than USB, with the later being junk if you don't wish to spend some bucks.

Sadly, true. Tho’ with the rise of “gamer culture” (for lack of a better word), really excellent mechanical-switch keyboard are available at increasingly lower prices. 

There's been a huge growth of the mechanical keyboard market the last few years.  While I would've agreed that quality PS/2 keyboards were the way to go some time ago, that's not really true anymore.  Excellent mechanical keyboards exist in a dizzying variety of configurations now, most of them won't wake the neighbors when you're typing, and they're basically all USB.  That's not even counting the countless variety of custom keyboards that are being released in small quantities pretty much all the time.

16 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

I do hope the filter can be made case-insensitive because I doubt I'll be the last user tripped up.

Since the filtering is actually performed on the TNFSD side, a small change was required to TNFSD.  The latest version now does case-insensitive pattern matches and is available both in the GitHub repository and at https://fujinet.online/firmware-dl/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jamm said:

Since the filtering is actually performed on the TNFSD side, a small change was required to TNFSD.  The latest version now does case-insensitive pattern matches and is available both in the GitHub repository and at https://fujinet.online/firmware-dl/

That has now been installed onto fujinet.atari8bit.net

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

The relevant change for TK-II PgUp/PgDn keys support:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-config/commit/029a5f1456553cf17739e1f1dcd88659de669139

-Thom

Does that auto build to fujinet.online or do we need to wait for someone to say it's been updated?

Okay, here is the serial debug for my file mounting issues. I can see one big problem right off: the log data says it's trying to mount the first image from host #6 but that's not correct. The host I am using for this test is #7 in my setup; host #6 is currently my SD card.

2 hours ago, jamm said:

That's ... too bad. Because it was kind of a pain in the ass to figure out to set up a TNFS server on my RPi.  The current documentation is somewhat scattered and incomplete. I am not looking forward to doing it again.

FujiNet_Log.zip