IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

If you followed the instructions on the wiki and got it working, now all you should need to do is

systemctl stop tnfsd
cd to the spectranet folder you built tnfsd in in the first place
git fetch
cd tnfs/tnfsd
make os=linux
mv bin/tnfsd /usr/local/bin/
systemctl start tnfsd

13 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Okay, here is the serial debug for my file mounting issues. I can see one big problem right off: the log data says it's trying to mount the first image from host #6 but that's not correct. The host I am using for this test is #7 in my setup; host #6 is currently my SD card.

That's ... too bad. Because it was kind of a pain in the ass to figure out to set up a TNFS server on my RPi.  The current documentation is somewhat scattered and incomplete. I am not looking forward to doing it again.

FujiNet_Log.zip 13.67 kB · 2 downloads

Looks like long filenames still need to be longer

[15:38:13]Fuji cmd: MOUNT IMAGE
[15:38:13]Selecting '/Games/I/Infidel (1983)(Infocom)(Di' from host #6 as r on D1:
[15:38:13]TNFS open file: "/Games/I/Infidel (1983)(Infocom)(Di" (0x0001, 0x01b6)
[15:38:13]ERROR!

52 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Does that auto build to fujinet.online or do we need to wait for someone to say it's been updated?

@Mr Robot We need to crank another update. There is still at least one other bug I am trying to squish first.

@DrVenkman The host slot is zero based, so 0 is host slot 1, 6 is host slot 7.

Looking at it now.

-Thom

-

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Looks like long filenames still need to be longer

[15:38:13]Fuji cmd: MOUNT IMAGE
[15:38:13]Selecting '/Games/I/Infidel (1983)(Infocom)(Di' from host #6 as r on D1:
[15:38:13]TNFS open file: "/Games/I/Infidel (1983)(Infocom)(Di" (0x0001, 0x01b6)
[15:38:13]ERROR!

Ok, still looks like the filename is silently being truncated to 36 bytes after updating the device slot. I did make one change to the firmware to prevent this, am looking further.

-Thom

And fixed, I had to re-apply the change to not re-set the filenames when using the old write device slots call (which still has to be used for changes that AREN'T the filename, along with the new set filename call.)

@mozzwald new build :)

Things changed:

* Filenames should no longer be truncated.

* Support for TK-II keys

* Default action is to go back to selecting more files, instead of Diskulator Hosts/Device Slots. use ESC to exit back to main screen.

Things to be added soon:

* Add ability to press OPTION anywhere to mount all and boot.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

systemctl stop tnfsd cd to the spectranet folder you built tnfsd in in the first place git fetch cd tnfs/tnfsd make os=linux mv bin/tnfsd /usr/local/bin/ systemctl start tnfs

Nope.

pi@FujiNet:/home/tnfs/spectranet/tnfs/tnfsd $ ls
bin          datagram.h   endian.h      fileinfo.o  README.txt  strlcpy.o
bsdcompat.h  datagram.o   endian.o      log.c       session.c   tnfs_file.c
chroot.c     directory.c  errortable.c  log.h       session.h   tnfs_file.h
chroot.h     directory.h  errortable.h  log.o       session.o   tnfs_file.o
chroot.o     directory.o  errortable.o  main.c      strlcat.c   tnfs.h
config.h     Dockerfile   fileinfo.c    main.o      strlcat.o   vscode_sample
datagram.c   endian.c     fileinfo.h    Makefile    strlcpy.c
pi@FujiNet:/home/tnfs/spectranet/tnfs/tnfsd $ sudo make OS=linux                gcc -o bin/ main.o datagram.o log.o session.o endian.o directory.o errortable.o tnfs_file.o chroot.o fileinfo.o
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file bin/: Is a directory
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:34: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 1
pi@FujiNet:/home/tnfs/spectranet/tnfs/tnfsd $

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: for what it's worth, I built my server again from scratch and filtering is now case-insensitive and does work. So thanks! :) 

Okay, time for a usability request: display the full, untruncated filename for the currently highlighted file below the file list and above the list of command hints.

Otherwise it's impossible to tell the difference between, say, the three different files on my server that hit for "Zork III" or the four files for "Zork II". They might be versions of the same 1-disk version but what if they're not?The first two might well be Side A and Side B of one version, with the third a single-disk version.  But with the filename display truncated with an * at the end, there's no way to tell.

So either display the full name below, or allow the user to press a key ("I" for information? The spacebar?) for the full name. Otherwise, the user is merely guessing about which file to load into which slot for multi-disk games and applications.

IMG_5199.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Okay, time for a usability request: display the full, untruncated filename for the currently highlighted file below the file list and above the list of command hints.

Otherwise it's impossible to tell the difference between, say, the three different files on my server that hit for "Zork III" or the four files for "Zork II". They might be versions of the same 1-disk version but what if they're not?The first two might well be Side A and Side B of one version, with the third a single-disk version.  But with the filename display truncated with an * at the end, there's no way to tell.

So either display the full name below, or allow the user to press a key ("I" for information? The spacebar?) for the full name. Otherwise, the user is merely guessing about which file to load into which slot for multi-disk games and applications.

IMG_5199.JPG

You and I seem to be on similar wavelengths. Yup, I have been shuffling bits around to do just that. :) It's coming.

-Thom

6 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

New build is up with the wifi fix.

You don't build as root (sudo). just run make as regular user, then cp the binary as root

Permissions issue on a standard Raspbian build - if I don't build with sudo, it won't build at all outside my own regular user directory.

Ultimately I deleted everything, cloned the current repository and built it from scratch. Worked fine (though I did have to use sudo for the same reason as above). 

7 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Permissions issue on a standard Raspbian build - if I don't build with sudo, it won't build at all outside my own regular user directory.

Ultimately I deleted everything, cloned the current repository and built it from scratch. Worked fine (though I did have to use sudo for the same reason as above). 

Clone the repo in your home dir or make a 'build' dir in your home dir and clone it there.

There's no reason why you have to be root to build tnfsd.

Edited by mozzwald
No reason

37 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

Clone the repo in your home dir or make a 'build' dir in your home dir and clone it there.

There's no reason why you have to be root to build tnfsd.

You will still need sudo to move the binary to the usr/local/sbin directory, so no big deal. As I said before, I have it working fine.

14 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

So either display the full name below, or allow the user to press a key ("I" for information? The spacebar?) for the full name. Otherwise, the user is merely guessing about which file to load into which slot for multi-disk games and applications

What about scrolling the current selection?  That way you will have no problem with extra long filenames. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, manterola said:

What about scrolling the current selection?  That way you will have no problem with extra long filenames. 

That would work too, though there are always disagreements about how fast to scroll, especially if the filename is very long or very short. Scrolling the name would certainly take up less screen real estate than a display panel, though it might take up some computational resources too.trust 

I trust Thom and his gang of merry code boffins will figure out a good solution. :) 

14 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

You will still need sudo to move the binary to the usr/local/sbin directory, so no big deal. As I said before, I have it working fine.

Actually it is easy enough to modify you $PATH and install it in $HOME/bin.  Actually Debian has this set by default, if you 'mkdir $HOME/bin' bash will look there for executables.

2 minutes ago, leech said:

Actually it is easy enough to modify you $PATH and install it in $HOME/bin.  Actually Debian has this set by default, if you 'mkdir $HOME/bin' bash will look there for executables.

I'm using this on an RPi Zero W. I'm running Raspbian (and not even the latest image ...) not Debian.

As I said, it's working fine. :) 

27 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I'm using this on an RPi Zero W. I'm running Raspbian (and not even the latest image ...) not Debian.

As I said, it's working fine. :) 

Ha, Raspbian IS Debian.  But cool that it is working.

When are the rest of us getting this device?

#FUJINET #ATARI8BIT Because the Read Directory call can specify a length in AUX1, we can give it double duty displaying the primary file list, and a view for longer filenames. @DrVenkman

#FujiNet #Atari8bit CONFIG now mounts disks quicker, by returning to the file list after selecting the disk slot for the previous entry.

• Like 3