IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

9 hours ago, Mathy said:

Would it be possible to control modern Home Automation devices via FujiNet?

It should work easily. For my few automation projects I just expose HTTP API so you can turn on/off devices, FujiNET can do that as it's regular HTTP Call. For Bigger project you can set up some centralized device (RPI for example) running https://www.home-assistant.io/ and you can control multiple devices via REST API https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/api/rest/ that FujiNet will be capable of doing as long as you can make such calls.

Of course for more advanced stuff you may need to write some code but it's all doable and should not be that difficult.

Hello Thom

47 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

... since an Atari 850 compatible Wi-Fi modem is provided, you can play existing MODEM games over the network...

MIDI Maze (I'm talking about the standard version, not the FujiNet version) has an 850 setting.  The above probably doesn't mean that we can use the 850 setting on the "old" version of MIDI Maze to play MIDI Maze over the internet using FujiNet instead of via the MIDI MATE interface?

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy
Added the last six words

2 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Thom

MIDI Maze (I'm talking about the standard version, not the FujiNet version) has an 850 setting.  The above probably doesn't mean that we can use the 850 setting on the "old" version of MIDI Maze to play MIDI Maze over the internet using FujiNet instead of via the MIDI MATE interface?

Sincerely

Mathy

Why would you, when we literally provide a midimate emulation explicitly for Midi Maze?

image.thumb.png.76a8f009a6a6c9a5ae801fb164fe5ae5.png

The Midimate mode fully simulates the midimate interface (complete with the required SIO external clock), and sends MIDI data over UDP instead of MIDI wire.

-Thom

• Like 2

sigh. Someone's not paying attention.

Midi Maze isn't patched at all. We literally made FujiNet emulate a Midi Mate. Do I need to drive the point home? ;)

p.s. yes, it will. There is nothing stopping it. you would do the following:

Person 1: person 2's address

Person 2: person 3's address

Person 3: person 4's address

Person 4: person 5's address

Person 16: person 1's address

done.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

Hello Thom

4 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

sigh. Someone's not paying attention.

Midi Maze isn't patched at all. We literally made FujiNet emulate a Midi Mate. Do I need to drive the point home? ;)

p.s. yes, it will. There is nothing stopping it.

Yes I am.  You're not getting what I'm trying to say.

There's "MIDI Maze emulated by FujiNet" and there's "MIDI Maze on card and disk".  You just told me "MIDI Maze emulated by FujiNet" will support up to 16 players, just like "MIDI Maze on card and disk" has always done.  What I was (and still am) asking is, can "MIDI Maze on card and disk" use the "Atari 850 compatible Wi-Fi modem provided by FujiNet" to play MIDI Maze over the internet.  The question "Why would you want to, when FujiNet can emulate  MIDI Maze" isn't relevant for my question as I just want to know if it would be possible without patching either "MIDI Maze on card and disk" or the FujiNet firmware (again, not talking about "MIDI Maze emulated by FujiNet", but FujiNet itself).

Sincerely

Mathy

• Sad 1

Sigh.

*deep-breath*

THERE IS NO FUJINET VERSION OF MIDI MAZE. :)

Yes, you can use the 850 mode. But why would you want to? You don't need to, AT ALL. Unless you are playing with somebody else who needs to use the 850 version (like a non-fujinet player), but that's limited to two players.

The midi maze (midimate) mode is part of the production fujinet firmware. period. Has been for weeks, now.

and you don't have to use a special version of the cartridge. IT JUST WORKS. Just plug the cartridge in, or use one of the zillions of versions on cart or disk out there. It just works.

So please, don't be dense.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Reminds me of a similar conversation about what position the MIDI-Thru port should occupy related to the IN and OUT, and insisting that there was a standard configuration. No matter how much I tried I couldn't convince them that there was no standard ? .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thom I just watched your video on editing a web page in AtariWriter using the N: device, and was blown away by how the refinements keep coming. I never imagined that this would even be a thing that we could do with our little A8's. And even though you ran into a few bugs as you were making the video, I'm sure those will soon disappear as you continue your development.

Soon I hope to be playing around with FujiNet myself. I know when I do I'll be going back through your videos ;) .

Cheers to to you and your fellow FujiNet developers for creating something truly awesome and ground shaking ? .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@mytek yup, the bug that you saw in that vid is a very subtle one that should be easy to fix. 

The N: device is a universal adapter to the network, and I will keep adding protocols. The two that are next on the block for me are SMB (for windows file shares), SSH (for connecting e.g. to your linux box shell), and NFS. It's only beginning.

-Thom

• Like 3

Hello guys

OK, I must have somehow become a victim of the similarity of the words "maze" and "mate".  Man it sucks when your brain plays tricks on you like that.  I see now that FujiNet "contains" a version of "MIDI MATE", not "MIDI Maze".

Sorry!

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

So when the FujiNet is at point of regular user release, could we create a sub-standard of HTML and a simplified Atari 8-bit web browser so that people can create web pages that could be viewed with Ataris but with modern browsers as well? I know you can see text now but obviously modern HTML isn't going to work well on an Atari. But if we create a new, simplified standard and someone writes an 8-bit web browser, than we can have a sort of new hybrid of a BBS and Nineties Internet just for our Atari 8-bits. Maybe other classic computers could adopt this standard as well.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

@mozzwald put two and two together and figured out that since we hook up ALL of the SIO pins, and we could generate clock signals easily, that it would be very trivial to make a Midi Mate mode. I was blown away when it started to work! :)

Now I kinda want to run some A8 MIDI tracker software and see if I can get my software synth modules to play over the LAN ... Hmmm. :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Allan said:

So when the FujiNet is at point of regular user release, could we create a sub-standard of HTML and a simplified Atari 8-bit web browser so that people can create web pages that could be viewed with Ataris but with modern browsers as well? I know you can see text now but obviously modern HTML isn't going to work well on an Atari. But if we create a new, simplified standard and someone writes an 8-bit web browser, than we can have a sort of new hybrid of a BBS and Nineties Internet just for our Atari 8-bits. Maybe other classic computers could adopt this standard as well.

We've talked about possibilities for this.  I don't think there's a reason to create a new standard, necessarily. It could simply be a minimal subset of current HTML - that would automatically make it compatible with current systems.  It could also be something that already exists: WML was used for mobile devices in the 90's before they got powerful enough to render plain HTML. The advantage with that is that there is code out there that could be re-used/re-purposed.

The possibilities are endless, but someone with some free time will have to take on the task...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jamm said:

We've talked about possibilities for this.  I don't think there's a reason to create a new standard, necessarily. It could simply be a minimal subset of current HTML - that would automatically make it compatible with current systems.  It could also be something that already exists: WML was used for mobile devices in the 90's before they got powerful enough to render plain HTML. The advantage with that is that there is code out there that could be re-used/re-purposed.

The possibilities are endless, but someone with some free time will have to take on the task...

Yea, that is what I was thinking. Yea, there really is a lot that we can do with this. Even things we haven't thought of yet. 

Mmmmm......free time. If we only had more time. I'm not much of coder myself so all I can do is archive as much software as I can. We all try to do our part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

Now I kinda want to run some A8 MIDI tracker software and see if I can get my software synth modules to play over the LAN ... Hmmm. :)

This has been discussed, e.g. by @bocianu so I definitely see this happening sooner rather than later. We could implement RTP-MIDI (aka AppleMIDI) to do this.:)

-Thom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allan said:

I had envisioned gopher to handle this, as its data format would be perfect for 8-bit consumption (without all the pesky HTML parsing), but we'll try everything. If I want to make a grand point: we are trying to make a box to try ALL THE THINGS, and to make enough breathing room to do so. :)

-Thom

• Like 1