IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

4 hours ago, tschak909 said:

Because MULTIPLE people have asked, including @bhall408 and @Bill Lange

#Atari8bit #FujiNet since an Atari 850 compatible Wi-Fi modem is provided, you can play existing MODEM games over the network, such as Commbat from Adventure International.

This is one of my all time favorite games of the 8 bit era, I've only ever played it on my TRS-80s and I was very happy when I heard there was an Atari version.

Manual can be found here:  https://archive.org/details/Commbat_1981_Adventure_International/mode/2up

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

could we create a sub-standard of HTML and a simplified Atari 8-bit web browser so that people can create web pages that could be viewed with Ataris

34 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

we'll try everything

extending the very capable hypertext system found on the FLOP disks to grab or launch content from the internet could be a way to go if the Czech Atari Club is OK with code/tools being used etc.

a bonus of that approach could be that work has been done there already for language support, so could potentially be expanded to cover German or Polish content, for example.

image.thumb.png.2f6b67fe2917df6fe3e5a72648b22705.png

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

extending the very capable hypertext system found on the FLOP disks to grab or launch content from the internet could be a way to go if the Czech Atari Club is OK with code/tools being used etc.

a bonus of that approach could be that work has been done there already for language support, so could potentially be expanded to cover German or Polish content, for example.

image.thumb.png.2f6b67fe2917df6fe3e5a72648b22705.png

The output of this, btw, looks exactly like what a GOPHER browser for the 8-bit would look like. (and could use existing gopher tools and servers)

-Thom

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tschak909 said:

I had envisioned gopher to handle this, as its data format would be perfect for 8-bit consumption (without all the pesky HTML parsing), but we'll try everything. If I want to make a grand point: we are trying to make a box to try ALL THE THINGS, and to make enough breathing room to do so. :)

-Thom

I also thought gopher would work for this and AFAIK Abbuc are looking at some sort of gopher thing for their website eventually.

Gopher is really well suited for this, but the big down side is that it would require setting up custom (Gopher) servers for the purpose and the result wouldn't be compatible with modern clients (not without adding a gopher client front end, of course).

Maybe that wouldn't be a big deal, however.  I think ideally the protocol would allow for Atari-specific features (colors, images, etc.).

• Like 1

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ANYONE WORKING ON FIRMWARE CODE:

Fujinet-platformio has been ported forward to the new PlatformIO Esp32 2.0. 

This is only of interest if you're hacking on the code in vs.code.

To upgrade:

* Select Platforms from PIO Home in Quick Access

* You should see an upgrade notice for Espressif 32. Upgrade it. After the upgrade, you will move from 1.12.x to 2.0.

* Once this is done, delete your .vscode and .pio folders, and re-start vs.code.

Thank you,

The Management

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have started adding pages describing JSON parsing to the wiki:

JSON Parse: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/N%3A-SIO-Command-%2480---Parse-JSON

JSON Query: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/N%3A-SIO-Command-%2481---Query-JSON

and there is a page being written on the JSON queries. This page will change drastically as I work through all the use cases:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/JSON-Query-Format

• Like 1

it occurs to me, that since the behavior of an HTTP POST is consistent, that is:

• Open Connection
  • Write the document you're POSTING
  • Read the response from the server.

There is no need for an explicit XIO for "I'm done, send off the POST data."

Because you'd instead do something like:

READY
OPEN #1,13,3,"N:HTTPS://SOME.POSTY.ENDPOINT/create"

PRINT #1;"Some POST Data"
PRINT #1;"Some More POST Data"
PRINT #1;"And Some more POST Data"

INPUT #1,RES$:REM SEND THE POST, RETRIEVE THE RESPONSE.
CLOSE #1

As I am thinking through this, I may need to actually alter how GET happens to send at least ONE status command, if no interrupt is present (there wouldn't be if you just did a bunch of PUTs), I dunno... need to really think this through.. sigh.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tschak909 said:

it occurs to me, that since the behavior of an HTTP POST is consistent, that is:

• Open Connection
  • Write the document you're POSTING
  • Read the response from the server.

There is no need for an explicit XIO for "I'm done, send off the POST data."

Because you'd instead do something like:

READY
OPEN #1,13,3,"N:HTTPS://SOME.POSTY.ENDPOINT/create"

PRINT #1;"Some POST Data"
PRINT #1;"Some More POST Data"
PRINT #1;"And Some more POST Data"

INPUT #1,RES$:REM SEND THE POST, RETRIEVE THE RESPONSE.
CLOSE #1

As I am thinking through this, I may need to actually alter how GET happens to send at least ONE status command, if no interrupt is present (there wouldn't be if you just did a bunch of PUTs), I dunno... need to really think this through.. sigh.

-Thom

Turns out, I HAVE to have an explicit POST DATA command:

After writing post data:

XIO 80,#1,13,3,"N:":REM SEND OFF POST DATA

• Like 1

Am currently debugging the ability to send POST requests, which are somewhat special in HTTP verbs, in that they not only send data across, but they also can send back a response.

There are a couple of bugs that are present:

(1) While I can send a JSON post response directly and correctly into the parser (via XIO 128), I seem to have problems simply reading the POST output. 

(2) While I can send custom header keys with custom values, I can't seem to set Content-Type. It always wants to set it to application/x-www-form-urlencoded. This is all fine and dandy for most form output (not even getting into the hell that is MIME multipart form encoding!), but will be a big problem when I e.g. want to send JSON data back!

In addition to a whole host of edge cases I probably haven't even gotten to, yet...

but, I present a screenshot nonetheless, of a POST response being formulated with a custom header.

WIN_20200915_22_05_31_Pro.thumb.jpg.a0047ac2fb4d29e87d951f918e6c846b.jpg

-Thom

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tschak909 said:

#Atari8bit #FujiNet what would an Atari 8-bit Twitter client look like? You can run it over on ATARI-APPS.IRATA.ONLINE in the Mocks directory: WIN_20200916_20_22_49_Pro.thumb.jpg.904a69c9f30fff2b3c181028fd6ab4e0.jpg

Wow getting more and more interesting all the time. Now it just needs to know where to place line breaks, so as to not chop words into 2 pieces, thus making it easier to read.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mytek said:

Wow getting more and more interesting all the time. Now it just needs to know where to place line breaks, so as to not chop words into 2 pieces, thus making it easier to read.

Yeah, lots of UI issues to work out, while I am also working on the various bits required for this to actually work. I put this together as a test, to clear my head of HTTP protocol adapter issues.

-Thom

• Like 1

There's nice little SDX command-processor program for mounting images into D1-D8 drives of SIO2IDE and SIO2SD, named S2I and S2S respectively, written by @trub

Maybe there could be S2F, for mounting files from Fujinet's microSD into it's drive-slots?

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jacques said:

There's nice little SDX command-processor program for mounting images into D1-D8 drives of SIO2IDE and SIO2SD, named S2I and S2S respectively, written by @trub

Maybe there could be S2F, for mounting files from Fujinet's microSD into it's drive-slots?

Thom has already written such command-line utilities. Even better, you don’t need to mount files from the SD card only - they can be mounted from LAN and internet-based hosts as well. These utilities are discussed further back in this very thread, I think.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Thom has already written such command-line utilities. Even better, you don’t need to mount files from the SD card only - they can be mounted from LAN and internet-based hosts as well. These utilities are discussed further back in this very thread, I think.

I just added a command summary to the repo's readme.

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-config-tools

• Like 1

Speaking of FujiNet features in general - has there been any recent progress in simple CAS file support? I saw some GitHub traffic about it a little while back (maybe a week?) but nothing since then and no indication of a test build available with the feature included.