IGNORED

Atari 2600 console with 157 games (Ended)

Yadi

The auction has ended!

Hello everyone,

I knew about this site for a while, but never really joined until I had a reason... maybe I should have joined before, but oh well...

I decided to sell my Atari 2600 collection after several years, and after a few days up on eBay, I told myself, why not share it with all of you passionate AtariAge members.

Please find my eBay auction linked : https://www.ebay.ca/itm/202824086484

If you have questions, I'll keep an eye on this thread just in case and activated the notification alerts... :)

P.S. Trying to make the link to work with the [ebay] code, but seems I'm not successful...

Edited by Yadi
Auction ended

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

$250 is pretty steep as an opening bid for what you are offering in that auction. Best of luck with your auction none the less.

I know... I was a bit afraid of losing money ($250 is the amount I spent over the last few years on a part of my collection), and didn't want to use a reserve...

If it's not selling, I might change my approach and start at $1 with a reserve instead...

But I figured that with the value over $1000, it wouldn't be too bad... we'll see...

Its a pretty good start price, many rare games in there for the new Atari collector. I would prefer a higher price over reserves myself. I don't ever bid on reserves anymore,... a few times I had won "not met" reserves, and still not get the item, because it didnt meet the sellers reserve price, so they bailed out.

PS,

If you divided the rarest games (sell seperate) from this lot and remove the unworking vader console... it could actually help bids and sales, as shipping cost goes down, and often people just want working consoles, I tried to sell a half-broken sears machine and for just 7 dollars extra with a working Jr console and they said, drop price to 20 bucks instead of $27. Makes sense as we both saved on shipping.

If you wanted to try that, I would suggest lowering start bid by $100 or so, but just my two cents.

Good Luck ! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

Its a pretty good start price, many rare games in there for the new Atari collector. I would prefer a higher price over reserves myself. I don't ever bid on reserves anymore,... a few times I had won "not met" reserves, and still not get the item, because it didnt meet the sellers reserve price, so they bailed out.

PS,

If you divided the rarest games (sell seperate) from this lot and remove the unworking vader console... it could actually help bids and sales, as shipping cost goes down, and often people just want working consoles, I tried to sell a half-broken sears machine and for just 7 dollars extra with a working Jr console and they said, drop price to 20 bucks instead of $27. Makes sense as we both saved on shipping.

If you wanted to try that, I would suggest lowering start bid by $100 or so, but just my two cents.

Good Luck ! 

Thanks! I might actually try that if I don't sell... rarest games by themselves and only the working console with regular games... a bit more troubles, but if it allows selling them... :)

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 5:45 AM, Yadi said:

I know... I was a bit afraid of losing money ($250 is the amount I spent over the last few years on a part of my collection), and didn't want to use a reserve...

If it's not selling, I might change my approach and start at $1 with a reserve instead...

But I figured that with the value over $1000, it wouldn't be too bad... we'll see...

I'm not trying to be a downer but there is no reality in which anyone sees that as $1k worth of goods. The idea of $1 and letting it ride for a week will problably net you the best possible results.

6 hours ago, Shawn said:

I'm not trying to be a downer but there is no reality in which anyone sees that as $1k worth of goods. The idea of $1 and letting it ride for a week will problably net you the best possible results.

I'll split the package after the listing ends tomorrow if it's not selling... and start smaller...

3 hours ago, Yadi said:

I'll split the package after the listing ends tomorrow if it's not selling... and start smaller...

The lot isn't your issue, it's the price. The fact that you are looking at it as $1k in value as you mentioned, is a serious problem. If you are able to get a single bidder at the $250 you started it at, you should consider that a success. Much more is sold for much less all the time.

12 hours ago, Shawn said:

The lot isn't your issue, it's the price. The fact that you are looking at it as $1k in value as you mentioned, is a serious problem. If you are able to get a single bidder at the $250 you started it at, you should consider that a success. Much more is sold for much less all the time.

Then PriceCharting is useless? Most retro game stores I know are pricing their games based on PriceCharting... if people are paying less for more, then sellers are getting screwed over... I'll keep my lot before giving it away to people who doesn't want to pay a fair price, but I guess it's more about no one wants Atari 2600 games anymore... the retro store near me told me that it's no longer selling, and buyers are no longer looking for Atari games and console...

It might just go back to the basement to collect dust... no problems... lol

It's not so much that PriceCharting is useless, but it can be misleading, especially for common titles.  For example, your listing shows a value of $6.64 for Space Invaders.  That's a title that would go unsold in the $1 bin at most game stores.  And you've got 2 of them, for a total claimed 'value' of over $13. 

There's a lot of things that can throw off the pricecharting algorithm: shipping costs, condition, completeness, etc.  A game that sells for $4 with free shipping isn't a $4 game, but the algorithm will think it is.

You're right that Atari collecting has slowed down.  You might be better off waiting for the next wave of nostalgia.  You might also consider selling the lot locally through Craigslist, OfferUp, Kajiji, facebook, or whatever.  Sometimes people will pay more if they can see the item in person and don't have to pay shipping, plus you save the fees, the hassle of packing and shipping and avoid the risk of a chargeback.  I've found this to be a much better way of selling larger items.

Edited by krslam
  • Like 2