Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hloberg

a TI-DIR bug thats been driving me crazy SOLVED!

Recommended Posts

for a while all my Windows 10 PCs have had a 'issue' with TI-DIR. every time I tried using TI-DIR on Win10 the screen would jump to the left when I clicked on it. eventually TI-DIR would move it self off screen.  made it unusable for me. My XP, Win7, no problem though. But, other people with Win10 weren't having the same issue. Why? Well, I found out why. On my Win10 PCs I put the taskbar on the left, other PCs on the bottom. for some reason if the task bar is anywhere but the bottom it freaks TI-DIR out and it starts dancing around the screen. when i moved my taskbar back to the bottom, TI-DIR started working fine. just FYI if anyone has had a similar problem.   

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! My boys moved the task bar over last week and I was seeing something similar- I didn’t connect the two until you said that.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aha is this the problem! I also see this on my PC now but only happens when the taskbar is at the left or the top of the window. If the taskbar is at the bottom or right side it is all fine.

 

Have seen this problem years ago with Windows NT and a traffic controller simulator (Ti99Dir share parts of the same move/resize/refresh code) when the user also had some Micrososft Office taskbar at the left side of his screen. Every time a line in the traffic controllers simulator was printed the window moved up and disapperead off screen.

 

So this means that if the taskbar is at the left or top side of the screen for some reason a resize or move message is sent to Ti99Dir's window everytime there is some other update needed in that window.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ti99Dir version 6.4b is ready to download.

 

The problem was in a function that is used to calculate the position and dimensions of all objects in the Ti99Dir window and is called after everything the user does because one or more (other) files could be selected, or the slidebar should be moved or ....  etc. In this function the main window was repositioned also when the main window wasn't moved or resized. This triggers sending a new WM_SIZE message.

 

When the taskbar is at the bottom of the screen the position of the main Ti99Dir main window remains the same when the user clicks in this window. For some unknown reason the position of the Ti99Dir main window is appearantly moved to the left or top when the taskbar is at the left or top. The number of pixels moved is equal to the size of the taskbar. Anyway ... I removed the call to a MoveWindow function and everything seems to work fine.

 

 

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had that issue under Win 7 even with the task bar on the bottom, but it's intermittent and sometimes resolved by playing with the display settings or after a reboot. I'll check and see if the new version solves it.

(And yes I have no intention of paying Microsoft $$ to upgrade to Win 10).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

(And yes I have no intention of paying Microsoft $$ to upgrade to Win 10)

If you run Windows 7 Pro it is a free upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

If you run Windows 7 Pro it is a free upgrade.

I don't unfortunately. My desktop PC is at least 7 or 8 years old but still does the job as it was a top of the line Alienware when I bought it, but it's not worth shelling our nearly a couple hundred bucks to upgrade and better save it for a new computer eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

I don't unfortunately. My desktop PC is at least 7 or 8 years old but still does the job as it was a top of the line Alienware when I bought it, but it's not worth shelling our nearly a couple hundred bucks to upgrade and better save it for a new computer eventually.

That is the key... I do not advise spending money on an old computer when it could be put to a far more powerful new machine.  That old machine will run Linux pretty well, too :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 8:11 AM, F.G. Kaal said:

Ti99Dir version 6.4b is ready to download.

 

The problem was in a function that is used to calculate the position and dimensions of all objects in the Ti99Dir window and is called after everything the user does because one or more (other) files could be selected, or the slidebar should be moved or ....  etc. In this function the main window was repositioned also when the main window wasn't moved or resized. This triggers sending a new WM_SIZE message.

 

When the taskbar is at the bottom of the screen the position of the main Ti99Dir main window remains the same when the user clicks in this window. For some unknown reason the position of the Ti99Dir main window is appearantly moved to the left or top when the taskbar is at the left or top. The number of pixels moved is equal to the size of the taskbar. Anyway ... I removed the call to a MoveWindow function and everything seems to work fine.

 

 

thanks! I can put my task bar back on the left were I like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I've had that issue under Win 7 even with the task bar on the bottom, but it's intermittent and sometimes resolved by playing with the display settings or after a reboot. I'll check and see if the new version solves it.

(And yes I have no intention of paying Microsoft $$ to upgrade to Win 10).

I still run Win7 on my multimedia PC. Also still run WinXP on an old IBM for games. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hloberg said:

I still run Win7 on my multimedia PC. Also still run WinXP on an old IBM for games. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

How do you know that it is not broken? Please consider that outdated, out-of-service software is an inherent security threat. Of course, it depends on whether you connect to the Internet or not. But even if you only rarely visit web sites, pull documents, run some seemingly safe piece of software, your computer is in danger of being hacked. And the threat is rising.

 

Although I am not really known for promoting MS stuff, my advice is: Fix early, fix often, keep backups in case things may go wrong, and throw that old piece of hardware on the dumps if it does not run the latest software release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mizapf said:

How do you know that it is not broken? Please consider that outdated, out-of-service software is an inherent security threat. Of course, it depends on whether you connect to the Internet or not. But even if you only rarely visit web sites, pull documents, run some seemingly safe piece of software, your computer is in danger of being hacked. And the threat is rising.

 

Although I am not really known for promoting MS stuff, my advice is: Fix early, fix often, keep backups in case things may go wrong, and throw that old piece of hardware on the dumps if it does not run the latest software release. 

it has Malwarebytes on it. anyway, it just plays movies and TV off my HD.

the XP just plays old games. believe me, I advocate the same to my clients to upgrade to Win10 when it's strategic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TiDir Version 6.4b 20191122 now just crashes and shuts down from Windows 10 when it encounters a file error.

It used to just say file error, or can not read file, this is a real issue.

 

I booted up a older version from 2018 and it reports a file error but 2019 just shuts down and you have to restart TI Dir every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 12:56 PM, RXB said:

TiDir Version 6.4b 20191122 now just crashes and shuts down from Windows 10 when it encounters a file error.

It used to just say file error, or can not read file, this is a real issue.

 

I booted up a older version from 2018 and it reports a file error but 2019 just shuts down and you have to restart TI Dir every time.

I'm not getting that problem. I still get file error when I try to read a bad file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

Me, too. Sounds like an issue with your "flavor" of Windows 10.

Using the very latest build of Windows 10 November 2019 Update 1909

 

Not using a older version, mine is the newest released and current as of 1 Dec 2019

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using the same version and build without any problems whatever. Check to see if your TI99Dir configuration file has become corrupted.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...