IGNORED

Chiptune Artist Looking to Work on Homebrew!

POLARIA POYON

Hi! I'm chiptune artist POLARIA POYON and I'm looking to get involved in atari 7800 homebrew! The 7800 dev scene always seemed really fun to me since you could theoretically hook up any soundchip to it, so I have a lot of ideas for how to approach scoring an ost.

Ive done chiptune for projects before, including Mega Man Maker and a Master System homebrew called Lain VS The Castle of Evil. 

I have a few soundcloud links to give you an idea of what I'm capable of!

If you're interested please contact me on my twitter @polariapoyon! Thanks!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, POLARIA POYON said:

Ive never finished a song with it but I understand how it works. I admire the "crunchy" saw bass you can get out of it, very fun!

There seems to be a new 7800

soundchip ‘in town’, called the PokeyONE.

If working with 7800 homebrew is something you contemplate, getting into this chip may be getting into the future of 7800 homebrew sound.

But... I’m no expert.

The standard 7800 hardware uses the same soundchip as the old 2600 with its many limitations.

Still, I’ve heard music that has atmosphere and some quality using ‘only’ this original old chip.

Edited by Giles N

22 hours ago, POLARIA POYON said:

PSG soundchips in particular (NES, Master System etc.). I'd actually love to work with AY more, I never really get the opportunity to.

Got it, thanks!

I'm committed to using the BupChip we designed for Rikki & Vikki, but would like to add facilities for interfacing with other sound chips in the next generation mapper design I'm doing. Will add the SN and AY to the list.

On 11/21/2019 at 6:29 AM, POLARIA POYON said:

Hi! I'm chiptune artist POLARIA POYON and I'm looking to get involved in atari 7800 homebrew! The 7800 dev scene always seemed really fun to me since you could theoretically hook up any soundchip to it, so I have a lot of ideas for how to approach scoring an ost.

Ive done chiptune for projects before, including Mega Man Maker and a Master System homebrew called Lain VS The Castle of Evil. 

I have a few soundcloud links to give you an idea of what I'm capable of!

If you're interested please contact me on my twitter @polariapoyon! Thanks!

Given the quality-sound here^, I’d love to hear you making versions of Afterburner (level 4 from Afterburner2 arcade), ‘Passing Breeze’ (Out Run) and ‘Keep your heart’ and ‘shake the street’ from Turbo Out Run!

Edited by Giles N

16 hours ago, Giles N said:

There seems to be a new 7800

soundchip ‘in town’, called the PokeyONE.

If working with 7800 homebrew is something you contemplate, getting into this chip may be getting into the future of 7800 homebrew sound.

But... I’m no expert.

The standard 7800 hardware uses the same soundchip as the old 2600 with its many limitations.

Still, I’ve heard music that has atmosphere and some quality using ‘only’ this original old chip.

The 2600 soundchip is extremely limiting, but its not surprising given it was developed with only sound effects in mind. It's especially impressive when I hear people get actual tunes coming out of it.

28 minutes ago, POLARIA POYON said:

The 2600 soundchip is extremely limiting, but its not surprising given it was developed with only sound effects in mind. It's especially impressive when I hear people get actual tunes coming out of it.

Indeed... 

I would say Ikari Warriors, Midnight Mutant, Dark Chambers (intro), Mario Bros, Food Fight, Dig Dug, Scrapyard Dog manages to sqeeeze lots out of it.

I’m not sure how aquainted you are with the 7800 game library.

When Atari discontinued support for it in 1990 a handfull of games were almost-finished, but not released.

Later ‘Klax’, ‘Sirius’, ‘Plutos’ and some others were either completed or released as demos for enthusiasts.

Among these is a Chuck Norris based game - Missing in Action.

It has good graphics, and some cool gameplay elements. 

But boss-fights are unfinished so you cannot defeat them and go to next level. Instead you use the hardware switch next to joystick ports to open a level-select screen.

Completing such games or demos seems to be very much, or at least a wellknown part of the Atari7800 homebrew-community or project-doers.

I think it would be cool to have Delta Force (as from the Delta Force movie) like music theme for the MIA game.

How it could best be performed using 

1) the TIA (standard) chip

2) Pokey Chip

3) PokeyOne Chip

could be interesting to hear ‘takes on’.

I started a thread about porting Pac Land (1984 arcade) to the 7800 some months ago.

But at least one fella has done a lot of work there already.

Ok, I threw some thoughts and ideas and impressions out there.

I think you have a really nice sound to your tunes.

Easy on the ears, still have power or punch.

Cool stuff.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi POLARIA POYON, here's one for you to try out with the synthesizer/sound chip of your choice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KRl_pLl4vo

It is one of the most beloved themes in the world and it inspires many fond nostalgic memories for those who watched the original 1986 CCTV television adaptation of Xi You Ji (Journey to the West), based upon a classic work of Chinese literature.  The music has a haunting lyrical quality to it, so it might be difficult to do justice to with chip tunes but that is where the challenge lies.  ;-)

On 12/22/2019 at 12:26 AM, Giles N said:

@POLARIA POYON

Would be cool to hear

1) a TIA sound-chip version of Delta Force main theme

2) PokeyOne sound chip version of Delta Force main theme!

Anyway, good luck with all your projects!

There is a Missing In Action game released, that I think could need a few improvements, both as to background music/sound and programming...

... which is why I bring it up...

Fair ‘nough - it would be halfway of fully into the ‘hack’ contra ‘homebrew’-realm, but it would be a place to start... or a place to... learn... or add..

Edited by Giles N

• 8 months later...
On 11/23/2019 at 6:38 AM, TailChao said:

Got it, thanks!

I'm committed to using the BupChip we designed for Rikki & Vikki, but would like to add facilities for interfacing with other sound chips in the next generation mapper design I'm doing. Will add the SN and AY to the list.

I don't understand why the BupChip is not THE defacto sound chip for the 7800. Rikki and Vikki has the best audio I've ever heard produced on the ProSystem! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, aaron1677 said:

I don't understand why the BupChip is not THE defacto sound chip for the 7800. Rikki and Vikki has the best audio I've ever heard produced on the ProSystem! 

My understanding is that most developers are already invested in Pokey. Migrating between sound chips requires learning a whole new set of tools, etc. - it's not trivial. Support for it in emulators is also still limited to BupSystem.

I wholly credit @RushJet1's talent and dedication for the quality of Rikki & Vikki's soundtrack rather than the BupChip's capabilities. We could have stuck something like a YX5200 on each cartridge to play back WAVs or MP3s - but he put the time in to learn our weirdass toolchain and apply some of the cool tricks used in more limited sound generators to a sampler.

12 hours ago, Jinks said:

What would the bupchip and supporting cart hardware cost to make per board? 

Has anyone even considered this chip?

I think cost was already covered in this BupChip topic, but it's around $4 - $5 per unit in quantity. You also have to program the microcontroller, but this doesn't add too much time if your rig is designed for it (ours was). The only inquiries we've gotten about any of the hardware developed for Rikki & Vikki or theoretical future stuff have been from a handful of developers from outside this community.

Addendum : But if we're gonna talk BupChip it should probably continue here, rather than clogging up a portfolio.

Edited by TailChao