IGNORED

*NEW* Super Mario for the SNES (Homebrew ROM)

TheCoolDave

Hey all, 

I just ran into this on my feed on Twitter, and WOW, I cant wait to be able to play it. It looks epic...

Video/pics here...

Some examples from above...

EJ2eq6tWoAAXoki?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EJ2eq6tXYAAWTP2?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It's a completely new game, all new levels, 4 player capable and stays faithful of the original.  There is a rom out there for it, that I found, if you follow some of the messages on the above link, you should be able to find it. 

I have a Super Wild card but, the floppy drive is dead. I ordered a Floppy Emulator and it's due in tomorrow... This means I have the rom and I cant even play it tonight :(

It really does look incredible and the dev put years of work into it..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

Why do people even try? Nintendo is just going to shut this down anyway.

I say for people to grab the rom before it goes away...  The original dev wont even say who he is... And people do this because they love the game.

"Due to copyright reasons, the dev obviously doesnt want this shared under his name and won’t offer it for download in any official way."

And yes, Nintendo will shut it down once they catch wind of it... but, I got a copy !

Edited by TheCoolDave

Yeah I can see what you mean, it's not hard to find newsupermarioland really considering it has been archive online already so there's a good org anization of people getting it out there before the hammer is dropped.  I'm very very curious to see how this handles given the system it is made for that had to take some considerable work.

Fired it up for a moment in bsnes being lazy, I'm mostly impressed, has a few weird quirks unless that's the emulator causing it, but byuu is no slouch so I don't know.  I'm playing terribly at it so it may want to be SML but it handles differently and I don't think it's keyboard mangling it.

Edited by Tanooki

6 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah I can see what you mean, it's not hard to find newsupermarioland really considering it has been archive online already so there's a good org anization of people getting it out there before the hammer is dropped.  I'm very very curious to see how this handles given the system it is made for that had to take some considerable work.

The controls are decent. Id give them a 6-7/10. Its definitely not at Super Mario World level but for a homebrew not bad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

The controls are decent. Id give them a 6-7/10. Its definitely not at Super Mario World level but for a homebrew not bad.

Ahh ok good, I was hoping it wasn't me just having issues with keyboard play as I've done that for decades now since the early emulators days of the mid 90s.

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Ahh ok good, I was hoping it wasn't me just having issues with keyboard play as I've done that for decades now since the early emulators days of the mid 90s.

Im pretty sure its meant to handle like the gameboy games and in that reguard its better than those. There is less wonkyness and not as choppy.

There are reports on Twitter that it behaves a little oddly on real hardware via SD2SNES, but that it's hit and miss. I grabbed a copy and would like to play it at some point, but I'm going to wait to see if there is a revision to address those reports. 

edit: I read a little further and apparently it's just a 1-CHIP issue caused by an obscure brightness setting in the SD2SNES. Probably doesn't affect most users. 

Edited by derFunkenstein

What's the big deal about posting the link here to the ROM download, jeez...a search takes you to Reddit with a link to Archive.org

Anyway, my son and I played it last night and we quit cuz we got stuck. We went down a pipe and there's a room with a bunch of coins and two walls on either side and one has to jump on top of the other to get to the upper block to collect the coins and then we couldn't figure out how to get out. My son thought you had to do wall jumps and go upward but it was so laborious we said fuck it let's watch The Matrix instead.

It's OK though. It fixes the one thing I couldn't stand about the original Super Mario Bros was Luigi would just have to sit there and do nothing the whole time Mario was on a run. Boring.

BTW: are there any other home brews for the SNES and NES that I might have overlooked where the ROMs are available for download? I haven't kept up with the scene at all.

Edited by VectorGamer

Ive played this quite a bit now and the more I play the more I like it. Today my kids and I beat it in 2 player mode and they had a lot of fun too. We did run into a problem a couple of times where player 2 controls stopped working. Once they got put back into a bubble they started working again. Id love to play 3 player but dont have a multi tap. This might be the game that gets me one.

I did a full stream of it earlier today. It's fun overall. Really nice attention to detail when it comes to replicating the old Mario Land stages, secrets and all. There's even an Expert mode you can unlock by beating the game, just like the original.

I've heard issues with the jumping. I feel the movement and jumping under normal circumstances feel decent enough. It's when you're stopped, jump and need to make fine-tuned tweaks in the air where problems arise. Also, hitting blocks doesn't feel natural, as Mario can sometimes lose all momentum. The wall jumping is hit or miss too, but it's a nice feature to have nonetheless.

I don't see myself revisiting it often, but for a homebrew game built from the ground up, it's pretty cool.

12 hours ago, VectorGamer said:

What's the big deal about posting the link here to the ROM download, jeez...a search takes you to Reddit with a link to Archive.org

Anyway, my son and I played it last night and we quit cuz we got stuck. We went down a pipe and there's a room with a bunch of coins and two walls on either side and one has to jump on top of the other to get to the upper block to collect the coins and then we couldn't figure out how to get out. My son thought you had to do wall jumps and go upward but it was so laborious we said fuck it let's watch The Matrix instead.

It's OK though. It fixes the one thing I couldn't stand about the original Super Mario Bros was Luigi would just have to sit there and do nothing the whole time Mario was on a run. Boring.

BTW: are there any other home brews for the SNES and NES that I might have overlooked where the ROMs are available for download? I haven't kept up with the scene at all.

Well if you can track it down or ask the right person there is a stunning homebrew that PIKO used to tell called HIND STRIKE.  Basically if you know Pilotwings, that after the game part where you play in the chopper and do attack runs, the entire game is like that but entirely rounded out into a fantastic package and like Pilotwings uses the DSP chip too.  Due to that, it was expensive for Piko to sell, so few copies got sold, it was over my willingness to buy it at the time even and it was/is a solid solid game.

• Like 1

Donkey Kong Country 1 I take it?  That one really is a shining jewel of the system and the potential I think people just didn't realize until that dropped when it came to the eye and ear candy side of the system outside of basic RPGs which don't have to resort to wasting as much cpu power considering they're fairly static.