Sign in to follow this  
matthew180

Intrigue Software's interesting history

I stumbled across this article and found the history of Martin Webb very interesting:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-10-13-the-boy-behind-the-biggest-coin-op-conversion-of-the-80s

This paragraph was very unexpected and surprised me:

" Although Martin was only 17, he was already a seasoned programmer with more than a dozen games under his belt. The majority of these were original titles for the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A home computer which were mainly sold via mail order. His dad managed the business - and therefore Martin - and also produced the graphics for the games. The company, Intrigue Software, got off to a good start and built up a decent reputation in TI-99 circles. "

I have never heard of Intrigue Software or any of their 99/4A titles, does anyone know any of the software they produced?

• Like 5

Intrigue produced games such as Quasimodo Help, Decathlon, Mania, AdventureMania, and a few others, for the TI99.

Martin Webb has actually had some input on this forum, a couple of years ago.  He also made games independently of Intrigue, he wrote a game or two for "Newday Computing", namely Alpine Quest. (A graphical text adventure).

Intrigue were one of the strong-sellers in the UK in the 80's for the TI.  Ciro has a few of their titles on his site and I know Vorticon has or two as well.

Some of their games came in nice cassette boxes such as the one shown in the picture.

PRODPIC-2393.jpg

Edited by Firefly
showing picture of intrigue cassette
  • Like 3

Beneath the stars by Intrigue Software was my first cassette game I had back in 1983. Unfortunately don't have that one anymore 😢

Panic on the titanic is the only other title I don't have. 20190429_163357.thumb.jpg.3919853a3c8a11fd1cb9c60bdfa00e4d.jpg20190429_163342.thumb.jpg.e9020ed8e3d9ed087307a2c7ec10ec27.jpg

• Like 1

I'm just disappointed that the thread isn't titled "Intrigue Software's intriguing history"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, matthew180 said:

I stumbled across this article and found the history of Martin Webb very interesting:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-10-13-the-boy-behind-the-biggest-coin-op-conversion-of-the-80s

Love this byline:

"Martyn launched Retro Gamer magazine in 2004 and has been typecast as a lover of rubbish old games ever since."

I tried to check the site out, and I get the result you see below.  This seems to be happening more and more lately, it seems more sites do not like connecting over VPN's.

Maybe I have a setting wrong or something.

2053166845_VPNOn.thumb.JPG.8e9d553b5d3c1f5566f9e76cacd09dea.JPG

5 hours ago, JB said:

I'm just disappointed that the thread isn't titled "Intrigue Software's intriguing history"

I almost wrote that, but decided it was too cheeky. ;)

Those are some nice looking boxes!  It still amazes me that anyone could make a living or sell games written in BASIC, especially on the 99/4A.  It also makes me wonder how much doing these games actually prepared Martin for the Sega port?  It is quite a leap from BASIC to doing an assembly language port of a high-speed arcade game, and on a system with a different CPU and graphics (not that BASIC prepares you for assembly at all, but maybe he started dabbling in 9900 assembly?)

11 hours ago, Firefly said:

Martin Webb has actually had some input on this forum, a couple of years ago.

Oh really?  Cool.  What is/was his forum alias?

Has anyone played any of these?  I'm wondering what the play-ability was like, or how the adventures compared to others of the day like the Scott Adams titles, etc.?

10 hours ago, matthew180 said:

I almost wrote that, but decided it was too cheeky. ;)

Those are some nice looking boxes!  It still amazes me that anyone could make a living or sell games written in BASIC, especially on the 99/4A.  It also makes me wonder how much doing these games actually prepared Martin for the Sega port?  It is quite a leap from BASIC to doing an assembly language port of a high-speed arcade game, and on a system with a different CPU and graphics (not that BASIC prepares you for assembly at all, but maybe he started dabbling in 9900 assembly?)

Oh really?  Cool.  What is/was his forum alias?

Has anyone played any of these?  I'm wondering what the play-ability was like, or how the adventures compared to others of the day like the Scott Adams titles, etc.?

I've played his text adventures, I think either adventuremania or mania was one of his, and I owned back in the day, Alpine Quest, that he wrote.

The parser was a strange one; you couldn't just type EAT FOOD ... it wasn't even a two-word parser, you had to type EATFOO so three letters of first word, no spaces, and three letters of last word .... I now realize why i couldn't get off the first part of Alpine Quest because that would have been the same.  

I can't remember his handle on here, I think it's just his name? .... I remember me telling him about my difficulties with Alpine Quest and bless him he apologized ! Seems a really nice guy.  I turned around and asked him if he'd like to write any more games for the TI now that he's discovered the hive of activity surrounding it ... it was the last time I ever heard anything from him.  Perhaps after reading that article I see why he might not want to.  I hope he keeps in touch on here anyhow.  

I think he learnt 6502 assembly in a certain space of time like a year, and then they dropped on with US Gold. I couldn't imagine the pressure!

Edited by Firefly
  • Like 1

>I tried to check the site out, and I get the result you see below.

More than likely a security plugin for your browser or a setting.

Best bet is the plug the original address in to the way back machine, that's what I had to do.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hey Martin! :) i am Ciro from Italy, glad to see you here!

At this link, you can see all the stuff i collected and published on the TI99iuc's DataBase, some of the stuff still missing anyway and i think some titles will be very hard to find still :)

http://www.ti99iuc.it/web/index.php?pagina=cerca&ricerca=intrigue&cerca=Cerca

IntrigueTapes.thumb.jpg.c15ad6a19d65189528498a3f4fe4a024.jpg

Yes, i have some questions please 😛 

I still have a pair of original Catalogs to scan and add to the DataBase, in one of these, there are listed some a pair of titles that i never seen published, for example:
image.png.9f96d84bc2bdea8773f9e17b96984330.png  image.png.4abfeca1e2c1d08d16ed0d208144ad66.png  

Have you memories about these?
because, for example, I missing the number G12 in the collected tapes and i always wondered to discover which title could be the missing one :) 

in addition, I found "Panic on the Titanic" numbered as G21 have you memories if this was the last one published, could you confirm, please 😛 ?

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 1

Cool a programmer from back in the day... I have 3 of the games. Living in Norway it was not so easy to get games. But I got at least 3 of them.