IGNORED

What are your three favorite PC programs in support of the TI... and why.

Omega-TI

39 minutes ago, TheBF said:

TI-DIR:  INVALUABLE  for file management PC<->TI99<->PC

Classic99:  Lowers my blood pressure versus using floppy disks all the time. :)

TeraTerm:  Really flexible terminal for communicating with the TI99

I agree on TI99Dir.  I use it for converting formats, reading TI text files for cutting and pasting into PC programs as well as managing files on my TIPI, although I also use my browser for that function as well.

I also agree on Classic99.  Classic 99 shares the BASIC programs subdirectory on my TIPI.  So if you have your TIPI setup as a network drive on your PC, it's awesome.

• Like 1

Classic99 - Debugging and development; Indispensable 

TI Image Tool - I've had more luck with it than with TI99Dir, where reading and writing NanoPEB CFs are concerned. 

Notepad++ - I mean, it's not like it even does all that fantastic job.  But it does a pretty good one, and I use it all the time.  REGEX Find/Replace and custom syntax highlighting and what have you are really handy, when editing XB (in tandem with Classic99's support for simple pasting). 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PeteE said:

Magellan - makes the pretty pictures

I'm glad somebody mentioned it. I didn't since I have been the main developer for 6 years. But Magellan has been the starting point for all of my games, and I think I have used it for thousands of hours.

Many people have mentioned xdt99, but few people know about the xdt99 plugin for IntelliJIdea, which I think is the best thing that has ever happened to PC development tools for the TI-99/4A. It may seem strange or difficult to use a Java IDE for TI-99/4A development, but actually it works perfectly fine, and you have a lot of tools available (like syntax highlighting, code completion, and renaming labels everywhere in one go) that you don't have when using notepad++ or similar.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Most of us use PC's in support of our TI hobby, and some of these programs it seems are invaluable.  So, what are your "TOP THREE" and WHY?

If I have to rank them, I guess I can put 3 at the top.

For development of software + hardware:

xdt99
Magellan
Kicad

There's a list beyond that:

cygwin
JS99er.net
Classic99 (this trades off as #1)
Notepad++
Tidir

WinCUPL

Convert9918

Classic99

TI99Dir

Convert9918

Since it was "3 favorite", that's it. I know there are now more capable tools than TI99Dir, but I'm just so used to it, even the UI decisions that infuriate me. ;)

Magellan is super helpful for me, even for just trying things out to see what they look like. xdt99 is definitely the toolchain I like the most (I wrote Dragon's Lair with it), but I still use Asm994A too often, again, just because I'm used to reaching for it. ;) Likely, eventually that will replace Asm994A and Ti99Dir completely for me.

Technically, "in support of" would also include my PDF reader, since I always have a least a couple of manuals open. ;)

• Like 1

. Classic99, whats not to love? Well, other then garbled speech.

. TIDir, allows me to rummage through a folder of .dsk files looking for goodies.

. TIPI web interface (that counts, right?), for getting the goodies over to my TI.

. CS1er, for those times i just want to go "bare console" like the old days. Not many people would bother with tape now days, but i find it enjoyable to keep a modest selection of goodies on tape i can fire up from time to time. Plus, if i ever get tapes with a TI purchase i can attempt to dump them to PC with this program.

Edited by jrhodes

Subject said PC, but, I have my MacBook Pro in between the PC workstation and my 4A. 

Mac top 3:

BlueWizard

TIImageTool and dd

xdt99

iTunes

MacOS X runs all the Unix based stuff better than Cygwin on the PC. Also TIImageTool lets me write to the CF card with dd. I got that working on the Mac. 

BBEdit takes the place of NotePad++. I've been using BBEdit since 1994 for everything. (Ooh.. back in 1994 I even used ResEdit to make 4A bitmap tiles and sprites, convert to chars, sent text docs via XModem. Nice to have Magellan now.)

I have the cassette version of Line-by-Line-Assembler in iTunes. For some reason, the 4A will load fine from the line out from the MacBook, but not my PC's sound card.

xdt99 is Python and for speech project I've just been running it on the Mac, because CF card. Only the Mac runs BlueWizard for LPC encoding.

Also on the Mac are iverilog and the IceStorm toolchain, because they're wonky on the PC, but that's not really 4A, it's BlackIce attached to the 4A sideport.

I keep everything synchronized with GitLab, so technically git is a must-have.

V9T9  - Got me back into the TI.   As painful as it was to configure it!  Oh and my slow computer running it! 

CLASSIC99 - Without it...  I wouldn't be in this forum.

Magellan - Almost everything I do in the TI realm begin with Magellan.

XB256 and the compiler kept me here.  I know they are TI native, but had to give a shout-out!