IGNORED

Sturmwind (Ex) Jaguar References

PeterG

A few days ago I saw Sturmwind Ex for download in the Xbox store and also for a very fair price so I had to grab it as I always wanted to see what had become of that game and I could not check it out on Dreamcast.

I knew there were some jaguar references in the original version but I only heard about one taken out. Imagine my surprise today when something resembling Skylar made an appearance. Nice touch and kind of warm to see that this game somehow acknowledges its origin. 

I wonder what other references you might have catched.

For me it was the two bosses that we knew from screenshots and the small nuon video of Native.

Also some of the enemies and a few background constructions reminded me of the little bit we got in the jaguar Demo.

I must say Duranik created a really nice game even though it is not without it's flaws. I somehow didn't like the ship's sprite and it somewhat looks detached from everything else on the screen. Other than that the graphics are exceptional. Although I must say that sometimes I had difficulties to make out what hit me or what is an object that is just background or does damage to the ship.

Also a bummer that there are no intro and outro videos but I heard those are in the Dreamcast version. And the life/weapons system is great once you understand it... Really nice game I recommend it to everyone here.

What other jaguar references did you pick up?

IMG_20191122_203853.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was following the game back before it was released for dreamcast and duranik posted a cute picture at the time saying they were posting a picture of the different dreamcast models they were testing compatability of the game on.  The picture had like 5 dreamcasts and a jaguar with jag cd all lined up. It was no doubt an intentional nod to native. 

• Like 3

I hadn't heard of Sturmwind Ex, but I don't have any of those online/download type consoles. I have played Sturmwind on the Dreamcast and its fantastic. I love shooters like that, its a tad hard for me so I can only make it so far, maybe 5 levels or so. But the graphics are great. The Dreamcast is an awesome machine, and there were a grip of great games on it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Is it still on sale?  Would love to grab this on Xbox even though i do have it for Dreamcast.

Does anyone know why they gave up on Native for the Jag?  Seems like it was a promising start....

I just bought it a few days ago so I assume it is still there. Don't know if it was reduced in price or regular, I paid something like 12€ which is a great price for the game.

I'm probably dating myself a little bit, but "Native" was one of the reasons I got into the Jag scene... It's a great looking game and it displayed what was possible for the Jaguar back in the late 90s. The PS1 was at its highest thus the dev kit cost for it was too high; the Jaguar, however was readily available... Native and other games were being made for it thus the system at that time showed, then very decent 3D capabilities, but not PS1 kind of capabilities, but that was OK thus the potential was there and was good enough for me; lol Great memories. It's too bad the Jaguar architecture was so bottleneck and riddled with all kind of bugs; seem like everyone wanted to tame the big cat to do what the PS1 or Sega Saturn could do, but the Jaguar is a great 2D system for sprite based graphics... In fact it's a monster with 2D graphics, but a little unconventional with 3D stuff. Games like Native got me to look hard at the Jaguar inner workings because it was a bit of a mystery when I first got into the scene. I certainly have a much better understanding of the system than I did way back when; the question remained "What do I do with what I know?"... I'm gonna use it of course.? 

7 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

I think dev stopped in the 90s. I seem to recall that due to the dev hardware they were using at the time, the current demo filled up all available memory, leaving no possibility of adding sound or additional graphics. 

No one funding/publishing the game - development stopped. They debunked the info of "no possibilty of sound" on their website.

Sturmwind EX was just released on consoles two weeks ago. There is a Switch and Xbox one Version. A Steam Version is also available since a couple of

weeks.  Your support would be greatly appreciated.

Nice that someone still remembers Native after almost 20 years, it certainly would be time to finish this now ;)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

I was in college when Native was being made... In fact I would get online on the campus to see how game would progress where at that time I didn't have Internet until some months later. At that time I was still into drawing comic art and was just getting into music composition on the side. Those were some nostalgic times.

• 2 years later...

Yeah it just pops up in one level, no particular deep connection to a story or anything else that I can remember. I'd just regard it as a neat reference or in-joke.  In fact I'm not even sure if Sturmwind has a story, I remember beating the game and although there is an ending fmv, it was very meta and didn't dive into any in-game lore around the pilot, spaceship or levels.

13 hours ago, doctorclu said:

So any reason in this game's storyline why Skylar's head just shows up for a few seconds?

Skylar's head is not in the photo. You are clearly hallucinating Skylar's presence all around. Does she speak to you audibly or in your head?

• Haha 1

If only Atari had released this instead of Trevor Mc Fur as the first title after Cybermorph things would have been completely different for the Jaguar even if they would have released it as a free demo or whatever as to what could come later.  Trevor Mc Fur was not giving anybody any hope of next gen stuff this was.