IGNORED

Zyx game collection #1

7 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

The hitboxes here are standard per sprite half size vertical and horizontal from center of sprite.

And this is why the collisions in *ALL* your games are wrong.

The hitbox sizes do *NOT* scale with the sprite scale size.  Again, it's a failure to understand something rudementary on your part.  Stop projecting and writing essays that just dig the hole deeper.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

The hitbox sizes do *NOT* scale with the sprite scale size.  Again, it's a failure to understand something rudementary on your part.  Stop projecting and writing essays that just dig the hole deeper.

I already know that.

18 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Then you should probably try implementing it so collisions work in at least one of your games.

You're not even reading what I'm writing.

I said that the hit boxes here are configured here as half of the sprite size from the center. I said I am not manually adjusting the hitboxes as the sprites scale because it isn't necessary for the objects here as all collisions take place

at the same point here ie the character never actually moves inward or outward of the playfield

I never implied that the hitboxes automatically adjust when you're scaling a sprite size.

You're taking what I'm writing out of context and accusing me of projecting so I'll spell it out more clearly; At no point did I make the claim that when you scale a sprite the hitboxes also scale. In order to do that you must set the

hitboxes manually. (in some cases you may need to use an offset) What I did say was that hitboxes would not need to be scaled with the sprites here as that is not the way collisions take place on the character

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

23 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

That's NOT what I said.

select case jeffchoice

case win
 // listen to what people are saying here and learn and grow from it and make better games. //

case lose
 // throw a tantrum, ignore everything, continue on the path of failure //

end select

I have 2 new years resolutions:

1. 352x240.

2. Not responding to child-men.

[addendum]

I'm going to say what other's here won't - because saying bad things about homebrew is somehow taboo.

As a free release, this would be barely passible as a beginners efforts that should be encouraged.

As a commercial release, this looks HORRIBLE.

No doubt you'll consider it finished, slap a $70 tag on it and shill it to whoever you can fleece, and that is the real crime against the community here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

select case jeffchoice

case win
 // listen to what people are saying here and learn and grow from it and make better games. //

case lose
 // throw a tantrum, ignore everything, continue on the path of failure //

end select

I have 2 new years resolutions:

1. 352x240.

2. Not responding to child-men.

No I didn't say what you said. I never said that the hitboxes scale automatically when you scale a sprite. You took what I said out of context then you insulted me saying that I lack basic comprehension skills all based off of your incorrect statement of what I said. You are in the wrong and you're disrespectful, and you are continuing to be disrespectful even after the fact that I pointed out you made a mistake.

that whole case statement you just made is in itself childish.

I know you won't admit your error and apologize and I see the direction you want this to go so I'm done here.

To Linkovich and Welshworrier  thank you for clarifying what you meant. You also did not come off as disrespectful when I didn't understand something, thank you for that as well.  At least I learned something new today.

• 2 weeks later...

From someone who is creating a shoot-em'up on a 8bits system and decided not to use a collision buffer because RAM, can I suggest something? Just a tip from a fellow game programmer who had to solve collision issues multiple times already :)

So... From what I've seen so far, all your games suffer from collision issues. And since they are arcade games, that's by far their biggest flaw (imo at least).

Since bounding box collision math is trivial, I have the feeling that what you're missing IS the testing/debugging part. So try the following:

1) Add a DEBUG flag in your code that can be used to show additional information when activated.

2) Using that flag, SHOW the bounding boxes of ALL your collisionable objects (banana and player, etc)

3) Add frame control over your game loop, so that you can precisely investigate how and when your collisions actually happen.

The 2 first points are not a lot of extra work. The third maybe a bit more, depending on the state of your current game loop.

But I can assure you that in the end, being able to see how your system(s) actually behave is IMMENSELY helpful.

Hope that helps.

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 5

• 5 months later...