IGNORED

US Power Supply Purchase Options?

TheGrandPubaa

Hi there. I was fortunate enough to pick up some free(for the cost of driving about 4 hours round trip) Commodore 64 stuff in varying states and conditions. I have lots of ideas, lots of projects, lots of questions; but for the moment, I want to focus on the power supply. I have two of the vintage huge brick PSUs that I am terrified to attempt to use for any length of time given their propensity for killing chips as the fail. My C64c was tested and apparently works while my breadbin C64 powers on but doesn't function? Anyway, I need to source a modern power supply in order to start tinkering, testing, and toying with my stuff.

Doing some reading, i've seen a few different ideas and suppliers. Seemingly the most well recommended is a guy named Ray Carlsen that makes a DIY modern power supply(as well as the C64 saver thingie). Another is a Polish company named Electroware that make a similar PSU. Keelog makes a similar power supply as well. Finally, I have also seen a DIY option conjured up by Retro Recipes.

Ordering a unit from Ray Carlsen would be a perfectly fine option but for the fact that his is more of a hobby and therefore ordering something is like buying something from a mail order catalog with a mailed-off money order. Just a lot more steps involved than i'm used to in an Amazon/Ebay/Paypal age. So it could take a while for anything I purchase to get here, which is fine but a bummer since thanksgiving is coming up and i'm looking forward to a few days off.

Electroware's product seems okay(i've read pro and con reviews, so who's to say?), but being that they are based in Poland, shipping is expensive and I won't get the item until sometime in December according to the Ebay estimate. Which I guess is fine, but see the bummer note above.

I couldn't find a single review or comment about the Keelog PSU, so it's a straight up unknown quantity.

And then there is the DIY option. It could potentially be easier to source the parts(amazon or even rummaging around at goodwill for compatible wall warts) and faster to get started, and i'm not intimidated by any possible soldering, but there is the non-0 possibility that I will end up frying my hardware, which would be an even bigger bummer.

All this being said, can you think of any way I could possibly order a modern(safe) C64 PSU that could possibly get here within the week, or failing that, within the month of November? Ideally, this would mean a US supplier, but all things being equal, i'm open to any other reasonable alternatives.

Ray Carlsen is obviously an older gentleman and likes to do things old school. I was a tiny bit put off when he asked for a check to be mailed snail mail, but let me tell you I am SO glad I chose this option. The power supply he initially built me was totally custom. I wanted a PSU that could handle both a Vic-20 and a C64 to be powered on at the *same* time, and I wanted long power cables for each unit. What he built is a work of art. A few months later I kind of regretted the fact that I did not add the Amiga to the mix and I reached out to him. He built me a NEW PSU that could handle what I requested before *and* the Amiga 500 as well. He sent that to me first and requested I send the other PSU back with a check just covering the difference.

That said, I cannot speak highly enough of this man. Not to mention the PSU is *solid*. All metal, hardcore switches, nice relay click when it comes on and nice big green power light. You are not going to get another PSU better than this I am certain. It is built entirely for safety by a man that has been servicing the machines for longer than I have been using them.

It does not take long at all to get the PSU from him. It took longer for my check to arrive. Once he received it my PSU was at my doorstep three days later...and I live clear across the USA from him. And, when I wanted to change the spec of the PSU he literally had it built and shipped in a day. Go to Ray. You will not be disappointed in the slightest and I promise you that you will be back here in this thread thanking me for the advice ;)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2

My ideal PSU was quoted a little high for me for this time of year, so I'm asking for a barebones PSU quote with none of the bells and whistles; we'll see what happens there. Would be fabulous if I could get it by this upcoming weekend. Mind you, I'd still like the fancy one maybe after the holidays as I've got a 1541-II sans PSU and of unknown functionality. But that can wait.

Thanks for the liks. I can't say much about any of the power supplies, but I didn't knew about the Electroware power supply. I considered Ray Carlen's PSU severa times, but emitting a check outside of your own country is a bank nightmare and the shipping would have been prohibitive. I'm glad to know we have options!

10 hours ago, Punishermark said:

I have a custom from Ray. The process was straight forward and I received it in a timely manner. There are no better power supplies.

Wholeheartedly agreed. I have no direct connection with promoting Ray's stuff other than I went through the process and purchased one on the recommendation of other reputable contacts in the community. Very rare that I buy anything electronic related of "quality" in this day and age as everybody tries to cost cut where they can....but not Ray. If I needed another PSU he would be the first person I would contact. Best PSU for your Commodore you are ever going to buy, period.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 8:07 AM, StuOhQ said:

I've been fine so far with an ATOM by Commodore4ever. I'd like to upgrade to the newer one that has voltage info on a built-in display, USB-out, and an on/off switch on the box. 

I second this.  I recently bought an ATOM from Commodore4ever and have logged over 40 gaming hours with it.  It is so worth the peace of mind!

I just wish I had made the purchase a few weeks earlier.  My ignorance in believing that it was OK using my original PSU (since I always took care of it and it has worked perfectly since 1986) caused my first Commie to no longer work.  Regrettably I chose not to heed the vital information that is widely available here and on Lemon regarding these old PSUs.