IGNORED

Bosconian ultimate for Atari 5200

shanti77

5 hours ago, shanti77 said:

@Giles N I make Bosconian to Atari XL/XE and then I make conversion to A5200 :)

Atari XL/XE   and A5200 is almost the same hardware.

@mmervine I haven't A5200 , I have only A65xe and Altirra. In game can be some bugs. I try fix that bugs.

Would you be skilled/able to look into Atari 400/800/XL/XE source-codes and possibly - if it is whithin your interest - convert such games to the 5200?

I spent some time playing this tonight.  Really nice job!  A couple of things stand out to me:

1.  In game voice with no game stoppage, hesitation, or slowdown

2.  Controls are well done for the 5200 w/analog joystick

If you intend to do a 5200 cart release, you might want to consider implementing difficulty levels, added lives, or some type of game variations.

Thanks so much for your work on this, it is a great addition to the 5200 library!

r/mark

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 8:50 PM, shanti77 said:

@Giles N I make Bosconian to Atari XL/XE and then I make conversion to A5200 :)

Atari XL/XE   and A5200 is almost the same hardware.

Ok, if there are a few bugs, I hope these will be fixed, and that a 100% working game will be available in retro-stores on common cartridges. 

Cool to see new stuff developed and created.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 5:24 AM, Allan said:

Yes. By using bank-switching. These will not work with emulators though. You have to either build a special cartridge or us the Atarimax SD cart.

Was it Bryan or CPUWiz who created a 700K ROM cartridge for the 5200?  Just think, if someone makes a 1MB ROM cart, A8 Space Harrier could be done. Well, maybe if someone also created an easy RAM upgrade for the Mighty 5200!  :)

Imagine playing Space Harrier - as it's supposed to be - with an analog joystick... or... or... the CX53 Trak-Ball controller!!!  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/5/2019 at 12:24 AM, shanti77 said:

Only size :) Altirra play only 512K cartridge  (16x32K banks) , I use only 4 last banks, 12 first banks are empty.

Is it just a fluke that Altirra can handle the 512k cartridge?  Or was the 512k support in Altirra added specifically for this game?

I banged my head trying to add the bank switching code into A800 based on the Altirra code but I was able to get it working after I saw that you only use the last 4 banks.

• 2 years later...
On 11/24/2019 at 10:00 PM, Giles N said:

I see the bins are both 512kB and 128kB.

Is it technically possible to put these on 5200 cartridges?

(I know your question is old.)

I think it's technically not possible to put this on cartridges. 

The only 2 solutions I know about are Albert's service, and Joe's DIY PCB, and both of those max out at 32k. 

I would like to try for a friend who does not have an AtariMax, but I think it's impossible.

On 12/27/2022 at 1:29 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

@shanti77: Somehow, I managed to completely miss that a 5200 version of Bosconian had been released.  I'm glad that this thread was dug up, because it's absolutely one of the best games on the 5200.  Thank you!

I'm glad my necro-bump was actually useful. Bosconian is easily my most-played game on the 5200. I use it as an example of why people need a 5200. 

Amazingly, in the past couple weeks, Janusz made a “Final Version” for 64k XL machines with background music and possibly improved graphics:

• Like 2