shanti77

Bosconian ultimate for Atari 5200

Good job "shanti77". Already your Atari-800XL version of "Bosconian" was great and this version here is it also. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, shanti77 said:

@Giles N I make Bosconian to Atari XL/XE and then I make conversion to A5200 :)

Atari XL/XE   and A5200 is almost the same hardware.

@mmervine I haven't A5200 , I have only A65xe and Altirra. In game can be some bugs. I try fix that bugs.

Would you be skilled/able to look into Atari 400/800/XL/XE source-codes and possibly - if it is whithin your interest - convert such games to the 5200?

I spent some time playing this tonight.  Really nice job!  A couple of things stand out to me:

1.  In game voice with no game stoppage, hesitation, or slowdown

2.  Controls are well done for the 5200 w/analog joystick

If you intend to do a 5200 cart release, you might want to consider implementing difficulty levels, added lives, or some type of game variations.

Thanks so much for your work on this, it is a great addition to the 5200 library!

r/mark

• Like 1

Thank you for releasing this. I copied it to my SD card today for a throwback 1982-like Thanksgiving experience. What a phenomenal game! Incredible graphics, wonderful arcade sound effects, great title screen, terrific gameplay... this is a contender for best release of 2019! 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 8:50 PM, shanti77 said:

@Giles N I make Bosconian to Atari XL/XE and then I make conversion to A5200 :)

Atari XL/XE   and A5200 is almost the same hardware.

Ok, if there are a few bugs, I hope these will be fixed, and that a 100% working game will be available in retro-stores on common cartridges. 

Cool to see new stuff developed and created.

• Like 1

This is fantastic! Thanks very much! 

On the Atari max SD both the 512k and 128k bin files play fine. It's there any difference between them? 

Only size :) Altirra play only 512K cartridge  (16x32K banks) , I use only 4 last banks, 12 first banks are empty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2019 at 5:24 AM, Allan said:

Yes. By using bank-switching. These will not work with emulators though. You have to either build a special cartridge or us the Atarimax SD cart.

Was it Bryan or CPUWiz who created a 700K ROM cartridge for the 5200?  Just think, if someone makes a 1MB ROM cart, A8 Space Harrier could be done. Well, maybe if someone also created an easy RAM upgrade for the Mighty 5200!  :)

Imagine playing Space Harrier - as it's supposed to be - with an analog joystick... or... or... the CX53 Trak-Ball controller!!!  :)

Is there any difference between the 512K vs. the 128K version -- gameplay or effects-wise? Also will the 512K one work on AtariMax as well?

Edited by bikeguychicago

@Aking ATARI 5200 does not have enough RAM.

@Atari Nut :

- a little easier

- capturing the base interrupts "Red condition"

- continue , on title screen push joystick "up" and then press "fire"

- The same rules and points as the atari800 version

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2019 at 12:24 AM, shanti77 said:

Only size :) Altirra play only 512K cartridge  (16x32K banks) , I use only 4 last banks, 12 first banks are empty.

Is it just a fluke that Altirra can handle the 512k cartridge?  Or was the 512k support in Altirra added specifically for this game?

I banged my head trying to add the bank switching code into A800 based on the Altirra code but I was able to get it working after I saw that you only use the last 4 banks.