This round's game 2 of 2:

Gauntlet

ROM Name: Gauntlet (rev 14)

ROM File: gauntlet

Picked by: S.BAZ

DIP settings (changes from default shown in RED):

INTERNAL DEFAULTS

Rules:

• Please change your DIPs to the settings listed.  If you're unsure how to do this, please ask
  • Screenshots required
  • No continues
  • No save states
  • No cheats
  • Any working version of MAME can be used, but the ROMs provided for this competition will be verified to work on MAME v0.139.  The "user interface" version of MAME v0.139 can be downloaded at: http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui/

Competition ends: Sunday December 8, 11:59pm PST

PREVIOUS ROUND RESULTS:

TROG

Cynicaster

100.0%

youxia

82.4%

Ramses

80.1%

AtariWarlord

67.6%

Floyd Turbo

57.3%

S.BAZ

52.9%

asponge

51.2%

jblenkle

19.3%

zoyous

15.8%

Mangia-Boy

12.8%

hero2billions

11.3%

patbb

0.0%

MAME Offender

0.0%

TALBOT

Ramses

100.0%

AtariWarlord

80.6%

Floyd Turbo

78.0%

youxia

77.3%

Cynicaster

65.5%

asponge

61.8%

jblenkle

46.6%

S.BAZ

46.4%

zoyous

40.2%

hero2billions

25.2%

Mangia-Boy

0.0%

patbb

0.0%

MAME Offender

0.0%

OVERALL STANDINGS TO DATE:

STANDINGS TO DATE

Ramses

91.2%

Cynicaster

86.5%

youxia

78.0%

AtariWarlord

58.2%

asponge

53.0%

Floyd Turbo

52.6%

S.BAZ

29.8%

MAME Offender

25.3%

jblenkle

19.9%

patbb

19.8%

hero2billions

19.7%

Mangia-Boy

15.0%

zoyous

14.0%

bankp.zip gauntlet.zip

• Like 1

I take it "no continueds" in Gauntlet also means entering only one credit at the start of the game?

EDIT: I wonder if we should establish some further metrics for Gauntlet. Technically, you could run out your health point pressing on the first level. Should the score be based on points plus progress?

Edited by AtariWarlord
Had more to say.

4 hours ago, AtariWarlord said:

I take it "no continueds" in Gauntlet also means entering only one credit at the start of the game?

EDIT: I wonder if we should establish some further metrics for Gauntlet. Technically, you could run out your health point pressing on the first level. Should the score be based on points plus progress?

Single credit, best score.  

The key to Gauntlet is to get through the first 3 levels without getting hit.  It is possible, but it takes a lot of remembering where the spawns are.  Once you get to the 4th level, take your time and use your two potions wisely.  I've only made it to the 5th level once, but I found most of your points will be accumulated on the 4th level.  Lots of Grunts and Ghosts.  Hope this helps as this game can get very frustrating.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Floyd Turbo said:

The key to Gauntlet is to get through the first 3 levels without getting hit.  It is possible, but it takes a lot of remembering where the spawns are.  Once you get to the 4th level, take your time and use your two potions wisely.  I've only made it to the 5th level once, but I found most of your points will be accumulated on the 4th level.  Lots of Grunts and Ghosts.  Hope this helps as this game can get very frustrating.  

That's really impressive that you can get through level 3 without getting hit.

4 hours ago, AtariWarlord said:

I settle for Warrior simply because I'm too lazy to learn MAME's player 2, 3 and 4 controls. 

The easiest way to switch between characters is to map all players to the player 1 controls.  Then you can just activate the appropriate coin slot for the class you want to use.  Although, I personally haven't had much success with any class but warrior.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, asponge said:

That's really impressive that you can get through level 3 without getting hit.

Thank you.  I'm typically not that great at the arcade games, but I love playing them, so to do well is a bonus for me.  I have spent countless hours.  It takes a lot of back and fourth with only letting a few ghosts out of the spawn before destroying it.  Getting the diagonal throws down helps a bunch as well on level 3.  Keep at it.  Happy hunting.  I'm going to log some more hours tonight.  

Edited by Floyd Turbo

Only played these 2 briefly on ZX Spectrum. Never really could understand the allure of Gauntlet and found the West Bank, sorry - Bank Panic - only briefly amusing. So, didn't expect much but BP has totally charmed me...it's so funny, and addictive too, now one of my arcade favourites. Shame my brain is too slow for what starts going on in later levels.

I don't quite get the "Unfair" mechanism. It seems...unfair, sometimes at least, like when the customer cries help or the bandit has a gun in hand (when you shoot it) , and yet me blasting him is unfair? S'funny.

Had a score (~130K) but now I saw we're supposed to play on Easy and this was from the Medium difficulty. The Hard one is quite crazy, I didn't manage to survive one level yet :)

5 hours ago, youxia said:

Only played these 2 briefly on ZX Spectrum. Never really could understand the allure of Gauntlet and found the West Bank, sorry - Bank Panic - only briefly amusing. So, didn't expect much but BP has totally charmed me...it's so funny, and addictive too, now one of my arcade favourites. Shame my brain is too slow for what starts going on in later levels.

I don't quite get the "Unfair" mechanism. It seems...unfair, sometimes at least, like when the customer cries help or the bandit has a gun in hand (when you shoot it) , and yet me blasting him is unfair? S'funny.

Had a score (~130K) but now I saw we're supposed to play on Easy and this was from the Medium difficulty. The Hard one is quite crazy, I didn't manage to survive one level yet :)

I believe that you can play starting on any difficulty as long as you just use 1 credit.