IGNORED

Another SIO2PC and USB question

VW

I got a SIO2PC cable around 15 years ago from Lotharek off of ebay.  It has an Atari SIO connector on one end and a serial DB9 on the other end.  It has worked great over the years but I would like to use it with a Raspberry Pi and was wondering if I could just plug the serial end of the cable into a Serial-USB adapter and have it work.  I did some searching and it seems like everyone is doing basically the same thing by building their own SIO to USB cables.  It seems like the hard work should have been done already with my SIO 2 serial cable and was wondering if there was anything I should be aware of, a couple of people on youtube said they damaged their adapter somehow.  Thanks for any info anyone has!

No, it wont work, SIO2PC uses the command, Serial IN, Serial OUT, USB only gas 2 data lines, also SIO2PC has

a voltage convertor as RS232 used +/- 12VDC, USB is 5VDC, hence damage. (see attached SIO2PC circuit)

I have used SIO2USB, but not with a dedicated cable, I bought a USB to Serial cable (TTL Serial) for a few pounds and

used it successfully with Respqt.

sio2pc.gif

ttl voltage level usb to serial cables are easily available- using the Prolific chipset.  they are 2-wire; rx data and tx data only, so software expecting the COMMAND signal wont be happy- but if its possible to ignore command the  the flying leads of the cable can connect directly to the SIO port.  note that the flying leads will need something to adapt then to the SIO pins.

Edited by gpounce

Yes, using a USB-serial adapter with a standard DB9 connector should work fine.

In general I recommend getting a USB-serial adapter with the FTDI FT232 chip - these are well supported and usually have all the necessary control lines connected on the DB9 RS232 port.

Some time ago I tested with an (IIRC Digitus branded) adapter and my homebrew serial SIO2PC cable connected to a RPi and it worked just fine.

so long,

Hias

Edited by HiassofT
  • Like 2

On 11/26/2019 at 6:46 AM, HiassofT said:

Yes, using a USB-serial adapter with a standard DB9 connector should work fine.

In general I recommend getting a USB-serial adapter with the FTDI FT232 chip - these are well supported and usually have all the necessary control lines connected on the DB9 RS232 port.

Some time ago I tested with an (IIRC Digitus branded) adapter and my homebrew serial SIO2PC cable connected to a RPi and it worked just fine.

so long,

Hias

Thanks for the info, I must have got lucky with my USB-Serial adapter since I plugged it in to the RPi and my SIO2PC cable and everything worked great!  It's a generic adapter with no labeling that I found for $4 at my local electronics surplus store.