IGNORED

Street Rod 2600 (WIP)

TwentySixHundred

Street Rod 2600

It's grudge night and you're a small town folk with the passion for cars. You spend most nights out in the garage tinkering with your pride and joy. Build your way though the ranks drag racing on the street with your latest upgraded ride. Win races against fierce competitors to make your cash or lose to some the best on the streets. Spend wisely to upgrade because when you're outa cash you're done for the summer. Upgrade your ride accordingly to compete against those you think you have a chance of beating.

So browse the paper for upgrades and start tinking to work up your ride then hit the telephone to call and race competators that are always up for a race. Be careful not to jump the gun or you will get disqualified and lose cash for poor sportsmanship. Make sure to get those optimal gear shifts and use the rev range that provides the full horse power powerband. These are the fundamental components in the realm of drag racing and to become the king.

Still a WIP.

Racing Controls

• Joyfire = accelerator
  • joyup = shift gear
  • directionals = left-right

-Anthony

979811188_StreetRod260020200122_1.thumb.png.abf87b4ecb61108f993d2582b7d038bc.png

default_bas.thumb.png.1d825f83f9e0865ef4fbb520cd04dbf7.png

default.bas_1.thumb.png.605027ede8b52a658385fdbb7f64bb94.png

default.bas_2.thumb.png.108254b9af264dc6b3096a1f4e878f5f.png

default.bas_3.thumb.png.bf0561339b568a3a7a3d7964d638e4e4.png

default.bas_4.thumb.png.3c4bf117c9b6d1298c2cecac780e15d6.png

default.bas_5.thumb.png.6da9572074d85a9072bdf9db7ac0ab1c.png

Latest Build: Street Rod 20200528.bin

Street Rod 20200410.bin

Older Builds: Removed

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 12

We'll be featuring Street Rod 2600 LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Robot City (2019 WIP Update) by Thomas Jentzsch
- Street Rod 2600 (2019 WIP) by Anthony Quinlan aka TwentySixHundred
- The End 2600 (2019 WIP Update) by Carlos aka RaymanC

Archive Video of Stream

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

On 11/27/2019 at 1:15 PM, KevinMos3 said:

I love racing games.  This is a very impressive start.  I can't wait to see it progress.

Thanks for checking it out ?

On 11/28/2019 at 2:15 PM, psquare75 said:

Holy crap. This is one of my favorite DOS games. probably legit days spent playing with my dad back in the day.  This feels great. Features are on point so far. I'd even add a few if possible. 

One of my favorites too, it's been on my bucket list for a long time to bring this game to the 2600. Thanks for checking it out ?

On 11/28/2019 at 11:49 PM, JeffIrok said:

This looks promising!

Thanks mate ?

On 11/29/2019 at 5:11 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

We'll be featuring Street Rod 2600 LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:
- Robot City (2019 WIP Update) by Thomas Jentzsch
- Street Rod 2600 (2019 WIP) by Anthony Quinlan aka TwentySixHundred
- The End 2600 (2019 WIP Update) by Carlos aka RaymanC

343155377_20191129-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.d7c5909f2db29507d4ed43c5417aff17.jpg

Thanks for reviewing this project on ZPH James and the kind words. Was a great stream ?

13 hours ago, CrazyChris said:

batari Basic?

Yeah written in BASIC so what advantages DPC+ gives there is still many additional restrictions over assembler.

8 hours ago, classicgamer74 said:

Love it.  Can't wait to see how it progresses!

Thanks for the kind words and checking it out ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Sorry i been meaning to find some time, however the Mrs just gave birth this morning, so been a bit busy getting it all sorted the past few weeks. Should be making some progress soon when things settle a bit. ?

Congrats. with a 2.5 year old, I can tell you, it never 'settles'. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Im really keen to try and make some progress on this, yet the little one is non stop i can't even think let alone get the chance to sit down ?. For those interested i have no plans on abandoning the project, it's just waiting for the right time that i can sit and concentrate.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok small update and it's way over due... Nothing too major however it makes the race beatable by adding some backbone to performance upgrades. This part of the physics i feel is solid enough to build on, so i did. While other parts such as the opponent difficulty need improvements.

So for now the AI difficulty is still no different depending on the opponent raced (small improvements is better then none i guess). If you beat the opponent you net $200 otherwise you lose $100.

Changelog

• Performance Upgrades

Latest Build in first post or here Street Rod 2600 20200115.bin

• Like 2

Another small update -- Still broken in alot of areas and unlimited cash. However the game is somewhat more playable. Think of it as cheats enabled ?

• Starting Bankroll = 400
  • Finishing line guy added
  • Minor sprite and colour -- prestart up location changes ect
  • Minor changes to game balance
  • When race finishes there is a 2 second pause after race
  • Bug fix - After races you now return to garage rather then parts menu (still no idea why it did this, however added prevention code)
  • Some code clean up
  • probably something else im forgetting.

Latest Build: Updated in the first post or here Street Rod 2600 20200120.bin

• Like 2

New update - We now have a titlescreen to set the mood and add some body to the game. Thought this was really needed to make it feel alot more like a game rather then an experimental project. There is some small bugs so it's not perfect but will do for now until i iron them out. Special thanks to @RevEng for pointing me in the right direction with an issue i had.

1615815552_StreetRod260020200122_1.thumb.png.6a5215d079ad36f3475f4f8dcd99bf5b.png

Changelog:

• Titlescreen

Latest Build: Here and first post updated  Street Rod 2600 20200122.bin

-Anthony

• Like 3

Another update that's bringing it closer to an actual game

Changelog:

• bankroll improvements - no more free ride
  • gameover implemented - if you're outa cash and lose a race you're out for the summer
  • game balancing improvements - not sure if still too hard
  • some other background code clean up

Latest Build: Here and first post updated Street Rod 2600 20200122-b.bin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Games:
- Save Gaia: The Cy-Mage (WIP Exclusive Premiere) by Generation2 / Michael Brown aka EvoMikeUK
- Street Rod 2600 (2020 WIP Update) by Anthony Quinlan aka TwentySixHundred
- 1 vs 1 Pro Tennis (2020 WIP) by Edward Smith aka easmith

82141543_20200207-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.cffeca2232c51fcfe860958107d9f78d.jpg

• Like 2

Hi @ZeroPage Homebrew I had to rewatch the show as i fell asleep before it started (joys of having an 8 week old child). Anyway, just a recap of what i noticed with the issues you were having. For one, I'm thinking as the developer knowing the ins and outs it's probably alot easier for me. Secondly i'm using a keyboard with stella so getting the precise gear changes is probably easier again.

The opponent difficulty for the latest build is implemented rather then the older builds where all opponents were the same.

• red - easiest
  • green - intermediate
  • blue - hard

Performance upgrades are also in junction with the opponent difficulty. So having the first upgrade makes beating the first opponent alot easier, yet makes the second opponent hard ect.

• 4brl carb - small upgrade - $400
  • fuel injection - intermediate - $800
  • supercharger - large upgrade - $1,200

Further more finding the right rpm range is also critical, so shifting up a gear split second before max rpm is an optimal shift. It makes a world of difference to stay within the power band, otherwise you're not using the maximum HP of the engine. So all in all it's a bit of practice and listening to the engine to take note of when to shift up a gear.

I'm thinking i may change the initial startup bankroll back to $400 to give that 4brl carb upgrade for free. That way people have more of a chance on the easiest guy before progressing further.

Further more the reward to loss amounts were changed last minute, so depending on the opponent raced depends on the reward or loss. This is why the starting bankroll was $250

Basically

• easy win = $50 ; easy loss = -$100
  • intermediate win = $150 ; intermediate loss = -$300
  • hard win = $300 ; hard loss = -$600

The reason i changed this was to make the reward greater yet costly if you lose the race. This kind of adds the risk vs reward mentality of "should i grind it out for the next performance part" or "should i take my chances with an harder opponent".

Anyway great show and thanks for the feedback i can look into tweaking some things ?

So later public build as promised with $400 initial bankroll to give people a chance.

Changelog:

• opponent difficulty implemented
  • tyre screech of the line with slight torque steer
  • game balancing
  • score font fix
  • tree graphics revamped
  • cleanup of redundant code

Latest build: Street Rod 2600 20200208-b.bin Binary in first post updated

Please refer to previous post about scoring and game balance, cheers ?

-Anthony

Side note: i know i can word things backwards at times and is due to dealing with dyslexia my whole life. So bare with me and try to decode what i'm saying ?

• Like 1

Heya Anthony!

I just played the new build a bunch of times and I was finally able to beat the red opponent once in about twenty attempts, without any upgrade, hooray! It helped knowing that I need to shift just before max RPM, but saying that, it's still incredibly hard to beat him as I've only been able to do it once.

Once I've put in the first upgrade, I'm handily able to beat the easy red guy every time, but not even close to beating the blue guy. That means I need to beat the red guy 16 times before I can get the next upgrade. Luckily then it's only 8 times to beat the green guy to get the large upgrade.

Are you able to consistently beat the red opponent without the small upgrade or am I meant to buy the small upgrade right away?

- James

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Heya Anthony!

I just played the new build a bunch of times and I was finally able to beat the red opponent once in about twenty attempts, without any upgrade, hooray! It helped knowing that I need to shift just before max RPM, but saying that, it's still incredibly hard to beat him as I've only been able to do it once.

Once I've put in the first upgrade, I'm handily able to beat the easy red guy every time, but not even close to beating the blue guy. That means I need to beat the red guy 16 times before I can get the next upgrade. Luckily then it's only 8 times to beat the green guy to get the large upgrade.

Are you able to consistently beat the red opponent without the small upgrade or am I meant to buy the small upgrade right away?

- James

Yeah i am starting to think it's a little too hard off the bat. I was indeed just trying that myself without any upgrades. I am finding i can beat him about 60% of the time, however it requires near perfect runs (the margin is ridiculously tight). This is becoming the issue of trying to make the game challenging to prevent boredom, yet rewarding because it's not fun losing all the time.

I am also finding as the opponents have flawless runs every race the variance is somewhat lost. The learning curve really isn't there but rather set high from the start. Having the engine upgrade makes the difference of whether the opponent is easy or hard. Then having the second upgrade is basically the same deal for the intermediate opponent and so on.?

As for the blue guy you need the second upgrade at a minimum, although he is extremely even with the third upgrade.

Now i am at the cross roads of how to add some variables to the difficulty levels so they have variation. The hardest part is keeping the challenge while making it easy enough for those who haven't mastered the gear shifts. I can tone down the red guy it's just im afraid the game may become too boring without that challenge.

• Like 1