IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

6 hours ago, rensoup said:

Thanks, l I haven't got everything worked out but whatever priority I choose, over/under the playfield, I have to do more real time shifting mirroring (slow), plus that's going to require a lot of mem (don't have enough yet) so there may be quite a bit of preliminary work involved.

Then it's quite possible the frames may be to large for 2 PMGs for the hero, so may need repositioning/Size change with DLIs moving up and down to depending on the Y pos. This needs to be done for each character. And it has to be mixed with fixed DLIs for special item recoloring.

That's the main joy for me working on this platform, overcoming the limitations to get the best out of the hardware. Easy is boring :)

46 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Yeah but the stubborn coder would tell the business man the game won't be released unless it has PMGs and consumes every damn byte and CPU cycle available ?

Nice one. I like that attitude ?

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

I'm guessing on C64 you only need to copy the frames to a dedicated sprite area (not familiar with the C64 at all)

I'd assumed you'd come from the c64 scene. What platforms have you developed for previously?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rensoup said:

The most common pillars are aligned but there's another type which isn't, then you have gates and a bunch more objects which have to be properly masked, they don't need to be shifted or mirrored though.

I doesn't matter if you use OVER or UNDER priority. it's going to suck CPU time either way.

If the Object is "under" or behind some other object, you have to do additional calculations.

If the Object is in front of other objects, you just can draw it.

The PMg has the hardware priority.

The BBC Engine has solved a lot priority issues by handling the graphics "in byte boundaries". That's why the "Masking" in the software sprites is working (as the GIFs show)

Well, the original Apple Game does it also, but the 7 bit width needed to redraw the graphics.

On the C64 they kept the content size , because the Sprites helped to solve that.

2 hours ago, rensoup said:

I was leaning towards the OVER solution but after writing this I might just go with UNDER ?

I'm looking forward for your solution.

4 hours ago, pseudografx said:

I revamped my older attempt at PoP graphics, reducing the number of colours to 4 and polishing some parts a bit. It is also adjusted a bit better to character boundaries so 5-colour mode could be possibly used. I added TIX's awesome sprite in to check the proportions.

prince8.png

5 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Just an example in 4 colors (160 x 192) that I derived from the Macintosh version. It could also be reduced to 3 colors.

1094136207_PrinceofPersiafortheA8v2.thumb.PNG.c9118f0d291e9d2557f0eb30a267f4b5.PNG

well I'm storing everything compressed with deflate on disk. The  levels graphics take about 6KB so it may be possible to store an alternate set ?... I haven't decided it on using priority 0 or not, which would impose restrictions on the palettes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rensoup said:

Yeah but the stubborn coder would tell the business man the game won't be released unless it has PMGs and consumes every damn byte and CPU cycle available ?

hehe... now that sounds familiar (remembering days in the office ;)) balance out budget/time/features... :D

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

@rensoup, first of all, kudos for this attempt, and having @TIX by your side - well we can all see the awesome outcome!

you've mentioned in your post that you are using packed,de-packed - I guess you mean packing the levels and de packing them in real time right?

can you share some information about it?

Thanks!

Regarding depacking, I'm just depacking after loading the level, there's no depacking every frame or every screen if that's what you mean

1 minute ago, rensoup said:

Thanks!

Regarding depacking, I'm just depacking after loading the level, there's no depacking every frame or every screen if that's what you mean

In the example gifs you can see when you move from level to level there is a short flicker till next level is drawn, so I was wondering if this is a side effect of de-packing.....

8 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

In the example gifs you can see when you move from level to level there is a short flicker till next level is drawn, so I was wondering if this is a side effect of de-packing.....

Ah I see, no that's just me being sloppy, first versions were single buffered and I wasn't switching the screen off, it's a bit cleaner now!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rybags said:

All I can say is bring it on!

And if it takes a 1 Meg cartridge and/or 320K Ram then so be it.

Quality over compromises.

Whilst I agree you don't want to alienate people as well...I'm just grateful I got the Syscheck and have a shed load of ram :)