IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

9 hours ago, pseudografx said:

I revamped my older attempt at PoP graphics, reducing the number of colours to 4 and polishing some parts a bit. It is also adjusted a bit better to character boundaries so 5-colour mode could be possibly used. I added TIX's awesome sprite in to check the proportions.

prince8.png

Nice, I like this look also.

while waiting for the mods...(and TIX's sprite sheet!) here's another gif of what's coming shortly

popprev2.avi.gif.4939bc5cacf8de9bf5fef0dbe17098cd.gif

Sweet, looking good.

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

@TIX as I said earlier I’m glad it is you who is working on the project :)

I have a follow up question for @rensoup, how do you parse the PMG data from the png ? 
what tool do you use ?

It's just a bunch of C# functions that I slapped together. it's software sprites mostly... not that it make a difference.

Well I'm just gonna run them one more time on @TIX 's new sprite sheet and then maybe I can upload that first version?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, rensoup said:

It's just a bunch of C# functions that I slapped together. it's software sprites mostly... not that it make a difference.

Well I'm just gonna run them one more time on @TIX 's new sprite sheet and then maybe I can upload that first version?

Also, what is the widest of the prince in pixels? I see when he ducks he can be more than 8 wide pixel?

Edited by Yaron Nir

20 hours ago, rensoup said:

I'll probably have to go the same road as the A8 should be faster in theory but I have 4 software sprites (player enemy swords) with shifting masking and mirroring on the fly and then I apply hardware sprites for extra coloring. I'm guessing on C64 you only need to copy the frames to a dedicated sprite area (not familiar with the C64 at all)

I have to copy the C64 sprites from cartridge ROM to RAM and mask them as part of that copy loop. Each sprite is a 24x21 pixel image (well 12x21 wide pixels) which are 63 bytes in size. One game character is made up of 4 sprites (in different configuration such as 2x2, 4x1 or 1x4). 

19 hours ago, Tezz said:

That's the main joy for me working on this platform, overcoming the limitations to get the best out of the hardware.

?

This can be blessing or curse. It makes programming more fun but on the other hand you already have to consider and to know all the limitations before you start your project.

So therefore I'm quite interested to see where the Antic E approach + PMGs for extra colours leads.

13 minutes ago, patjomki said:

?

This can be blessing or curse. It makes programming more fun but on the other hand you already have to consider and to know all the limitations before you start your project.

Careful with this sentence. Once I wrote that in the past, all curses, flaming, and other bad stuff has been like a storm toward my direction ;)

13 minutes ago, patjomki said:

So therefore I'm quite interested to see where the Antic E approach + PMGs for extra colours leads.

It is possible. But I wonder about the Expense of Complexity for what rensoup is including ;) for the PMg shaping and particular masking.

3 hours ago, mrsid said:

I have to copy the C64 sprites from cartridge ROM to RAM and mask them as part of that copy loop. Each sprite is a 24x21 pixel image (well 12x21 wide pixels) which are 63 bytes in size. One game character is made up of 4 sprites (in different configuration such as 2x2, 4x1 or 1x4). 

ah yes of course you have to apply the mask buffer...

I saw the video posted on YouTube and it looks very very promising , job well done! 

@rensoupwhat screen mode is this? Char mode ? Bitmap mode ?

i thought that the prince is combined from player missile graphics by judging the outcome , it seems as if he is a software sprite , hence now I understand why @TIXis placing all the images in a png.... make sense.

so pre shifting ? Brute force 

how many images in mem you have prepared for this? Animation is really good.