IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

1 hour ago, Yaron Nir said:

I saw the video posted on YouTube and it looks very very promising , job well done! 

@rensoupwhat screen mode is this? Char mode ? Bitmap mode ?

i thought that the prince is combined from player missile graphics by judging the outcome , it seems as if he is a software sprite , hence now I understand why @TIXis placing all the images in a png.... make sense.

so pre shifting ? Brute force 

how many images in mem you have prepared for this? Animation is really good.

There's a youtube video already ?

As for your questions, it's all in the 2nd post at the beginning of the thread ?

number of frames I don't know, but it's a few hundreds I believe?

There seems to be somewhat of a glitch in the running cycle, TIX tweaked it already and it should be better now. It'll be in the next release (which may be some time away...)

There's also a bug when trying to turn around when running to the right, they guy keeps running... Yes, it's kind of annoying ?

4 minutes ago, rensoup said:

number of frames I don't know, but it's a few hundreds I believe?

figures.... with such animation.

quick question about the *.atr file you have posted. it doesn't work on my altirra, what type of settings do i need to change in order for this to run properly? (i experience a black screen and nothing else)

3 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

figures.... with such animation.

quick question about the *.atr file you have posted. it doesn't work on my altirra, what type of settings do i need to change in order for this to run properly? (i experience a black screen and nothing else)

an update: after about couple of minutes the game begins.... just wasn't expective a long loading..... super cool!

12 minutes ago, Franco Catrin said:

WOW you did in a few days what several of us were trying to do for a long time. I've just seen the first stage and got blown away!

Hats off. Excellent job!

few days ? hell no ?

I spend 2 months ripping out the BBC graphics code and doing some silly optimizations. I was working in a virtual environment (my 6502 core and D3D code which gradually replaced the BBC code)

Then I spent a good 3 months learning the Atari HW and doing various graphics and loading tests.

Getting the game to load and run was probably just a week, the level display code was just a few hours.

I spent a few weeks probably just on the main sprite routine, like the one you did for your test.

And speaking of your test, I believe your sprite routine may be faster as well as taking half the memory. I'm probably going to use it but if you're interested in tweaking it for Pop (clipping code mostly) I'd be happy to include it in the game (and credit you of course).

If I decided to stick to 4 colors, the game would be done and wouldn't require the extra cycles. But adding PMGs, although seemingly a simple task, is quite the challenge. I've had a taste with the torches and the potions.

Additionnally I'm running out of mem in the base 64KB, so you may have made my life a whole lot easier ?

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

an update: after about couple of minutes the game begins.... just wasn't expective a long loading..... super cool!

Yes loading time is an issue. You can speed it up by enabling D burst IO in configure system->acceleration

You also need to make sure you have accurate sector timing disabled in configure system->disk

6 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

exactly one minute and 20 seconds after turning on the computer

Thanks again for the comments everybody!

4 hours ago, +Adam+ said:

I'm very happy that PoP will finally get Atari 8-bit version, but please, please don't use sprites version with turban (in the final version)... If it's a problem, I can draw for you the movement phases without it :)

Well that's @TIX's choice and I'm fine with it ?

Like I mentioned earlier, for background graphics it would be quite easy to do a classic version as an alternative. For sprites it may be a bit more complicated if there is PMG coloring.

Additionally the sprite graphics take a lot of mem and so an alternate version wouldn't fit on disk. Perhaps for a cart version but that's a bit further away.

1 hour ago, miker said:

Ok, to be more serious:

Maybe some workaround to a bit too looong load time, no?

What are you're using? real HW or Altirra ? For Altirra:

10 hours ago, rensoup said:

Yes loading time is an issue. You can speed it up by enabling D burst IO in configure system->acceleration

You also need to make sure you have accurate sector timing disabled in configure system->disk

I don't think it takes 1m 20 with at config, does it ?

Inflate isn't the fastest depacker either (but it compresses best).

For development I just switch Warp mode on/off which makes it very quick to load.

hr..hr..hr.. ;)

The game isn't finished , and how it will look like , is a part of the unknown future ;) . But people already blame the loading time. PMg extensions and Cutscenes not included.

More Details, more Colors, more Leveldesign has it's side effect, using more Data could be one ;)

If the game is working, afterwards someone may think of throwing it all onto a Cartridge.