IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining that have some crash in the game. Not at all. I'm coder too, and if I code something, then I'm glad if someone give a feedback if my code has any troubles. So I describe an issue I observed.
I use Altirra 3.20 too. I tried several configurations, and I have 100% repeated crash in same place. I'm get right into the guard screen, then I wait for him. When he is near to me, I escape to the left, and Altirra crashes then.

15 minutes ago, Mq. said:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining that have some crash in the game. Not at all. I'm coder too, and if I code something, then I'm glad if someone give a feedback if my code has any troubles. So I describe an issue I observed.
I use Altirra 3.20 too. I tried several configurations, and I have 100% repeated crash in same place. I'm get right into the guard screen, then I wait for him. When he is near to me, I escape to the left, and Altirra crashes then.

As XXL noted above, but not really explained, there is BRK instruction there, and Altirra is often set up to stop on BRK. So check the CPU options, and uncheck 'stop on BRK', and try again.

Edited by R0ger

36 minutes ago, Mq. said:

The more the merrier Mq, every one needs to know if there's issues be they real or user generated...As seen there's a brk in a place and Altirra stops on those (which I'd presume from my little knowledge is what real hardware would also do?)

Nothing that a little EA can't fix...

1 hour ago, xxl said:

4427: C0 F1     CPY #$F1
4429: 90 01     BCC $442C
442B: 00        BRK                 < ------------------------- 
442C: B9 F2 1F  LDA $1FF2,Y
442F: 85 03     STA $03     ;CASINI+1
4431: B9 00 1F  LDA $1F00,Y
4434: 60        RTS

doh... I'd reduced a lookup table thinking it wasn't used fully... good thing I put bounds check. 

Back to its original state, so it should be ok hopefully.

good catch?

Edited by rensoup

1 hour ago, Mq. said:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining that have some crash in the game

I know, no worries ?

46 minutes ago, R0ger said:

As XXL noted above, but not really explained, there is BRK instruction there, and Altirra is often set up to stop on BRK. So check the CPU options, and uncheck 'stop on BRK', and try again.

it's actually better in this case to leave the stop on BRK, because there shouldn't be any, I put that one on purpose (should have put a KIL probably). Not stopping on BRK just delays the crash because then the IRQ handler gets triggered and in my case it's not set so the code just executes random stuff for a while before crashing.

21 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

which I'd presume from my little knowledge is what real hardware would also do?)

It actually triggers the IRQ handler...

Edited by rensoup
  • Like 1

It's simply incredible to be able to run it on my 8-bit Atari - amazing view! ?

I know it's just early WIP version and probably I haven't discovered anything the author doesn't know already, but will report it just in case:

1) Contrary to PC/AMIGA version, prince can't hang "forever" on the platforms he swings on (drops after a while). Not a real issue and maybe that's intended or a feture of BBC Master version - dunno ?

2) when running you can immediately turn around from running LEFT to running RIGHT, but while running RIGHT, sudden turning joystick LEFT doesn't change the direction (prince keeps running RIGHT).

That's it, can't wait for the finished conversion, but to be honest, to the next WIP version, too! ?

20191202_202006.jpg

Edited by Jacques
typo
  • Like 4

Thanks guys!

2 hours ago, Jacques said:

1) Contrary to PC/AMIGA version, prince can't hang "forever" on the platforms he swings on (drops after a while). Not a real issue and maybe that's intended or a feture of BBC Master version - dunno ?

2) when running you can immediately turn around from running LEFT to running RIGHT, but while running RIGHT, sudden turning joystick LEFT doesn't change the direction (prince keeps running RIGHT).

1) the BBC version is based on the original Apple2 version so it's the real deal ?

2) Yes I mentioned it earlier, it bugs me as well. This I bet is not in the Apple2 version... not sure how I introduced it though because it doesn't work if you run at full speed but it does if you've just started running.

3 hours ago, Jacques said:

Found one more suspicious thing during fight. On occassion Prince attacks with the sword after just the blocking (UP) as the only input (no FIRE). 

I haven't noticed that but sometimes when grabbing the sword I don't need to press the button, it could be the same thing... I'd like to test that on the BBC version but the emu doesn't seem support joysticks (not mine anyway)

3 hours ago, Jacques said:

Maybe it's not about specifically joystick, just any block (UP) input that's causing attack sometimes, while Prince should only block and don't attack without FIRE/ACTION?

I didn't even remember you could block ?, seems like there's a global problem with the way I handle the joystick. I will revisit the code at some point!

Hello everyone,
I created an account at Atari Age,
because there is a great moment,when A8 receives Prince of Persia.
On some Polish forum about Atari,
a few people including myself preferred that the character of the Prince should not have a hat during the game,
as it was in the original version,in the version for Atari ST, PC, Amiga, Apple 2. Running on dungeons and breakneck jumps with a turban on the head so average fit ...
To distinguish the version on the Atari, simply the bright dress of the prince could be gradually getting dirty.
Anyway, it looks amazing and I can't wait for the moment when I can buy or download the full version of this game.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

On 12/2/2019 at 2:52 AM, rensoup said:

crash ? hmm... I don't how accurate the A800Mac emu is, probably accurate enough though. Is there a way to use Altirra with a windows emu on Macs ? Because it's a lot easier to analyze bugs by tracking CPU history.

The crash happened one time when at the very beginning I go to the right where an enemy is first seen. I will try with Altirra and let you know.

Cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IRATA4 said:

Hello everyone, I created an account at Atari Age, because there is a great moment,when A8 receives Prince of Persia. On some Polish forum about Atari, a few people including myself preferred that the character of the Prince should not have a hat during the game, as it was in the original version,in the version for Atari ST, PC, Amiga, Apple 2. Running on dungeons and breakneck jumps with a turban on the head so average fit ... To distinguish the version on the Atari, simply the bright dress of the prince could be gradually getting dirty. Anyway, it looks amazing and I can't wait for the moment when I can buy or download the full version of this game.

well I fixed your font at least... but that's one weird request ?

The hat is TIX's choice so we'll leave it like that but once the XB version is done, there could be cart version with selectable art: classic/remastered.

Please do explain the aversion to the turban (My Turban Is Dirty?).  The graphics were in the original game.  Is this politically / racially motivated perhaps?  Not trying to stir shit, genuinely interested why of all things, this is an issue.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, IRATA4 said:

[...]
a few people including myself preferred that the character of the Prince should not have a hat during the game,
as it was in the original version,in the version for Atari ST, PC, Amiga, Apple 2. Running on dungeons and breakneck jumps with a turban on the head so average fit ...
To distinguish the version on the Atari, simply the bright dress of the prince could be gradually getting dirty.
[...]

Just as stated above, it's just a few folks, not the whole atarionline community. I think the new character looks great and turban fits very well https://blogs.bl.uk/asian-and-african/2014/03/the-tales-of-darab-a-medieval-persian-prose-romance.html

And with limited palette I don't understand how the clothing should get dirty/darker without even more sprite frames or changing also the colors of the walls.

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 2