IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

Interesting about the Turban discussion now ;)

Ofcourse the Prince doesn't wear a SIKH Turban. It is a "standard" Turban. And a Prince of Persia authentically should wear a Turban. Actually he should wear a Beard too, but this is an other Story.

Seems some people miss that "authentic" look of the PoP version from the Apple Version.

On a political path, who knows , if the game had been accepted, when the Prince looked like a "Far Eastern Guy" ? As build in the original Apple Game, the Prince looks like a "western" Guy and the clothes have been clean white.... so much purity must lead to a Prince ;)

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

Please do explain the aversion to the turban (My Turban Is Dirty?).  The graphics were in the original game.  Is this politically / racially motivated perhaps?  Not trying to stir shit, genuinely interested why of all things, this is an issue.

Are you mad even trying to imply such offending motives on Atari forum?

I guess the only reason for "no turban"-voices is that most classic look of PoP is that from most popular Amiga/PC version, therefore without turban, which appeared on later Mac, SNES conversions and PoP II.
In original Apple II original it's hard to tell what it is shape-wise (either white hair or turban) and BBC Master version IS NOT original, it's conversion from 2018, which added more colour to the shape of whatever it was in APPLE II version ;)

Personally I don't care, what I already saw IN WIP version looks great ?

Edited by Jacques
correction
  • Like 1

In my opinion, it should be all white like the original Amiga/PC version. Actually, the current WIP version the clothes keep changing colors from bright to dark when the prince move. 

Now, since that is just my opinion, it would be great to have the option to choose b/w the original look and the updated one(s) of the newest versions.

I sort of assumed some of the flashing of the Princes "sprite", was due to it going through various revisions, with not all frames altered from the original imported or from previous revisions. Some of the frames look quite drastically different in style.

It's looks very good and seems to flow very naturally, though admittedly, I've always have been terrible at the game and if you presented it as the completed game, I wouldn't be able to hold you to that promise. ;)

• Like 1

Why to hell ppl here always judge the work of others? Code your own game, make your own conversion but let the coders, musicans ang gfx artists do their jobs as they want to do it. I like the sprite as it is or will come to the final A8 version. I'm happy, that such skilled ppl make good games or conversions. If you want the 'original' game graphics, start playing the original game. I really like the 4 colour A8 Version of the game and I also love the sprites... with the turban and the perfect animation. 

Good job and great work. Thanks for the 1st level playable demo and I hope, the team will finish the conversion. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, MARIO130XE said:

Why to hell ppl here always judge the work of others? Code your own game, make your own conversion but let the coders, musicans ang gfx artists do their jobs as they want to do it

Actually, there has been a lot crap going on in the last years. 

But there is really no point to blame the current project.

I'm just curious how it will be at the end. 

• Haha 1

Surely in 2019 this game should be reconfigured so as to not perpetuate cultural and gender stereotypes in this way.

Even Disney are 'woke' nowadays. Look at Maleficent & Frozen.

?  ?

Honestly, only joking.

Absolutely brilliant work, do it your way, listen only to constructive criticism and filter out the noise...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, rensoup said:

well I fixed your font at least... but that's one weird request ?

The hat is TIX's choice so we'll leave it like that but once the XB version is done, there could be cart version with selectable art: classic/remastered.

I think that while hanging his armpit hair should be visible, and he should have a beard gradually growing throughout the game since he definitely has no razor with him :D

Edited by pseudografx
typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Yeah, a beard grown in "60 minutes". Given resolution of 8-bit Atari, I'd say we have it implemented already. 

I go from baby smooth to strike a match on it beard in 60 minutes.  I don't wear a turban though.  I've heard any style of hat causes baldness and I want to keep my hair even though it is going grey.

I also think that main hero without turban would be better because that's close to classic 16-bit version.... I vote for it.... but if author/graphician insist on puttin it into game, I have to bear with it....
All in all what was done is quite impressive! :)

Really more interesting that the limits of the Apple Machine cause that discussion.  

If people might take a closer look at the Box Art :

https://www.mobygames.com/game/apple2/prince-of-persia

Seems the "Blonde" Guy is a result of a misunderstood "Pixelation" ?

A "beige Turban" also might look like blonde Hair ?

The Apple hadn't the needed colors, so they had chosen that look as in the game?

The Atari could have done it a whole different way. As some game versions show it much more "original" to the real world ;)

There are grey stones and there are brownish ranges where the lights are shining. So everything is a little brownish there.

But they even decided to do just some "Detail Correction" for the 16 Bit Machines with some added phantasy ?  

I really like the look of this remake:

I you look at 4:22 (for example)  : The red aura around the flask.  Very easy to adapt to the Atari. 

A two color (software) object plus some Player underlay in a darker color...

Edited by emkay

9 hours ago, emkay said:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/apple2/prince-of-persia

Seems the "Blonde" Guy is a result of a misunderstood "Pixelation" ?

A "beige Turban" also might look like blonde Hair ?

The Apple hadn't the needed colors, so they had chosen that look as in the game?

Totally wrong, maybe you should try again with putting glasses on.

It's evident on this cover, that Prince actually wears some sort of narrow band on his head, with hair still being visible:
313704-prince-of-persia-apple-ii-front-c

So just for the record: zero turban involved on anyone except enemies :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacques said:

Totally wrong, maybe you should try again with putting glasses on.

It's evident on this cover, that Prince actually wears some sort of narrow band on his head, with hair still being visible:
313704-prince-of-persia-apple-ii-front-c

So just for the record: zero turban involved on anyone except enemies :)

Totally wrong ? Hm?

The chlothes are not white.

The Hair is definitely not "blonde".

But it is at I stated before: The "Prince" doesn't look like a Persian. He looks more like some western guy.

Though not much authentic.  

Shit. Please, close this thread.

@rensoup, please close this thread, you make great work.

Every malcontents: you can make yours own version. You speak as very old women. Shitly - it is strange for all authors make something and kill most project.

For me - nevermind turbn or not, great port.

@all: sorry for my english.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just to reiterate: the final release will feature TIX's art as it is now and use Xbios. We're not changing that.

If there is cart release after that, then we may offer an additional classic version.

In other news, I got the soundplayer working so it's time to look into PMG for extra sprite colors which is the biggest remaining unknown. It's going to take CPU time and memory which I'm not sure I have? but it would make the game stand out.

Hopefully we'll have another release ready for the end of the month!

• Like 14