IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

31 minutes ago, emkay said:

Your perception is really limited. I didn't write such. And I wonder why you get it that way?

Btw: How much do you pay to be an allowed Jester in this forums?

To the other: In that YT Video , I wrote that the Engine won't end up in a game as it is aimed. 

After being informed that the coder did something clever to use the Atari's hardware, I stated that it COULD become a game that reminds of Bionic Commando. But that implemented to use much smaller sprites. 

People only cannot understand the difference, if they don't know the Atari. 

Just posting for clarity.  Please tell me how this should be interpreted.

Emkay's 1st reply (as usual, the only negative one in the comments):

Seems, something will never change. The definition of "Engine" is already misleading. It is no "engine" it is a demonstration.

Poster replies with:

This could EVOLVE into a game but WILL NOT EVOLVE due to the author's decision. This is PARALLAX engine, as it is written, not the whole game engine, so you miss the point.

Emkay's 2ns reply:

That's the point. It's a similar progression with the Atari programming. You can do progressive steps, but every of those steps need addtional care by the CPU. (drivel cut)

Emkay's 3rd reply:

Now that I have seen the program running (emphasis mine), I have to say the coder has done a clever part, not to use the hardware scrolling. chosing, smaller objects could allow a lot options. Multiplexing the PMg , allow some flicker, and a game that reminds of Bionic Commando should be possible.

Maybe I am having trouble understanding you, the same as everyone else seems to.  Multiple negative comments, crapping on other people's work, then you finally say "Oh, now I have seen it running" and say something different.  Strange that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Just posting for clarity.  Please tell me how this should be interpreted.

Maybe I am having trouble understanding you, the same as everyone else seems to.  Multiple negative comments, crapping on other people's work, then you finally say "Oh, now I have seen it running" and say something different.  Strange that.

Contrary to other's I don't have problems to accept changes. But there is no real change in the sense of what I was writing.

If a Coder did something more clever than other's , why not aiding his task?

There was also no change in the meaning. You don't get an engine turning into a game with several of those big Softwaresprites.

The change is that several moving objects can move independent from the scrolling speed, because the game doesn't use hardware scrolling.   

Yes, I know, You don't understand a bit...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Contrary to other's I don't have problems to accept changes. But there is no real change in the sense of what I was writing.

If a Coder did something more clever than other's , why not aiding his task?

There was also no change in the meaning. You don't get an engine turning into a game with several of those big Softwaresprites.

The change is that several moving objects can move independent from the scrolling speed, because the game doesn't use hardware scrolling.   

Yes, I know, You don't understand a bit...

You're absolutely correct.  I don't understand how someone can argue about stuff, post opinions, and then say AFTER THE FACT, that they looked at the stuff.

I don't say a music album is shit, and then say "Oh, I finally listened to it, and it's not so bad".  What about this do you not understand?

• Like 1

Well, that derailed quickly. This was not what I had in mind. Bury the hatchet, start over, no name calling, not even implied (like questioning somebody's intelligence, etc.), not bring up the past (!) and try to be civil to each other.

Okay, I don't make the rules around here, so please, carry on...

• Like 3

On 1/8/2020 at 9:14 PM, rensoup said:

Well it's taking longer than expected ?

PMG overlays can be a challenge and in PoP it gets a lot worse!

Thank you for an update, take your time, most of us know it's worth every day of waiting, 2020 is going to be huge for 8-bit Atari with PoP coming our ways! :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ivop said:

1. Emkay seldomly codes, but tells others how to code, is not necessarily a problem, as

2. he does seem to have extensive knowledge of atari 8-bit hardware, but

I disagree. He has zero-knowledge what is possible (or not) on Atari. 
All he has is 10.000 spam-post with no real content.
he call all coders Jesters beeing a clown himself.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Cool. 

8 Posts, 8 rants, and no one who explains the difference, Stephen doesn't understand.

The lucky part is that there are always the same showmen. 

4 hours ago, solo/ng said:

I disagree. He has zero-knowledge what is possible (or not) on Atari. 
All he has is 10.000 spam-post with no real content.
he call all coders Jesters beeing a clown himself.

Ridiculous. Really. 

Why don't You explain the difference, Stephen doesn't understand. 

Meanwhile my guess is you cannot, because you don't know it

I wonder who is writing the Software for you in real. 

10 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Finally got the PMG overlay with DLI repositioning in a working state... it's not perfect yet (no masking) but good enough for a release.

Just need to fix a crash issue and it's good to go!

pop200112.gif.9cd8f4ada3d8a1d38d19a5d3e49d9c5a.gif

Hardware overlay could help ;)

Player 0 behind the Playfield and above any other players, just placed in the regions where masking is needed...

21 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Finally got the PMG overlay with DLI repositioning in a working state... it's not perfect yet (no masking) but good enough for a release.

Just need to fix a crash issue and it's good to go!

pop200112.gif.9cd8f4ada3d8a1d38d19a5d3e49d9c5a.gif

excellent work @rensoup nicely done.

the players priorities can be worked afterwards.. can release an intermediate version for sure :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really cool stuff! PMG overlays will improve the game a lot!

I noticed a small issue in the demo, at least on Altirra. When I'm running to the right and try to change to left, the guy stills run to the previous direction. On the contrary, when I'm running to the left and changed to the right, the guy slips and changes direction, just like the original.

Maybe is an issue from my keyboard, maybe it's an issue from Altirra. I don't know. But that's what I've seen.

Cheers!

17 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

excellent work @rensoup nicely done.

the players priorities can be worked afterwards.. can release an intermediate version for sure :) 

That's exactly the fun part. There is no BIG RESSOURCE that waits to be wasted or other's who do solutions for you. If you don't solve the key for the solution, you will never get the completed game done. There is nothing flying towards your expectations. There are real limits to check and optimize the solution. 

The latest Video of the PoP demonstration shows that a "Karateka"  could get a refresh in colors and speed.

But particular the Masking costs a lot more CPU, and there have to be up to 3 big Software Sprites.

One real scene with 3 independent moving objects, and Masking is working would approve that the game can be completely adapted that way as is shown in the Video.  

rensoup is a real experienced coder, so I'm interested to see how far he can get there. 

The sad part is that those games never got finished , caused by the too big expectations. 

Those "Run and Gun" games really need to enter the Atari. But they have to be adapted as the Atari can do . 

Converting games that look like the aimed game but lack in the count of enemies might not be the solution. 

Best example for a game that looked worse to the Arcade but played the same is Moon Patrol. 

Thanks everybody!

18 hours ago, Wilheim said:

I noticed a small issue in the demo, at least on Altirra. When I'm running to the right and try to change to left, the guy stills run to the previous direction. On the contrary, when I'm running to the left and changed to the right, the guy slips and changes direction, just like the original.

Yes it seems I introduced this bug a long time ago, I'll look into it eventually.

• Like 1

Regarding masking... I might have already said that but PoP is a worst case scenario.

Hardware masking with PMG on top of each other would just mean halving the player count, one player to cover another one... I need all 4 players to cover the hero + enemy.

Software masking is the only way to make the best use of those PMGs.

-PMGs over the playfield, means that any background bloc covering the PMG would require realtime shifting to mask the PMG data

-PMGs under the playfield means masking the PMG data into the already drawn playfield which is probably less costly. Unfortunately the playfield covering the PMG contain color 0 which means the PMG will show through the cracks in the pillars for instance... that may look ok though.