IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

4 hours ago, Wrathchild said:
8 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:
10 hours ago, pusakat said:

During development can you have a flag/toggle to switch guards off so you don't have to fight them during testing?

um during testing you want the guards because they consume resources and can help with timing issues and final game-play feel and fluidity.... I would think level breakpoints and saves would be a wiser choice for dev so you don't have to walk through the whole thing every time when testing on real hardware.

Turning off damage subtraction from their attacks, so that falling still kills you?

Yes, I sort of do that, I just set the hero's energy to max and the enemy's to min so they only require one hit to be killed and even then it's tedious (The BBC has a cheat key to kill the guard too but I tend not to use it, I prefer to let the guard play most of his animations)

At this stage, it's important to leave most things on indeed. I'm still adding some features but right now testing is about making sure that everything works together mostly.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Rybags said:

He says it like carrot taker.

I say it like curr(ent) art ekka - as if you were saying karate but instead of the "ey" it's "ekka".

Hey look, dictionary.com almost agrees with me https://www.dictionary.com/browse/karateka?s=t

You can play the phonetic by clicking it's icon.  It says "eekah" where mine is "ekkah".

I know someone (also active on AA, you know who you are ;) ), who says ka-ra-TEE-kah instead of kuh-RAH-tee-kah.

17 minutes ago, ivop said:

I know someone (also active on AA, you know who you are ;) ), who says ka-ra-TEE-kah instead of kuh-RAH-tee-kah.

I'm sure somebody has already posted this, but from now on, I think I'm just going to pronounce it the way Jordan Mechner pronounces it ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jacques said:

Can't wait for next demo, we need every moment of joy these days...

All that's left to do for this release is the PMG color change for the guard's pants... that's mostly work on the graphics converter... Been a bit lazy though ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think his name was Tochiko Yogami of the Okinawa prefecture in Japan. As with all things I could remember incorrectly as two such notables came... but I have a pretty strong recollection during some visits to the studios in Bethlehem and Easton IIRC... so I think I'll stick with what I heard rather than whats folks tell me... ;)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I called it with a stress in the "TE" syllable, because I only spoke Spanish at that time, and that's the word we use for a person that practice Karate.  Anyway, I guess is OK to call it as you wish. In general, I am still calling games as I called them back in the day when I had no knowledge of English, since that's how I grew up calling them... even though, I know that's totally incorrect... examples:

mon pa'h-trol

mee-seel cohman 

That is just an interesting topic, since I still have to stop and think and translate every time I speak in English about Atari.. like "I have an eight hundred ex el" , instead of an "ochocientos equis ele".

who knows, as it could be each prefecture probably has it's own accents in regard to language and even what each person grew up saying correctly or incorrectly... I say it's all close enough, we understand what is meant... and yes, belts still hold pants up to a degree... :)

Onward and forward, the Prince of Persia awaits!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

This is awesome stuff!  Like many of you, I cut my teeth on an Atari 8-bit back in the early 80's.  It's great to see people still developing games for this great platform.

Between Space Harrier, Bosconian, and this, what a great time to be rediscovering the Atari 8-bit computers.  Thank you for all the work on this - everyone involved!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rdefabri said:

I know many are likely using Altirra, I've always used Atari800WinPlus.  Can't seem to get this to work - any idea of the settings I need to use?

I only use Altirra so I don't know unfortunately... but even then only version 3.20 and above should be used. It seems that 3.10 and earlier versions can cause crashes (DLi timing issue?).

I think some people run it on real A8s and haven't reported any crash so far (fingers crossed!)

On 3/21/2020 at 3:06 PM, rensoup said:

I only use Altirra so I don't know unfortunately... but even then only version 3.20 and above should be used. It seems that 3.10 and earlier versions can cause crashes (DLi timing issue?).

I think some people run it on real A8s and haven't reported any crash so far (fingers crossed!)

Ok I got it to work on Altirra - well done so far!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Poison said:

Dont you think about new demo ? For us all in quarantine ;-)

Of course I do, if only for my own sanity I need to get this done ?

The last thing I want in the next build is dual PMG color, and it's already working for the player but it's pretty easy as it's only used for skin+blood:

popblood.png.c53bd1c6d0255c4614217411a8418d30.png

So it's only the enemy colors that require fixing because right now he's not wearing his pants!

poppants.png.295d83f6fe3a470147cc9d8b4b1e614b.png

• Like 16
  • Haha 7

Well, it's coming soon!

brown.avi.gif.ef0b6d9456355caa38cb03e283e5cb1a.gif

Just waiting for a bunch of assets from @TIX and @miker 

@VinsCool updated the tunes from the previous demo but is no longer being able to work on the remaining ones so those will be done by Miker who also did the most of the SFX (a few where supplied by @makary too)

(that's going to be a long credits list when it's complete!)

It's not going to be the full release yet (but you'll get a couple of levels ?) as I still need to fix the PMG priority which is the last big feature remaining.

To be honest, bad PMG priority doesn't bother me that much... but it'd feel like cheating a bit if it didn't have it.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

While waiting for assets, I decided to implement a frame counter... Here's the beginning of Level 2

atrfps.gif.01b7931a5d52c1c50b613c0f9eb8f805.gif

The frames per second is the TV's framerate/ the number of frames.

So with 2 characters on screen and moving tiles we get between 50/7 and  50/5 = 7 to 10fps

Ouch ?...

For comparison, here's the BBC Master version:

bbcfps.gif.b6419cdc6a7e1f2dc0d71760e001f9c8.gif

Same deal!    (with a brief dip at 6fps).

I think the Apple2 and C64 drop even further...

• Like 18