IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

While waiting for assets, I decided to implement a frame counter... Here's the beginning of Level 2

?

For comparison, here's the BBC Master version:

Not only because of more frames our version looks so much better even with less colours.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

While waiting for assets, I decided to implement a frame counter... Here's the beginning of Level 2

atrfps.gif.01b7931a5d52c1c50b613c0f9eb8f805.gif

The frames per second is the TV's framerate/ the number of frames.

So with 2 characters on screen and moving tiles we get between 50/7 and  50/5 = 7 to 10fps

Ouch ?...

For comparison, here's the BBC Master version:

bbcfps.gif.b6419cdc6a7e1f2dc0d71760e001f9c8.gif

Same deal!    (with a brief dip at 6fps).

I think the Apple2 and C64 drop even further...

Nice BBC master animation, but... nauseating colors (sorry)...

4 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

BBC has the advantages of a fast CPU plus extra fast ram that allows the graphics chip to access ram in between with no DMA steals but you pay for that with 8 colors only, less than a C64....

Reminds me I need to dig out mine to finally use it.

Guys. If the game takes 5 frames to render, displaying one number, most likely in character mode, is really not an issue. And do you think it will be there when the game is complete ?

Oh wait, is this an April joke ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well you got me ?

Technically the frame counter always exists, it's pretty standard: a single byte that gets incremented every VBi until the main loop resets it when it's has finished drawing the new screen.

It doesn't have to be in there but I use it as a frame limiter as well because the game can get too fast... with an overclocked CPU ?

Even with a 3mhz 65c816, the game becomes a little too speedy to be fun to play.

7 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

LOL, ah such a jolly R0ger!, you know us too well and catch on quite quickly. Although to be honest saving a cycle or a byte is serious business.

Jesus, thanks. I really lost my hope in humanity for a moment there ?

2 hours ago, patjomki said:

Not only because of more frames our version looks so much better even with less colours.?

Agreed,  @TIX's the man !

1 hour ago, Faicuai said:

1 hour ago, slx said:

BBC has the advantages of a fast CPU plus extra fast ram that allows the graphics chip to access ram in between with no DMA steals but you pay for that with 8 colors only, less than a C64....

Indeed, it's makes it a little difficult to compare both versions:

Those 8 colors are fixed on the BBC and to make it worse, the screens cost twice as much space (32KB vs 16KB on A8) although I believe it might have allowed Kieran (PoP BBC coder) to optimize the sprite routines.

The other consequence of those 2 16KB screen buffers is probably what caused the him to half the Prince's vertical resolution. you can see that he looks a blockier than the enemy which uses full vertical height.

Looks excellent and you always keep you eyes on the enemy, so it's got the eye candy exactly where it needs to be! You are always scanning the background (which also looks excellent) and focused on the enemy. Perfect.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

Well if team Hoaxers don't snap you up with a Premier League player's salary then somethings not right with the world :D 

Well I actually thought the frame counter comments were serious, so I'd actually started replying seriously until I spotted Roger's reply ?

That frame counter took me a good half hour to implement because I'd forgotten how my font plotter worked... damn bank switching!

23 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I love what you have in game as it is now,

that early concept hero should not be canary yellow ever, and certainly not in tight pants!

I can never tell if you're being facetious or not... top row is the BBC version of course!

• Haha 1