IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

4 hours ago, rensoup said:

New assets are in... and changes are being made to them!

...In the meantime, let's introduce the shadowman and the palace level!

shad2.avi.gif.723da4b92fbc3634499449025d39b34a.gif

That's God-damn beautiful work, there.

Just make sure you are not sourcing that hue from $E0 or $F0 bands, as they will render greenish on modern NTSC decode.

Should be $01 / $02, hopefully, with proper calibration on our end.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Faicuai said:

That's God-damn beautiful work, there.

Just make sure you are not sourcing that hue from $E0 or $F0 bands, as they will render greenish on modern NTSC decode.

Should be $01 / $02, hopefully, with proper calibration on our end.

Thanks!

Didn't know about the E0 F0 bands, I was thinking about using a different palette for the NTSC version anyway (not for the next build though) because when switching to NTSC in Altirra the result isn't too pleasing. Would a custom NTSC palette could improve things ?

Edited by rensoup

4 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Thanks!

Didn't know about the E0 F0 bands, I was thinking about using a different palette for the NTSC version anyway (not for the next build though) because when switching to NTSC in Altirra the result isn't too pleasing. Would a custom NTSC palette could improve things ?

If we adjust HUE(on CRT, or LCD) or PHASE (on video processor) by retarding it just a bit, to make look $01-hue GOLDEN (not parrot-green), you will be able to safely source those colors from $01-$02 hue bands. Guaranteed.

So that means no special or custom NTSC-palette. If you would like to send me a .XEX with that screen above, I will render it here on real HW and post ACTUAL captures from screen, so you can see how it looks.

This palette should work (and works very well for legacy titles, too):

4C50526B-6911-4D25-A0BD-E49847D081B8.thumb.jpeg.903609c8c6fed0a18c03f743506655dd.jpeg

73A4BC94-C19D-4598-A137-C197DD420321.thumb.jpeg.f6c2424e2b0a3ea4e6979ee148ed4675.jpeg

Cheers!

• Like 1

Soooo, here it is...  A new 5 Level demo!

In this build:

-TIX's fully redone Prince animations with the sword and the main guard fully animated in 5 colors!

-new tunes by Vinscool and Miker

-sfx by Miker and Makary

-fixed slide bug by XXL :)

-5 levels, including 2 palace levels. Each level is fully playable but the game stops once you take the exit door (still need to make some space for the cutscene code!)

-improved frame rate

Spread the news but please don't make local copies of the ATR on other websites but rather link to the 1st post of the thread on AtariAge

Get it here: (first post of this thread)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 10

8 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Soooo, here it is...  A new 5 Level demo!

In this build:

-TIX's fully redone Prince animations with the sword and the main guard fully animated in 5 colors!

-new tunes by Vinscool and Miker

-sfx by Miker and Makary

-fixed slide bug by XXL :)

-5 levels, including 2 palace levels. Each level is fully playable but the game stops once you take the exit door (still need to make some space for the cutscene code!)

-improved frame rate

Spread the news but please don't make local copies of the ATR on other websites but rather link to the 1st post of the thread on AtariAge

Get it here: (first post of this thread)

Amazing! Cannot believe how beautiful and fluent this preview is.

Do you think masking of PMG is doable without big impact on the game's performance nor big increase of memory use?

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

Amazing! Cannot believe how beautiful and fluent this preview is.

Do you think masking of PMG is doable without big impact on the game's performance nor big increase of memory use?

?

I mentioned masking a while back but haven't really looked at it since then. It shouldn't be a complicated problem compared to all those I already faced.

If I can use PMGs under the PF, it's quite easy but not 100% perfect because the foreground uses color 0 so the PMGs will still show through some brick cracks. All I have to do is mask the background to cut holes where the PMGs are visible then plot the foreground on top. Not terribly expensive either.

I haven't looked at PMG priorities in a while so I'm not even sure you can have all 4 PMGs under the PF ? then what happens with missile priorities ?

A side effect of using 5th player mode is that (I think) missiles will always be on top of PF! They're used for the torches yet you can see that the player is in front because I masked the torches with the screen content.

If I have to use PMGs on top of PF, it's a bit more tricky but it works 100%. One problem is that I don't double buffer the PMG area, so I update it at the top of the VBL (every time a new screen is drawn so once every 3-7 frames), it's fine in PAL but just on the edge of missing DLis on NTSC. So I'd probably have to look for 2KB of free space before trying this.

As for masking the PMGs themselves... depends if you can mask them fast or not... only one object can be in front each PMG and the PMGs are small so it may not be too bad

So I don't think it'll have a big impact but it may be another big job.

Blown away!  Tested it out with Atari800WinPlus4 and it runs great.   Will have to write it to a disk and try it out on my NTSC 130XE, but I noticed the sound is not working right and fight scene flickers bad.  Must be due to this not being the NTSC version.  Amazing job, keep it up!

• Like 2

This is amazing, thanks for a great 5-level gift!

This demo looks incredible, but the sounds and music are very good fit, too - it all became more "alive" and feels like breakthrough moment for A8 is just around the corner with full game :)

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, tjlazer said:

Blown away!  Tested it out with Atari800WinPlus4 and it runs great.   Will have to write it to a disk and try it out on my NTSC 130XE, but I noticed the sound is not working right and fight scene flickers bad.  Must be due to this not being the NTSC version.  Amazing job, keep it up!

Good to know it works on Atari800W!

I didn't test NTSC this time and I think I pushed the PMG update in the VBi a bit too far. I'm going to try to find a possible hack for NTSC users...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rensoup said:

I just noticed that I might have left the player max life cheat on ?

and good, a light privilege will be useful because I don't move so briskly and I don't jump like in 1989: D

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, rensoup said:

I just noticed that I might have left the player max life cheat on ?

?

Player also starts out with a sword. IIRC, player should retrieve the sword on level one before attempting to duel with the guard before the right-most room of the level leading to the exit.

• Haha 1

Alright, I took a look at the NSTC version... should have done that yesterday really ?

Turns out that because of the frame skip to play at the same speed as the Pal version, the game plays the tune for a single frame then stops it!

As for the reason for flickering which I explained above... I was able to move some of the flame update code outside the VBi, which seems to be enough to fix the issue.

A 5 min job!

So I'm going to add that update to the first post... it's the same version as yesterday minus the life and sword cheat on! (hopefully ?)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@rensoup, preliminary report.

130XE stock, real hardware...

No title screen -

orange line moves across screen during load -

level one text appears +

press return to start level +

rooms are rendered in slate blue for first level

pressure plates work +

moves work +

traps work +

our prince is mostly white ~

flame color is close to what it should be ~

I came equipped with a sword and didn't pick it up yet -

found sword with glimmer +

was able to take sword +

game play is very nice

flicker during fight -

was able to open door +

crash going up the stairs to next level -

NTSC summary, colors are off, should not have blade until picked up, flicker is result of flames possibly(move code), crash at change of level.

All else is incredible, great stuff!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 4

nope, didn't have NTSC fix at the time, but I do now.

for those testing

space levels up

g levels down

return selects.

@rensoup

130XE stock, real hardware, using RespeQT as drive 1...

Level 1 NTSC Build

No title screen -

orange line moves across screen during load -

level one text appears +

can select levels (Spacebar/G/Return) +

rooms are rendered in slate blue for first level

sound triggers and music working +

pressure plates work +

moves work +

traps work +

our prince has flesh +

flame color is close to what it should be ~

health and death are working +

potion working +

found sword with glimmer +

was able to take sword +

game play is very nice

Must have sword for fight +

NO flicker during fight +

was able to open door +

status etc is given after walk up stairs +

*crash going up the stairs to next level -*

*crash at death and not hitting anything to continue etc.* verified don't press action key results in crash after a few moments

Could use a little more blood :) at death                excellent progress!

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

So I'm going to add that update to the first post... it's the same version as yesterday minus the life and sword cheat on! (hopefully ?)

Astounding work, really! Thank you for continuing to work on this beautiful game.

• Like 1

other than the what I have gone back and added to this report,

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/298914-unicorns-season-prince-of-persia-for-the-a8/?do=findComment&comment=4502332

I must say having worked through most of the levels that the game play is *very* good ! The difficulty ramps up as it should as does the impact of fighting and tasks.

As I look at this fine piece of coding I can't help but think how many other pieces of software could be remade from this beautiful work. Fluid and efficient at this stage, I'm grinning' :)

• Like 2