IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

5 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

maybe he lands so close on the edge he must steady himself for a bit... yeah that's it.  seriously though, he prolly lands at decision point and the game doesn't know where he really can go... after a bit the player resets and you get to go on your way. It does sound like some form of the bug rensoup pointed out... Have you watched the TAS exploit/trick speed play of the game... at 12 minutes and a few seconds flat?

I don't remember exactly but I might have seen various consequences for that bug: once the game froze indefinitely (but flames kept going) and another time the prince fell down the screen and died.

Not seen that speedrun I believe...

4 hours ago, tjlazer said:

How do you walk slow using the keyboard? Usually that’s done by holding shift down while moving the cursor keys.

16 hours ago, rensoup said:

playing with the keyboard ? (my keyboard handler only allows 1 key at a time ?)

if you're on a real machine, you're out of luck but you can use joystick emulation with an emu of course

3 hours ago, Jacques said:

When playing on my real 130XE yesterday, it happened several times during fights, that with some joystick movement (I'm not sure exactly how), our hero hid the sword in the middle of the fight with enemy still very close. Is it a behaviour of BBC Master version? Normally on Amiga/PC version, I believe and think the  Prince did not hide the sword until some more far distance between him and enemy.

stating the obvious, but I guess you know that pressing down during a fight will cause the prince to put the sword away?

(spoiler: it's useful exactly once in the game ?)

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

moving backwards or forward with the sword out needs to be done by small moves, if you hold the joystick backing away from an enemy for too long you will put away your sword and make ready to run

damn, I didn't even know that!

2 minutes ago, rensoup said:

stating the obvious, but I guess you know that pressing down during a fight will cause the prince to put the sword away?

(spoiler: it's useful exactly once in the game ?)

damn, I didn't even know that!

Didn't know that, thanks! :)

Anyway, I think hiding sword was due to backing off from the enemy, not accidentally pushing down on joystick.

After the release of PoP, if you want, you can upload ATR on the cartr. if the game uses xBIOS for I / O operations then the new xBIOS allows you to run from a cartridge.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, xxl said:

After the release of PoP, if you want, you can upload ATR on the cartr. if the game uses xBIOS for I / O operations then the new xBIOS allows you to run from a cartridge.

nice!!!?

So I have nothing to do ?

Edited by rensoup

1 hour ago, Wrathchild said:

Save states?

Meh... the BBC version has it but what's the point when you have a level select (+ future health select) ?  It takes a lot of space and you need a bit of UI,...

Plus on emulators, you can already save the state anywhere you want.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xxl said:

So I'm curious how this work...

I guess instead of load sectors from disk into the disk buffer, you just replace it with a ROM bank switch ($8000/$A000-$BFFF?), copy it to the disk buffer, bank switch RAM back and copy the buffer into its final position ?

guess I shouldn't put the disk buffer at $A000 ?

Edited by rensoup

roughly speaking (for cartridges) yes. you can put a sector buffer at $a000 but then the readings will be slower (because you would have to change the memory configuration / read the byte / change the memory configuration / write the byte) over and over again ... it could be even slower if you put the screen memory and Display List in this area, then you would have to wait for the vertical blank (of course, all this is done by the library, the programmer does not have to worry about it). Fortunately, nothing like this happens in your project and it can work quickly.

11 hours ago, xxl said:

roughly speaking (for cartridges) yes. you can put a sector buffer at $a000 but then the readings will be slower (because you would have to change the memory configuration / read the byte / change the memory configuration / write the byte) over and over again ... it could be even slower if you put the screen memory and Display List in this area, then you would have to wait for the vertical blank (of course, all this is done by the library, the programmer does not have to worry about it). Fortunately, nothing like this happens in your project and it can work quickly.

All good as the memory layout is pretty much final...

I may have an issue with disk space: I was planning to use a 128KB disk but I don't think that's going to fit.

So I'm thinking about making 2 versions:
-a 2 SD 90KB disk version for 100% compatibility with all drives
-a 1 DD 180KB disk version which would only work on some drives

So I have questions:
1. does Xbios support disk swapping ? (I don't care about multiple drive support). I suppose yes and I just need to try to load a file and if it fails, ask the user for a disk swap ?
2. Is the 180KB version usable for a cart version ?

11 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

maybe xxl help do this the best way possible and create the solutions and then give educational course discussion using in the cartridge as the example :)

Yes please ?

Edited by rensoup
more details about Q1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, rensoup said:
15 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

Save states?

Meh... the BBC version has it but what's the point when you have a level select (+ future health select) ?  It takes a lot of space and you need a bit of UI,...

...or you mean save states for reproducing the bug ?

Just now, zbyti said:

Thanks... yes that's the bug I've seen... now is it a game bug or specific to the A8 ? because I'm not going to try to fix game bugs due to possible knock on effects!

Do you know how to reproduce it 100% ? any chance of trying this on the BBC ?