IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

53 minutes ago, rensoup said:

I don't know if it's possible to create polls inside existing threads ?  

As topic starter, you should be able to go to your first post and click on "edit". Then you have the option "poll" on the top left corner of the editor window.

I´ve just checked this with a thread that I´ve started some days ago.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, skr said:

As topic starter, you should be able to go to your first post and click on "edit". Then you have the option "poll" on the top left corner of the editor window.

I´ve just checked this with a thread that I´ve started some days ago.

wouldn't the poll be displayed with the first post though ?

6 minutes ago, Philsan said:

poll is live: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of news...

Even though the game is complete, there was one challenge I wanted to tackle: vest color !

It's been a little messy and there are still glitches...

Unfortunately, I can't fix all of them because having 3 PLAYERs for the prince and 2 for the guard means compromises but hopefully they won't be too noticeable ?

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, rensoup said:

Bit of news...

Even though the game is complete, there was one challenge I wanted to tackle: vest color !

It's been a little messy and there are still glitches...

Unfortunately, I can't fix all of them because having 3 PLAYERs for the prince and 2 for the guard means compromises but hopefully they won't be too noticeable ?

The vest looks awesome!

One question: Can the prince look more "similiar" accross the levels? First time I saw the "upper levels" the prince was noticeably recolored. I can see the reason, because the prince is mixed of colors of the level. Would at least the vest (next to the skin) be stable across the different level themes? Btw. there are only two themes right? Dungeon and Temple right?

• Like 1

I would suggest green as it is complimentary to the blue in the rest of the sprite, as well as providing consistent contrast to the background in all levels, but I suspect it's red because it does dual-duty for the blood. The red does have the nice effect of contrasting with the leggings, making them seem more differentiated from the back-ground, because of the lighter blue shade used, so it provides a nice effect and is a great choice given all of the other constraints.

Edited by AtariNerd

1 hour ago, AtariNerd said:

I would suggest green as it is complimentary to the blue in the rest of the sprite, as well as providing consistent contrast to the background in all levels, but I suspect it's red because it does dual-duty for the blood. The red does have the nice effect of contrasting with the leggings, making them seem more differentiated from the back-ground, because of the lighter blue shade used, so it provides a nice effect and is a great choice given all of the other constraints.

Oh dear, please don't make it green, rensoup. It somehow seems just wrong for Prince of Persia (not so for Super Frog, though!).

And for all the reasons AtariNerd wrote, the red seems just correct and "juicy" :)

Maybe we could have a little GIF presenting red vest on level 4+, please?

Edited by Jacques
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

location of xex demo for NTSC test on real hardware.

Need to fix some glitches first!

9 hours ago, twh/f2 said:

Btw. there are only two themes right? Dungeon and Temple right?

yep but I may change their colors from time to time if I can find some good palettes, I prefer something that looks varied (and good) to something that's consistent (consistent = bland on A8)

7 hours ago, Rybags said:

Nice contrast against that particular level but some similarity to the red in the flame.

9 hours ago, twh/f2 said:

Would at least the vest (next to the skin) be stable across the different level themes

7 hours ago, Rybags said:

I wouldn't normally suggest it but how about purple?

1 hour ago, AtariNerd said:

I would suggest green

29 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Oh dear, please don't make it green

I see consensus...?

I've tried all the colors I could and dark red was one that worked well... TIX's not so hot, he prefers the original blue!

So I'm thinking the vest color will be selectable!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I could not resist looking up the joke. For those who don't know it:

Seems there was a treasure ship on its way back to port.  About 
halfway there, it was approached by a pirate, skull and crossbones waving 
in the breeze!

"Captain, captain, what do we do?" asked the first mate.  

"First mate," said the captain, "go to my cabin, open my sea 
chest, and bring me my red shirt."  The first mate did so. 

Wearing his bright red shirt, the captain exhorted his crew to 
fight.  So inspiring was he, in fact, that the pirate ship was repelled 
without casualties.  

A few days later, the ship was again approached, this time by two 
pirate sloops!  

"Captain, captain, what should we do?"

"First mate, bring me my red shirt!"

The crew, emboldened by their fearless captain, fought heroically, and 
managed to defeat both boarding parties, though they took many 
casualties.  That night, the survivors had a great celebration.  The 
first mate asked the captain the secret of his bright red shirt. 

"It's simple, first mate.  If I am wounded, the blood does not 
show, and the crew continues to fight without fear."

A week passed, and they were nearing their home port, when 
suddenly the lookout cried that ten ships of the enemy's armada were 
approaching!  

"Captain, captain, we're in terrible trouble, what do we do?"  
The first mate looked expectantly at the miracle worker. 

Pale with fear, the captain commanded, "First mate.... bring me my
brown pants!" 

Source: rec.humor.funny archive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Original creator, Jordan Mechner, was on REDDIT, earlier today, doing an AMA and promoting a print edition of his 80s game development journals.

I'm Jordan Mechner. Thirty years ago, I made a game called Prince of Persia. Now I'm releasing my 1980s game-dev journals as a book. AMA!

"Thirty years ago, I made a game called Prince of Persia. Later, I worked with Ubisoft (as game designer) and Walt Disney Pictures (as screenwriter) to relaunch the franchise with Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time––the game in 2003, the movie in 2010.

Now we're celebrating the original game's 30th anniversary with a new illustrated and annotated hardcover book of my 1980s game-dev journals: The Making of Prince of Persia, just published by Stripe Press. Ask me anything!

Well, ALMOST anything. I can’t answer questions about unannounced projects, even (especially) Prince of Persia. Alas.

Info about the new Prince of Persia book at https://press.stripe.com/ and https://jordanmechner.com/journals.

Info about all my projects (PoP games, movies, graphic novels, and others) at https://jordanmechner.com.

I'm also on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube, usually in that order. My social media links are in the footer at jordanmechner.com.

And for a 20-minute look behind the scenes of making Prince of Persia, check out this ArsTechnica War Stories episode: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/04/war-stories-how-prince-of-persia-slew-the-apple-iis-memory-limitations/"

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 8:53 PM, AtariNerd said:

Original creator, Jordan Mechner, was on REDDIT, earlier today, doing an AMA and promoting a print edition of his 80s game development journals.

I'm Jordan Mechner. Thirty years ago, I made a game called Prince of Persia. Now I'm releasing my 1980s game-dev journals as a book. AMA!

Jordan released a FANTASTIC book back in 2011 all about POP - bought it and read it digitally when it came out then - I wonder if it's the same material?

1783826794_Screenshot2020-05-14at12_26_29.thumb.png.c3179f737a6ea09ac763de76ac551b07.png

sTeVE

10 hours ago, rensoup said:

I did and you can even pause it?

Almost ready!

Wow, those unicorns are powerful indeed to push a milestone like this! ?

Pause is great and thank you for answering that need, if there happens a little bit of level-skip, too, I will be left speechless ?

Well I fixed a few bugs faster than I thought so...

Here it is!

7 levels demo, all features implemented!

-Vest color
-PMG masking
-non crashing gameflow (finishing a level brings the next one until level8 where it crashes)
-customization menu

-new skeleton & fat guard by TIX

-more tunes by Miker

-new SFX bank by Emkay

customization options:
-vest color in Dungeon & Palace levels
-SFX bank (1 Miker / 2 Emkay)
-TV refresh rate (basic autodetection which can be overriden for correct game time/tune speed)

Next release should be the last one with intro/cutscenes implemented... Another big job!

Get it here of course: 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Loaded the ATR into Altirra, and after a momentary loading black screen, I saw the little purple line go across the screen(which I took as normal since it was in the previous one). Then the screen went all black again for another loading moment, and it crashed.