IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

5 minutes ago, TheRaven81 said:

Loaded the ATR into Altirra, and after a momentary loading black screen, I saw the little purple line go across the screen(which I took as normal since it was in the previous one). Then the screen went all black again for another loading moment, and it crashed.

ouch... which version of Altirra ? 

4 minutes ago, TheRaven81 said:

3.20 64-bit.  Now that I think about it, it could be crashing from being out of RAM? I have it set up the same as my system at home, which is a stock 800XL with 64k.  

well yeah...

-The target is a stock Atari 130XE (128KB of RAM) on a single 128KB floppy.

hasn't changed for 6 months?

• Like 1

Runs fine here on Altirra 3.20 under wine on Catalina and Atari800MacX.

I just should adjust the colors of my emulators. Will check against a CRT tomorrow:

pop.thumb.jpg.52db9f564a5e400d0d8556c38a87c8eb.jpg

Left: Altirra, Right: Atari800MacX

• Like 3

Looks and plays good. I think the only suggestion I'd have is about that bit at the beginning "title" before the game starts, where it goes between information screens. The delay seems too short before it goes to the next one. Unless you're a speed reader, I think extending the delay a bit between them, maybe at least 3 more seconds, would be a good idea.

PoP_sshot.png.43f84ca34367d0af0b849a5f625e1d7b.png

Edited by TheRaven81
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheRaven81 said:

Looks and plays good. I think the only suggestion I'd have is about that bit at the beginning "title" before the game starts, where it goes between information screens. The delay seems too short before it goes to the next one. Unless you're a speed reader, I think extending the delay a bit between them, maybe at least 3 more seconds, would be a good idea.

Yes this is all temporary of course, the intro is the next thing to do

• Like 3

@rensoup

I briefly ran new demo for a while and... Hats off (again!)

It's just one thing to see animation of added masking, then additional vest color, but actually play it, it's incredible - I always felt Atari could do it and there was no justice we missed it back in the days ;)

Just two things I observed with Emkay's sounds:

1) footsteps tend to interfere with opening/closing gates, thus causing some weird sound gltiches (on Altirra, will test on real Atari in the evening).

2) It feels there are frame-rate drops with Emkay's sounds in comparison to standard version, or is it just me?

The choice of two banks is great anyway :)

EDIT:

Pre-game menu allows to change colour(s) of vest and choose sound-bank, but level selection is locked, is that intentional? ;)

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1

sound goes weird if you die and restart sometime, 130XE NTSC... bank 1 SFX and Music a the best so far...  color changes as  selected...

question, do you turn off basic automagically or do you rely on the user to do so... working on a premise....

50/60 switch changes timing nicely and doesn't make NTSC have any issues on my cheap LCD, will check on crt next....

I'd say the game handles Basic automatically - that was the first suspicion when I couldn't get the other menu items working.

Haven't played it much or tested sound difference/performance.  But if it is slowing down my guess would be maybe stock sound is custom code and bank 2 is by RMT?  Generally RMT presents more overhead than you'd get from a simple music + sfx routine.

3 hours ago, Jacques said:

I briefly ran new demo for a while and... Hats off (again!)

It's just one thing to see animation of added masking, then additional vest color, but actually play it, it's incredible - I always felt Atari could do it and there was no justice we missed it back in the days ;)

Thanks, the A8 used to get a stream of crap conversions (except for a few like Karateka!) and I couldn't do anything about it... revenge is sweet ?

3 hours ago, Jacques said:

Just two things I observed with Emkay's sounds:

1) footsteps tend to interfere with opening/closing gates, thus causing some weird sound gltiches (on Altirra, will test on real Atari in the evening).

2) It feels there are frame-rate drops with Emkay's sounds in comparison to standard version, or is it just me?

Sounds like you may have a bias ?

But I can't say I noticed anything... frame rate should be the same, some sounds may take slightly more CPU but that should be bank 1 I think... perhaps an example of slowdown would help?

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

sound goes weird if you die and restart sometime, 130XE NTSC... bank 1 SFX and Music a the best so far...  color changes as  selected...

anyone else noticed this ? don't forget you can record a video if this happens again

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

question, do you turn off basic automagically or do you rely on the user to do so... working on a premise....

50/60 switch changes timing nicely and doesn't make NTSC have any issues on my cheap LCD, will check on crt next....

Basic off? I think I switch it off with the portB setting, standard practice I guess ?

NTSC should be autodetected so you shouldn't need to change anything, it's for those who have PAL antic/NTSC machines or something like that

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

I'd say the game handles Basic automatically - that was the first suspicion when I couldn't get the other menu items working.

not sure what you mean regarding menu items and basic ?

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

Haven't played it much or tested sound difference/performance.  But if it is slowing down my guess would be maybe stock sound is custom code and bank 2 is by RMT?  Generally RMT presents more overhead than you'd get from a simple music + sfx routine.

All the sounds use LZSS, which is fairly constant in terms of CPU usage (as opposed to RMT which is all over the place and much slower)... it's not like I've got room for the RMT player anyway ?

18 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Sounds like you may have a bias ?

But I can't say I noticed anything... frame rate should be the same, some sounds may take slightly more CPU but that should be bank 1 I think... perhaps an example of slowdown would help?

Not really, I like more advanced sounds as an option, ran it only for a little while, but my initial impression was the game was slowing more with some movement during sounds of opening gate, etc. Hard to present it, I guess Rybags mentioned RMT player more CPU-consuming, but maybe you could compare it with FPS counter on your disposal? :)

And I totally agree that PoP plays and looks AWESOME, incredible job by Everyone involved.

• Like 2