IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

@shanti77

Yeah, I know our version is based on BBC Master (not Micro), but wanted to compare rather with "mainstream" 8-bitters (OK, Sam was not mainstream, it was a failure to introduce 8-bit with Amiga/ST on the market).
I've added BBC Master screenshot, but its colours are crazy! ;)

Edited by Jacques

3 hours ago, Jacques said:

Just played it a bit longer on real Atari, I have to say the combination of dynamics, graphics and sounds is possibly the best of all PoP for 8-bits (C64's is "correct" imitation of PC/Amiga, but graphically simple and boring, similiar on Sam Coupe (plus it's slooow), CPC is missing frames of player animation, therefore key-feature is gone).

Thanks, the thing that can't be easily replicated on the other platforms is the fact that each character has 5 colors + background on the A8 while still staying within the limits of the original A2 ( you forgot the pic btw ? )

Since I can't edit original post anymore, I paste again the screenshots with added original one from Apple II.

Atari 8-bit:

Atari.jpg

CPC:

CPC.jpg

C64:

C64.jpg

Sam Coupe:

Sam Coupe.jpg

BBC Master:

Screenshot_2020-05-16 Prince of Persia for the BBC Micro Master.png

Apple II original (last but not least ;-)  )

Screenshot_2020-05-17 Apple II Longplay - Prince of Persia.png

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 2

The brickwork on ours/BBC looks better than most of the others though obviously the BBC suffers from those attrocious colours.

Even the Mac looks simplistic, is saved by good resolution and better texture than most others.

I've had a bit of a dig around - browsing memory I couldn't see a cheat code though not really expecting plaintext.

Then of course it'd probably just process raw keycodes, found an instance of it reading Pokey directly but couldn't work out what it was trying to do.

On 11/30/2019 at 3:59 AM, rensoup said:
On 11/29/2019 at 11:23 PM, pseudografx said:

I revamped my older attempt at PoP graphics, reducing the number of colours to 4 and polishing some parts a bit. It is also adjusted a bit better to character boundaries so 5-colour mode could be possibly used. I added TIX's awesome sprite in to check the proportions.

prince8.png

well I'm storing everything compressed with deflate on disk. The  levels graphics take about 6KB so it may be possible to store an alternate set ?... I haven't decided it on using priority 0 or not, which would impose restrictions on the palettes.

Do you think in the end you will still be able to store the alternate graphics set?

Would be quite interesting to additionally see the classic gfx from Apple II (Amiga/PC) on A8, but that would go best with classic sprite of Prince (Jordan's brother video-capture).
obraz.png.79da1c5a92efe425bc6d74bf8ccb39a5.png

But what we have right now looks incredible.
With maybe small question mark over palette used for the castle levels, I'm not sure that purple colour is the best fit, maybe it should be a bit brighter (or less purple ;-) ), like Amiga/PC?

obraz.thumb.png.a6b1e610754e2e260d81f92294061b9b.png

On Amiga/PC I remember myself always enjoying leaving dungeon levels for castle graphics, on Atari 8 it's a bit other way round and dungeon looks a bit better.

Screenshot_2020-05-17 Atari XL XE -=Prince of Persia=- WIP 20 04 06.png

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rybags said:

The brickwork on ours/BBC looks better than most of the others though obviously the BBC suffers from those attrocious colours.

Even the Mac looks simplistic, is saved by good resolution and better texture than most others.

I like those bricks but there are just too many of them so it gets a little intense: the picture becomes a bit confusing... the vest color was almost a necessity to make the prince stand out.

5 hours ago, Rybags said:

I've had a bit of a dig around - browsing memory I couldn't see a cheat code though not really expecting plaintext.

Then of course it'd probably just process raw keycodes, found an instance of it reading Pokey directly but couldn't work out what it was trying to do.

You'll just have to wait a little longer then ?

4 hours ago, José Pereira said:

Just curious... will you release all the stuff to public or just running file(s)?

The source code will go on github but the art will be in binary form (because the art converter is just tailored for the current sprite sheets: any mistake would make the game blow up or not even build because it would run out of memory)

3 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Do you think in the end you will still be able to store the alternate graphics set?

Not that one, the way it's built doesn't fit the restrictions (there can only be one 16x63 wall tile, I could make it 32x63 perhaps but PG's is just random). 

Generally, to make a working tileset requires a lot of work... I could post the current tile set for everybody to see what's involved (it's also available in the BBC source code btw)

Would be quite interesting to additionally see the classic gfx from Apple II (Amiga/PC) on A8, but that would go best with classic sprite of Prince (Jordan's brother video-capture).

I wasn't sure about that before but now it's probably not a good idea anymore...  when I mentioned an alternate Prince set, I hadn't really done much work on the PMGs... it's a messy piece of code and in the end I added a bunch of small restrictions to make my life easier and they may not be compatible with another animation set.

In short: probably too much hassle...

But what we have right now looks incredible.
With maybe small question mark over palette used for the castle levels, I'm not sure that purple colour is the best fit, maybe it should be a bit brighter (or less purple ;-) ), like Amiga/PC?

I like that purple palette... I had a yellow/sand palette for several months before I came up with this one: it was crap ? and it made the castle levels look really inferior to the dungeon ones. There's only 3 colors so it's trickier than you'd think.

I'd like to have a few more palettes: 1 for the dungeon levels and 1 for the  palace levels so if anybody has the skills, feel free to post mockups here (they should only use colors from the A8 palette of course)

Edited by rensoup

21 minutes ago, rensoup said:

I had a yellow/sand palette for several months before I came up with this one: it was crap ?

Oh, I see... Just of curiosity: would you be able to paste a screen of such "sand" castle example (similiar colour scheme to PC/Amiga), or it's too time-costing after you abandoned it?

Anyway, after your explanation I believe current one is the best way to go and I never thought it was easy! :) With so limited number of colours, it's incredible to pull out the look like this and yes, the vest is doing it's job :)

5 hours ago, Jacques said:

Oh, I see... Just of curiosity: would you be able to paste a screen of such "sand" castle example (similiar colour scheme to PC/Amiga), or it's too time-costing after you abandoned it?

Anyway, after your explanation I believe current one is the best way to go and I never thought it was easy! :) With so limited number of colours, it's incredible to pull out the look like this and yes, the vest is doing it's job :)

l4a.png.96938a702b10f7dd8f45ca69c7c14ea8.png

l4b.png.d3882c996f98036b46bd124be9eeb021.png

l4c.png.578e58d2c92edf7ffe9e32fc06d2c0fa.png

here's a bunch for posterity... I said 3 colors but the light grey one is pretty much fixed... so you've only got 2 colors to play with!

• Like 3

Just a quick rework of the basic wall tile. It is a little bit too uniform. For more variety there would have to be several alternative wall tiles and I am not sure there is enough memory left for that. Moreover, I am currently quite busy with another project so I am not sure I could redraw all the graphics for PoP.

PoP-wall.png

• Like 1

Do you know what happens when you keep reworking the the icing on a cake?    It all goes wrong... We have one of the best POP ports ever! I'm sticking with bank one stuff and the fix up for things like the crash and what not... all this other stuff makes chances to go to far or even spoil the masterpiece we have.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rensoup said:

l4a.png.96938a702b10f7dd8f45ca69c7c14ea8.png

l4b.png.d3882c996f98036b46bd124be9eeb021.png

l4c.png.578e58d2c92edf7ffe9e32fc06d2c0fa.png

here's a bunch for posterity... I said 3 colors but the light grey one is pretty much fixed... so you've only got 2 colors to play with!

Thanks @rensoup! ?

I have to say, #1 is one I don't like (it's too yellow and too dark against the black background at the same time).

But #2 and #3 look both very good! #3 is a bit more lively, but #2 seems more subtle, suits the look of a palace build of sandstone(?) very good and there's a bit of similiarity to Amiga/PC palace.

Please don't get mad at me ( ;-) ), it's just personal feeling based on static screenshots, but honestly your screenshots confirm there could be something better than current purple/violet, which just for me is a bit odd and also too dark, so I'd pick #2 or #3 instead of current one, if I could choose it like the vest ?

Overall#2 looks spot on (floor nicely standing out from the black background, and subtle tones of sandstone)

Edited by Jacques

For the last couple of months, between my drawing sessions, I'm toying around with a new wall tile set..

I haven't "seriously" worked on this, it's more of a stress relief doodling.

So among others here is my favorite tile so far.. I'm going for a catacomb look,

I have yet to incorporate the in-between pieces for a more uniform look and the columns.

I'm sure if @rensoup expand the width to 32 pixels, it will be much better !

I generally like the idea of a unique look for our version, but first I have to make time..

image.thumb.png.8d63d484c1baa8d48f726222d9876b97.png

Edited by TIX