IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

10 hours ago, rensoup said:

l4a.png.96938a702b10f7dd8f45ca69c7c14ea8.png

l4b.png.d3882c996f98036b46bd124be9eeb021.png

l4c.png.578e58d2c92edf7ffe9e32fc06d2c0fa.png

here's a bunch for posterity... I said 3 colors but the light grey one is pretty much fixed... so you've only got 2 colors to play with!

I have to agree with @Jacques because also don't like the purple/violet.

Here's ours team back then Palace looking (adding just the vest from you):

449545893_Palace_ourswithyoursvest.PNG.28aca0fd9bb5035d86f83a71b6f6e72a.PNG

It's brown (16) or (F6) then a yellow but more sand like (EC) not real yellow (EE).

Edited: Also please notice the difference on the windows, I think that is better looking ours having the brown around then inside light colours caming from the outiside (white and yellow) but also the [x] metalic lines inside. It makes much more sense and as in the reality...

Of course that yours stones look much better though ?.

?

Edited by José Pereira
Aded comment for the windows and stones design...
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, pseudografx said:

Just a quick rework of the basic wall tile. It is a little bit too uniform. For more variety there would have to be several alternative wall tiles and I am not sure there is enough memory left for that. Moreover, I am currently quite busy with another project so I am not sure I could redraw all the graphics for PoP.

PoP-wall.png

I think I actually prefer the uniformity of this tileset.  However, don't get me wrong, I think the current one is awesome also.  This one just seems less "busy" to  my eyes.  I guess it is just a personal preference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

I think I actually prefer the uniformity of this tileset.  However, don't get me wrong, I think the current one is awesome also.  This one just seems less "busy" to  my eyes.  I guess it is just a personal preference.

I like the “untidiness” of the current tileset, especially in contrast with the castle’s more regular blocks. Makes the dungeon seem more dungeony.

14 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Do you know what happens when you keep reworking the the icing on a cake?    It all goes wrong... We have one of the best POP ports ever! I'm sticking with bank one stuff and the fix up for things like the crash and what not... all this other stuff makes chances to go to far or even spoil the masterpiece we have.

Spot on!!!

The current version's brick-detail provides a good sense of both "texture" and "dimensionality", or good tonal-separation... This, in turn, has the strategic benefit of allowing the renderings to look equally well on LARGE or SMALLER screens (e.g. always looking detailed). In contrast, when you enlarge larger, flat-surfaces the end up looking even less detailed (!)

(photo's purplish-tone is exaggerated when compared to naked eye):

1228DD39-4803-457D-9B0C-12B22A10D5D7.thumb.jpeg.24faf01fe7dbb56dc24731a0f27ca5f2.jpeg

No other adjustment shown here improves upon those two concepts.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Faicuai said:

This is really good!... is moody, with dense and "creamy" colors. Just like A8's palette with good, on-screen, color calibration.

Indeed, but what I wrote earlier, the brighter one seems more subtle and imitates sandstone better, dark-gray floor is also better standing out from black background than brown, too, methinks. There's simply too much orange/brown in the second one to my taste.

But while I think the upper one is ideal, any of these two would be an improvement on current purple/violet palace:

obraz.png

obraz.png

Edited by Jacques

Humm... Not sure...

Ours back then having more sand like with a not pure yellow (EE) but (EC) and a dark brown (16) or (F6):

449545893_Palace_ourswithyoursvest.PNG.28aca0fd9bb5035d86f83a71b6f6e72a.PNG.b4c830c090a00ba9a86a93997516e7ab.PNG

OR

With 2 browns:

obraz.png.26ac96d2bd0149acbdc95ebd1df815d7.png.66f62c8b8e1226dadee433f59e903170.png

Gfxs apart (current ones look much better though I like more ours on the past windows) I'm in doubt but for sure that purple/violet really not looks good.

Using gray looks bad as it hasn't nothing to do with, looks like a C64 game ?. If on Dungeons we have 2blues (though not same colour number) here also must be following the same rule, so 2browns or brown with yellow.

?

Edited by José Pereira
Added text
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 2:23 AM, pseudografx said:

For more variety there would have to be several alternative wall tiles and I am not sure there is enough memory left for that

On 5/18/2020 at 8:37 AM, TIX said:

I'm sure if @rensoup expand the width to 32 pixels, it will be much better !

I totally agree about 32 pixels width, the tile costs 32*63/2 bytes = 1008 bytes which may be doable because the dungeon set uses less memory than the palace one... It's something I've been planning to look into for a long time

On 5/18/2020 at 9:03 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

Why would we take this and make it look like Roman, Italian, Jewish, or French catacombs... Our Prince is in Persia...  drifting away....

New 8 bit game Prince of Paris?

Well it's a little peculiar for sure but that's why I decided to go with alternate sets. I think everyone's pretty happy to have a choice between 2 soundbanks...

@TIX did a great job on the animations and stuck with me from the start even though I had nothing to show, so least I can do is let him express his artistic freedom, even if we don't always agree.

On 5/18/2020 at 8:36 AM, Jacques said:

But #2 and #3 look both very good! #3 is a bit more lively, but #2 seems more subtle, suits the look of a palace build of sandstone(?) very good and there's a bit of similiarity to Amiga/PC palace.

they don't look that good in fullscreen with a lot of wall tiles though, it just screams ORANGE!?

The Palace levels just looked inferior no matter which palette I tried until I found that one and suddenly they were attractive. It just made sense.

On 5/18/2020 at 8:36 AM, Jacques said:

Please don't get mad at me ( ;-) ), it's just personal feeling based on static screenshots, but honestly your screenshots confirm there could be something better than current purple/violet, which just for me is a bit odd and also too dark, so I'd pick #2 or #3 instead of current one, if I could choose it like the vest ?

I thought about having it selectable but I think it's more important to have some variety.

I'd like to have at least 2 different palettes for each tile set. The levels alternate between Dun/Pal so I'd like to have some palettes like this:

-bunch of dungeons (blue)

-bunch of palaces (purple)

-bunch of dungeons (?)

-bunch of palaces (orange?)

-bunch of dungeons.(blue)

-final palace(purple)

On 5/18/2020 at 12:06 PM, José Pereira said:

It's brown (16) or (F6) then a yellow but more sand like (EC) not real yellow (EE).

Edited: Also please notice the difference on the windows, I think that is better looking ours having the brown around then inside light colours caming from the outiside (white and yellow) but also the [x] metalic lines inside. It makes much more sense and as in the reality...

Too much yellow unfortunately...

Yes those windows look better but I don't want to start mixing different tile sets

On 5/18/2020 at 1:07 PM, TheNameOfTheGame said:

On 5/18/2020 at 2:16 PM, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

I like the “untidiness” of the current tileset, especially in contrast with the castle’s more regular blocks. Makes the dungeon seem more dungeony.

Here's a mockup I did some months ago (uses a 32 pixel width tile)

popwallmockup3.png.8ee962adc736c3fc8c90f708cbbce610.png

less busy, yet still dungeony ?

Edited by rensoup
  • Like 6

Lots of feedback here ? - my 10c it's your game you make all the calls. If anyone want's something different, they should boot up those tools and make it.

I think what you have looks and plays brilliantly.

sTeVE

P.S. I wouldn't even have the optional sound bank, decide on one and go with it, strong direction always wins out over compromise...

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 4:06 PM, Irgendwer said:

I could be wrong, but maybe I finally found someone used my tool:

nope sorry I didn't use any external tool (not sure which one you're referring to), I just use paint.net and save to PNG everything (fonts/sprites/tiles) and use my own custom C# exporters

9 minutes ago, Jetboot Jack said:

Lots of feedback here ? - my 10c it's your game you make all the calls. If anyone want's something different, they should boot up those tools and make it.

I think what you have looks and plays brilliantly.

Thanks much!

Yes I'm keeping that purple palette! 

...and maybe I'll have some orange for the later levels ?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

The Palace levels just looked inferior no matter which palette I tried until I found that one and suddenly they were attractive. It just made sense.

I don't think so and you could listen a bit others opinion, probably is not only me and @Jacques but also others that don't want to express just because they think be negative to all yours great and hard work.

5 hours ago, José Pereira said:

Using gray looks bad as it hasn't nothing to do with, looks like a C64 game ?. If on Dungeons we have 2blues (though not same colour number) here also must be following the same rule, so 2browns or brown with yellow.

?

I think this is a constructive opinion that purple just don't look any good because it's totally 'against/the opposite' to the other colour. It just break the rule you implemented on Dungeons with the blues.

For example, C64 Dungeons always have white and gray then changes across the levels the 3rd colour. This is their rule so here the violet/purple just break your rule ? and is colour that hasn't nothing to do with the spirit type of level's gfxs.

l4c.png.578e58d2c92edf7ffe9e32fc06d2c0fa.png.50374edd6e853df4bfb03f7ead883a1c.png

On 5/18/2020 at 4:41 PM, Faicuai said:

This is really good!... is moody, with dense and "creamy" colors. Just like A8's palette with good, on-screen, color calibration.

This one, if you don't like the yellow is the one that folow the rule, makes sense and is more 'A8 like' using it great palette.

As for windows I look better and yes maybe like best yours just that right side line shouldn't be white. The white should be on the dither pixels inside. On the left darker and wider 2lines/2browns then at right 1line/lighter brown not white. The windows contours should be same colour8s).

I know @TIX is a professional designer but here I don't think was on a good day...@TIX is a professional designer but here I don't think was in good day ?...

?

8 minutes ago, pseudografx said:

That is a really nice wall texture. I vote for this :D

But it's brutally cut at the vertical edges and doesn't fit 90 degrees nearby surface. 

With columns still in small stones it just looks weird and misses harmony. 

Edited by Jacques