IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

4 hours ago, Irgendwer said:

Just for the sake of it a (very rough and quick) mock-up of the scroll-like look.

PMGs (with HPOS changes) could be also used to speckle the paper.

Test.png

Test.xex 6.51 kB · 7 downloads

The font looks nice but it's not very readable (same as the Aladdin one)... I might try with flickering (perhaps bold)

As for the parchment, i don't know if it works with main title screen (which is still under wraps)

It gets real hard to make informed choices about this or that when folks have are given no idea what all the other parts look like or are going to be. Kinda makes giving feedback/ideas a mute point or sets up a conflict over things others can't possibly know.

Edited by _The Doctor__

So it's probably time to release some info about the title pic:

A few months ago, a great pic was posted on the forums, I got in touch with its author and asked him if he was interested in doing a title pic for PoP which he agreed to!

His handle is Sparkler, a talented C64 artist and this was the pic that caught my attention

bruc.thumb.jpg.f52dbb7e52f5cf04cf7d9004a0dbe518.jpg

I don't think he posts on AA but hopefully he won't mind if I post one of the early mockups he sent me (it's changed a lot since then)

popmockupintro3.png.bea0dd360bcfbdde6609dbd900a99c92.png

• Like 9
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

It gets real hard to make informed choices about this or that when folks have are given no idea what all the other parts look like or are going to be. Kinda makes giving feedback/ideas a mute point or sets up a conflict over things others can't possibly know.

While it's nice to get ideas, it's not like I asked for help on design. So there may be things that I can use but I've still got my own plan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, rensoup said:

The font looks nice but it's not very readable (same as the Aladdin one)...

Watching this on the usual PC screens in this resolution you are right. But in respect to the screen dimensions back then, it is very readable.

I mean, we played adventures, where the screen looked like attached... ...and even that was readable... (and we were younger... ;-) )

stein_der_weisen_3.gif

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Irgendwer said:

Watching this on the usual PC screens in this resolution you are right. But in respect to the screen dimensions back then, it is very readable.

I mean, we played adventures, where the screen looked like attached... ...and even that was readable... (and we were younger... ;-) )

stein_der_weisen_3.gif

yes it was readable but I'm guessing those using 15" monitors are a minority... So flickering to the rescue ?

Aladdin font: the lower case letters extend way too far and still arent very readable.

prolalad.png.e72b866fcd15e3266de9be41a3a3c173.png

Dorovar: not bad...

proldoro.png.abdc5a00f343cabc4671a292f8c248b1.png

prolalad.obx proldoro.obx

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rensoup said:

I don't think he posts on AA but hopefully he won't mind if I post one of the early mockups he sent me (it's changed a lot since then)

popmockupintro3.png.bea0dd360bcfbdde6609dbd900a99c92.png

While I appreciate graphician's effort to make new title-screen, even if final looks better than above,  it'll be kind of sad Atari is going to miss on another classic part.

Amiga/PC:

obraz.thumb.png.a26f90fea14551e2391a9025650b5532.png

Amstrad CPC:

obraz.thumb.png.caf0bcbcc4d750f76a4c82035ee1dd0b.png

C64:

obraz.png.93dbb39020ff391361c0c369b41370ea.png

I understood that having first abandoned story-book, it's just consequence to abandon title screen with decorations, but to make it totally different, hmm...

I also know some people may see it only as yet another negative comment (can't help it's a streak of author's strange decisions), it's a bit like "say good of dead people or say nothing" here, because in the end WE ARE getting Prince of Persia we dreamed of, but now it turns Atari8 version will be more and more "not quite that game", which whole world recognizes at first glance of the intro and we'll be missing some decent stuff.

I really wished the authors would express their creativity rather in their own idea (next) game-project, not at what's already been brilliant and the effort would rather go in making classic stuff look as good as it's possible on Atari8, not stamping authority/creativity in such serious extent (Jordan Mechner is the author in the end).

So it's joy mixed with a bit of sadness, sorry, at least I'm honest with my feelings, and now all saints can start to blame again for so called "nitpicking", if these are "minor details"?

I'm happy and incredibly grateful for the gameplay, it's way more dynamic than C64's, colourful and dungeons look great also, but the intro stuff... Kind of sad to see that many good parts go, like Atari version will be more "unofficial" than the rest.

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jacques said:

I'm happy and incredibly grateful for the gameplay, it's way more dynamic than C64's, colourful and dungeons look great also, but the intro stuff... Kind of sad to see that many good parts go, like Atari version will be more "unofficial" than the rest.

The problem is that what you're doing here is dishonest because you only posted the versions that support your idea while conveniently forgetting all those that don't.

Please post the Nes/Snes/Genesis/... versions too.

According to JMechner's "making of" book The title pic is not made by JM himself but by a contractor. While He liked it very much, he also liked some of the box art (and designed some himself).

Sparkler's pic is inpsired by some of that box art.

278630-prince-of-persia-snes-front-cover

Like said before:

Would you prefer to have the C64 in-game graphics when getting the text screens in the same style too? The core of the game is outstanding for the Atari!

Should we remove the turban because it's not in the original ? Should we keep that beeper quality for music/sfx too ? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Maybe I simply don't perceive SNES version as that "classic", come on I didn't even recall there is such title screen on it, my bad, sorry for that, but it's because the world-wide known PoP title-screen are rather the ones I pasted.

After all we're talking 8-bit COMPUTER version, not console one, and different versions for 8/16 bit computers rather take the roots from Apple II original.

As for turban and beeper sounds, I won't take the bait ? I didn't have any issue with turban anyway, so please don't mix me into that one.

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1

okay,

first off it's not his idea as he's showing the original game screens, since it's what you find on mostly any port (or official port of the game) period.

some may have left it off almost completely due to space constraints and timetables and some such frivolity, but certainly even an exception to that would exist. Maybe such will be trotted out, but it's still not what was then, but rather later and for other reasons.

lastly, box art, cartridge art, is just that, which looks great on boxes and cartridges as well as manuals.

I'd think if someone makes all new dungeons etc and or a sequel, then anything that was done would be more than fine or even chill...

Don't know why people quote exceptions to a rule as if they were the rule. (thinking about it, maybe we do)

This is life, such as it is...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

That wasn't entirely overwhelming on all of the ports back in the day either, as improvements are always a good thing...

Just thinking with this kind of snark, and wondering if it's just an issue of being able to do the text, graphics, and cut scenes... is this a vision thing, or a technical issue?

For whatever it's worth, I've praised the crap out of your work until such a stark departure came about. It would have been great to get a full mock up of your vision and maybe those such as myself with concerns or feelings about it could have understood where you were going or why, or if there was an issue in which folks could have helped.  I'm just going to chalk it all up to frustrations for whatever reason.

Still hope for the best for you and the project. No purpose to posting about it any further.

• Like 2

Hi Rensoup,

You carry on as YOU please, people will for the most part totally support work but there's always someone looking to force a point rather than make a comment.

I like others are loving what we are seeing and appreciate the long hard work by you and all involved. Its your game, it gets done your way..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

For whatever it's worth, I've praised the crap out of your work until such a stark departure came about. It would have been great to get a full mock up of your vision and maybe those such as myself with concerns or feelings about it could have understood where you were going or why, or if there was an issue in which folks could have helped.  I'm just going to chalk it all up to frustrations for whatever reason.

No point posting a full mockup, the discussion would just derail in the same manner. The only sane way is to post a finished version then get feedback.

I only did it this time because I believe I mentioned a B/W intro and the discussion started... won't do it again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2020 at 11:55 AM, Jacques said:

This comment is just picked as an example, but I would really encourage all those who don't like the final result to just hack it to include whatever title, color, tiles, etc. they like or even attempt a port that meets their stringent requirements alone. I think it's highly unfair and potentially detrimental to future porting efforts to make harsh comments about ports like this. It is very nice of the authors of the port to solicit comments for an ongoing work but this does not entitle anyone to answer with demands or even reprimands rather than at best very friendly worded requests or recommendations. This is not comparable to "nothing but good about the dead" and not a matter of freedom of speech, etc. but of politeness which should prevail in a small community like ours.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Mclaneinc @slx

I'd really encourage everyone to care more about one's own comments, especially not getting quotes out of context of whole thread, discussion, testing, feedback, polls, etc, that were going on from early days. 

Everything was already written by everyone, life is never black or white, some effort is great and incredible, some is less spectacular, but it's funny, that people who don't care to comment on merit on every step, not more to write "great", nor give that much feedback from day 1, now criticize attempts of constructive critics and pretend best supporters in the world and accuse others of wrong intentions. 

I'll wait for this anyway great port in quiet, now, I got the idea from the authors, that no more opinions on fixed way is appreciated, don't worry ;-)

• Like 1