IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

The problem with the internet is that there are too many Keyboard Rambo's (TM me), people who rely on the fact they are almost anonymous so they can say the sort of thing your would not do face to face. I so wish people would drop this atitude and just go back to good old respect, decency and politeness....It is actually possible to get a point across using just those three things. I always taught my daughter that the sort of people who constantly swear are just too dumb to have an educated conversation, she has never sworn at anyone that I know of and is bright as a button. Good manners do count for something..

• Like 7

To a degree, perhaps... manners maketh man

let me translate that for you...

and to another degree, pandering maketh p*ssy

just one of those things...

as 'back and forth provided by what some may call devils advocate' others may call it what they will... :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

9 hours ago, STE'86 said:

I am treating nobody like dirt. I am expressing a professional artistic opinion and defending it against numpties like you.

I have every right to disagree with an artistic choice AND to say why i think it's wrong.

personally, It doesnt matter to me if the coder finishes this or not. All I care about is that if it does get finished it is the most accurate version of PoP able to be done on this format.

It's perfectly fine to post your flawed logic, just leave the pompous title at the door because it doesn't give it anymore weight.

You can lecture me all you want about what PoP should be, my goal isn't the same as yours: I want to try to make the best PoP version I can, not a pixel accurate conversion.

PoP is a fantastic game with great animations but it's not that great in the art department, it's mainly a one man job so I'm not blaming JMechner for not being awesome in every discipline.

You chose to use the original art, fine...As far as I'm concerned, that's the lazy path.

Edited by rensoup
  • Like 8

@rensoup - keep on keeping on.  I know I sort of got caught up in the bashing which started over the title screen.  Although I tried to do it in a joking manner (the monochrome Graphics 2 intro), I apologize for piling on, it served no purpose other than me getting a laugh at someone else's expense.  I work full-time as a coder, and even when my teammates shit on an idea I have, or do not implement it, or tear apart something I worked on (for pay mind you), it does hurt.

I couldn't keep working on projects in my spare time, just for fun, with this level of bullshit so I applaud you.

• Like 9

But another 0.02 euro (!) cents ;) .

if course me respects STE as he is experienced enough I bet to judge the art of the title screen on as he said on a professional level... (considering his track record). Doesn’t mean he is right in all aspects.

so we all should imho not piss off everybody here... ;) but listen to each other.

• Like 10

I seem to remember the same "air" being in place when Space Harrier was almost complete and people didn't like the flickering title screen.

Wow, that was a few years back now...

What has Sheddy produced since then? (apart from a non flickering title screen version!!!). Shame, as he has a lot of ability.

Lets get behind the coders. Anyway, rightly or wrongly, someone will probably produce a hack later down the line to insert their own intro.

• Like 5

To be fair to Sheddy, if you want to do just one amazing masterpiece thenn boy did he nail it but as Snicklin rightly says, get behind the devs.

Blow ups between devs is ugly and unneeded, professional respect needs to be shown, lets keep it to opinions but think carefully, its not your project to appear to be trying to assert some form of control, I don't think that was your intent Ste'86 but it sort of looked like that. I have nothing but respect for all the devs I see and enjoy work from be they be Atari, C64, Amiga or other machine, I see some seriously great work in coding, artwork and music.

Lets keep it civil and encouraging...You lot are our alternative front line heroes...We thank you for your work and time..

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Wilheim said:

Well, I think that things are cooled a bit, due to the time passed. How's the game going? I do hope everything is ok and we would see another update soon.

Cheers!

It's going... slowly... but I'm still as determined as ever!

Haven't touched the game itself but done some polishing here and there (cool loading icons by TIX and a bunch of other things). I'm starting to look for ways to display the title pic with lots of colors which could be a big job... so we're still some time away from a release... 

• Like 11

Lol....Too true...

Glad the game is ticking over and we appreciate all the determination..

Its out when its done and not a day sooner....Can't wait (but have to) for it but I'm in the Rybags camp re the starting from scratch so also hope there's a cheat in, well if there's isn't I'll make one :) as long as the devious coding does not protect against that :)

Cheating I can do, disassembling loads of code to remove protection checks I'm very rusty at now :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rybags said:

Cheat code would be nice.  I kinda suck at it due to lack of practice over the years and it's annoying having to start from scratch every time.

Memory's not too good either... you already asked that question 10 pages ago or so ?

menu.png.f3e289568a7ee37cae91ecd52b8ab58c.png

Probably not going to have the Start time option though... the clock code is a mess... I wish I could have it but I'd have to rewrite that code.

• Haha 3

Just tried this POP demo and WOW it looks gorgeous. Great work here for sure. I tried it in Altirra, but later this week when my new AC adapter arrives I'm gonna try on my actual 130XE.

I remember first playing POP on an Apple IIe in a store demo and wishing there was an Atari version, and now there is. It took a few decades, but at least it's happening! ?

Edited by TapperP
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, rensoup said:

Probably not going to have the Start time option though... the clock code is a mess... I wish I could have it but I'd have to rewrite that code.

Don't worry about it and I'm sure you are not, between altirra save states and its cheat finder plus Omnimon, any of us who want to cheat are already fully armed. In built cheat codes are a nice treat but they take up memory and creative time to implement, leave them to us unless you have oodles of time and ram later ;)

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

(...)between altirra save states and its cheat finder plus Omnimon, any of us who want to cheat are already fully armed.

I'd just like to think Atari should be seen as target platform, not necessarily an emulator (I can remember similiar argument at the time of interlace/non-interlace) ? Altirra is great and powerful emulator I use when need to check something quickly or have an exact copy of my 1088KB/VBXE/SIDE2/SIO2SD Atari, but real Atari is the one we love, emulators are only an addition and side-effect of that love ?

We're not kids anymore (to say the least) and have less time for playing games, so cheats are useful if you want to spend time on real machines.

But start time is indeed minor issue, when we'll be able to choose level we've left off ?

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1

I'm not sure a persons ability to use real hardware or not is anything to do with what I wrote..

Play it on whatever you can, not everyone has hardware for various reasons.

Quite what this has to do with cheating eludes me..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

I'm not sure a persons ability to use real hardware or not is anything to do with what I wrote..

Play it on whatever you can, not everyone has hardware for various reasons.

Quite what this has to do with cheating eludes me..

It has a lot to do and it's quite simple, when cheat is there in game itself, you can do it BOTH on Atari and on emulator, not only on emulator.

But like I wrote, what rensoup is planning to build-in is great enough even without settable start time.

Your attitude starts to elude me too, not that friendly one should expect after your "words of advice and good behaviour" pointed at others on more than one ocassion. Have a good day, Sir.

Edited by Jacques

Well, people can hack virtually everything given time and knowledge (;)), but that's a real longshot, as most people just want to play, not hack their games or change memory-addresses values in QMEG monitor, etc.

Anyway, PoP will miss nothing for me in this area and I'm glad rensoup will add basic cheat options, I only explained that while emulators are helpful, maybe they shouldn't be treated like common denominator.

Edited by Jacques