IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

Have I just me Emkays brother?

I never said you can't cheat on the Atari hardware hence the mention of Omnimon, sigh...

I never gave the impression you could not cheat on real hardware, I simply talked Altirra because unless you have a Turbo freezer or Omnimon and a bit of machine code knowledge then you cannot do save states. Altirra acts as a very easily customisable cheaters paradise as its all in there, save states, rom changes, OS changes etc etc.

So yes it can be done on real hardware if you have the added items..

As for my attitude, look I get some flak for dragging threads in to off topic nightmare land, your reply was nothing to do with the act of cheating or that game, it was just to push that hardware can do it too so I wanted to curtail a drift. If I have offended you I apologise but you manner isn't so sweet either.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Well, people can hack virtually everything given time and knowledge (;)), but that's a real longshot, as most people just want to play, not hack their games or change memory-addresses values in QMEG monitor, etc.

Anyway, PoP will miss nothing for me in this area and I'm glad rensoup will add basic cheat options, I only explained that while emulators are helpful, maybe they shouldn't be treated like common denominator.

And truly agree, NOTHING beats the hardware and yes I have a great love of Altirra as well but beside the keyboard I'm typing on is a stacked C64 and 800XL, but we have to take into account that not only is hardware starting to be like Ebay gold fodder but its not always easy or possible to get the real stuff especially when people choose such silly prices while others  pay them. So that make's Altirra and all the other emulators out there so damn useful and special. Altirra is my fave because it just grew soo well and the complexity of possibilities for devs and gamers is just amazing. The fact Altirra is out there and is used in the production of hardware and software for real machines is a testament to it.

@Mr Robot me an expert on it, nah, more over excited amatuer :)  Also I have more time than most to sit and play with it...

Edited by Mclaneinc

41 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Have I just me Emkays brother?

That's just very cool start considering your "apology" at the end. Was it intended to offend me or Emkay whom I don't even know personally and don't share many of his oppinions? No clue who you met, but I feel more and more hypocrisy in your good-mannered answers, yet leaving that malicious taste.

your reply was nothing to do with the act of cheating or that game

Yeah, discussing PoP cheats in context of "Altirra/Emulator will help you" and expressing similiar feel that start-timer is not that important anyway, had indeed nothing to do with PoP ?

If I have offended you I apologise but you manner isn't so sweet either.

What wasn't sweet enough for you in my first reply (#971), honestly? Or you're the one who is biased (#972)and living past discussion about intro, etc.

And believe me, I wasn't starting "real hardware vs emulator" flame, as I used both, I just feel real Atari is more "important" when it comes to designing software usability-wise.

Coming back to PoP, I'm excited to hear the news from @rensoup after few weeks about colourful title-screen, I feel the end-effect will be great indeed even if not "classic"-alike and Atari will excel GFX-wise not only in the gameplay ?

Edited by Jacques

Guys, c'mon. We have amazing people creating and porting games for our beloved classic Ataris in 2020. What is there to be unhappy about?! ?

rensoup, please keep up the good work, I hope this project can be completed and we can have the full game on Atari!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I'm writting an article about the game for Atariteca (which I expect to re-launch during the week). Could please someone contribute with a horizontal photo of the game running in real hardware? Full credits will be given.

Regards,

- Y -

19 hours ago, solaris104 said:

Nice to see a selection of machines being used and the kids getting in on it...What was  the chip and battery? towards the end, looks like its in resin?

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, if there's an answer then maybe PM it to me?

Edited by Mclaneinc

My C-64 looks just as bad as the photo,

I am enjoying the U.S.P.O.P. version on the Atari much more... even at this stage of development... hands down better game play and look. Sounds pretty good too...

All by itself the C-64 might have looked okay with no comparisons and nostalgia glasses on... side by side... not a chance... it might be hard for C64 fanatics to accept, but that's life. I really enjoy it when people say don't believe your lying eyes though... quite rich. Both are pictures and are equally degraded as such. I guess that means if one looks better live, then the other may also look even better live... all things being equal.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

There are few screenshots from different 8-bit computers I've put together a while ago:

C64 version looks not as attractive as rensoup's (speaking of dungeons, which turned out great on A8), on the other hand it's pure and clean as it tries to emulate Amiga/PC geometry/look/feel as good, as possible with their poor and limited palette.
But overall gfx- and dynamics- wise, the force is definitely on our side ;)

Edited by Jacques

• 1 month later...