IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Marsupilami said:

Hi,

no pressure, I admire the work already done. 

I just wonder if Santa Claus will bring a new version in his hood for Xmas :)

Depends how things will evolve on the art side but that's unlikely... but things are moving, slowly but surely.

After finishing work on my piccolo graphics tool, I added the picture loading to the gameflow so it just needs the picture and a bit of polishing before the 5th release.

The last big job is the cutscene code which I recently reenabled allowing the first cutscene to play properly. I'd like to try and add a some colors if possible so it could be a while before the 6th and last release.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

To all working on it, we are just happy you guys are doing it, don't bother with trying to hit or make deadlines. It will be ready when its ready, life is complicated enough for all sorts of reasons in various places and we know that so just keep to your own pace and sort real life out first.

Paul..

• Like 6

Thanks for that - the interview.

I was surprised when the first version appeared, but then the guy didn't have the free time to continue working on it.  So it was nice that someone else took up the project and is taking it to it's completion but of course independently from the first project.

I'm not so keen on playing this game - mainly because I played it to bits on the SNES?  And it's not my favourite genre to revisit and play.

A daunting project I'd guess is to work on an enhanced version of Thrust - but I'd guess no one is keen to take this up because of the maths involved with it.  I would like to see a more playable version of it - so that you can take some hits on your craft before it finally caves in on you.  With the addition of more obstacles or enemies in the game - maybe a co-op two player version/option - so one person could be firing directional lasers - and the other pilots the craft.

A ton of work for sure - but a new classic in the wings - waiting for it to happen.

Harvey

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pixelmischief said:

Damn, that's cool.  I never played Prince of Persia.  Been in my backlog for decades.  Glad I can save myself for the A8 version.  The A8 was always my favorite Karateka, by a long shot.  Absolutely loved it.  Only fitting that I get another Mechner classic on my all-time favorite platform.

The ST version of Karateka was pretty awesome.  A8 PoP looks like it's going to be far better than the ST version though.  

• Like 3

On 12/11/2020 at 2:12 AM, rensoup said:

So here's a bit of an update... the first cutscene in a very sorry state:

Cool, thank you for an update and sharing :)

Actually as a 10 y/o Atari 130XE owner, I once saw PoP PC intro (must have been Hercules gfx card, or maybe VGA mono) in a shop window and thought: "I see no reason why Atari couldn't do it".

Decades later (2012), I knew IT WAS possible, after seing Gonzo's animation:

It's impressive as heck, but since it's just a "mock-up" animation and real PoP intro will run using game's engine (I guess), there's no point to compare - I know ;)

Fingers crossed and great to hear the project is alive and will get finished sooner than later, thanks :)

• Like 2

On 7/17/2020 at 7:10 AM, Jacques said:

20200716_182424.thumb.jpg.8eeff2f7528e70b3077f886f4cbc14c9.jpg

One of my photos I already shared with @Yautja
:)

Nice !!

No doubt this game, with its intricate detail and micro-contrast on textures will shine on LCD displays. These will be the way to go for this type of content, and also the perspectives and on-screen layouts, which will look much better without geometric / barrel distortion.

As for CRT, they should also look good as long as the actual CRT display offers DEEP blacks, good flatness and excellent linearity, like a Sony PVM or equivalent, and close to 19 inches.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Jacques said:

It's impressive as heck, but since it's just a "mock-up" animation and real PoP intro will run using game's engine (I guess), there's no point to compare - I know ;)

that'be like comparing ripe apples to green oranges ? 

It's far from done and I don't know what it'll look like in the end, I posted a mockup a long time ago of what I had in mind then I wrote my piccolo tool and learned more about sprites limitations ?

First thing is to get all the cutscenes working before trying anything fancy!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1