IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

14 hours ago, ivop said:

I have the feeling that you are not on the same page, so to speak. @xxl an unmodified 800XL can reach divisor 0 if either the device has proper Schottky diodes in place (I have seen that working on a prototype of @mr-atari, even higher bitrates when Pokey is externally clocked), or if you run your device through @lotharek's SIO hub, which has similar signal clean-up in place.

Edit: yes, SIO2SD should be able to reach divisor 0 with above mentioned solutions.

Maximum external clock speed is 4 cl/bit for POKEY to accept serial-data in the shift-registers.

That is what I found by trail and error.

That is a whopping 443 kbit/sec (or 44 kByte/sec) !

Called "project Warp-factor 4" back in the days.

My experimental device is a SIO2SD-arduino, with attached clock-lines.

FujiNet currently has the external clock enabled with programmable Khz.

But you need to remove the caps to make this work.

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/SIO-Command-%24DF-Set-External-SIO-Clock

The code is a bit tricky, since switching from asynchronous to synchronous is not that straight forward.

Grtz,

Sijmen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacques said:

If it loads in NORMAL and TURBO POKEY Divisor 06, I'll be happy. Just no enforcing 1xSIO when turbo is available, please ;-)

That is all I was getting at when this started.  I did not mean to drop such a bomb.  Anyhow - when Stunt Car Racer came out, XBIOS was definitely locked to single SIO speed.  All XXL had to do was tell me sometime in the time since then, XBIOS supported faster load speeds, and none of this huge blow up would have happened.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 9:01 PM, Mazzspeed said:

I think people should have to type the game in from a basic listing in a magazine.

True purism right there. None of these polluting external 'peripherals'...

.... on an Atari 400 with an original membrane keyboard and no storage device attached.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, rensoup said:

I'm not sure if higher than 1x SIO speed is always available with xbios... I certainly don't know how to enable it but again it's not that important since it should be easy to make a cart version from the disk one.

I'd say it's very important ;)

We/I love disk drives, quite often have turbos in them (Happy, 1050 Turbo, Mini Speedy, Mega Speedy, 1050E, etc) or at least SIO2SD/SDrive, they're all very common devices, probably more common than programmable carts to put PoP on one.
Not everyone prefers the "console" approach to A8 loading from carts, let's not abandon diskettes and let use the hardware available.

So please, fingers crossed for turbos to be used properly, in the end they were available back in the '80's, no need to turn it off to 1xSIO in 2021, that doesn't  sound like xTra improvement;)

Edited by Jacques

50 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Not everyone prefers the "console" approach to A8

Do you think using Carts makes Atari a console? What will the users of modern SIDEB solutions say about it?

So you love to feel like a real computer user with a floppy drive? Cool, every long second you load this game from drive, you'll feel this way.

;-)

13 hours ago, xxl said:

Do you think using Carts makes Atari a console? What will the users of modern SIDEB solutions say about it?

So you love to feel like a real computer user with a floppy drive? Cool, every long second you load this game from drive, you'll feel this way.

;-)

Honestly...Shut up.

Reading your posts kills grey matter. If you don't like the approach here, code something better using only purist hardware as opposed to just criticizing an amazing piece of work. This toxic attitude isn't doing the community as a whole any favors whatsoever.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Honestly...Shut up.

Reading your posts kills grey matter. If you don't like the approach here, code something better using only purist hardware as opposed to just criticizing an amazing piece of work. This toxic attitude isn't doing the community as a whole any favors whatsoever.

This is fantastic.  I have hope in the human race.  A two week user of this forum sees through the bullshit nastiness of a long timer.  Thank you!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Stephen said:

This is fantastic.  I have hope in the human race.  A two week user of this forum sees through the bullshit nastiness of a long timer.  Thank you!

Christ. Everyone seems to think they're a coder of the purest master race, quick to criticize the work of others, but fail to contribute back to the community in any meaningful way whatsoever.

This port looks amazing, work like this should be encouraged. Instead, two members specifically, feel it's in their best interests to act negatively and then cry when people fail to find motivation developing for the A8 platform.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Everyone seems to think they're a coder of the purest master race, quick to criticize the work of others, but fail to contribute back to the community in any meaningful way whatsoever.

Except of course that xxl does contribute significantly to the community and has done for decades. That doesn’t lessen how much of a dick he’s being lately but it’s not like he’s just the average luser.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

Except of course that xxl does contribute significantly to the community and has done for decades. That doesn’t lessen how much of a dick he’s being lately but it’s not like he’s just the average luser.

Actually this Mazzspeed guy has not the slightest clou but has the view over all things. 

Reminds me a lot of Stephen. It's just that Stephen acts more like a teacher than an executor. 

I think there’s a great deal of culture clash going on here. 

European nations and East European nations especially tend to be extremely blunt when expressing an opinion. This can be seen as arrogant and inflammatory to Americans. 

Demosceners are also notoriously blunt with each other (must be the significant overlap with Europeans) this can come across as overly critical to those not used to it. 

xxl is also being a grumpy old man and defending his opinion as though all others are incorrect. 

We can all agreed to disagree. It’s only opinion, not fact. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

xxl is also being a grumpy old man

using the word "old" in one sentence with "xxl" is disrespectful and discriminatory. please use the term neutral - in that case the proper term is "experienced".

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

This can be seen as arrogant and inflammatory to Americans. 

Correction:

To a group (or sub-set) of Americans. There's another (pretty large) group that deeply distrust rosy words, double-moral standards and politically-correct diplomacy. They care more for actual substance or results than amiable (but potentially phony) socials. I have witnessed this, many times.

I would agree 1000% that, at the end of the day, this is a public forum, and everyone is entitled to his / her opinion. And (to me) the more vibrant, determined and unequivocal that opinion is, then the better, in general (as long as it is relevant to the point being discussed).

If we don't like a topic or it is not our cup of tea, it is simply better to carry on. It is NOT advisable to ignite or pile upon booger fights. They all end up in the same cry-mama dramas.

My 0.02c

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Correction:

*snipped pointless pedantry *

Not a correction, just splitting hairs while alluding to political partisanship. 

yes I get it, “not all” Americans. 

pointless virtue signalling to clarify something that only needs clarifying to the hard of thinking. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Not a correction, just splitting hairs while alluding to political partisanship. 

yes I get it, “not all” Americans. 

pointless virtue signalling to clarify something that only needs clarifying to the hard of thinking. 

We are not discussing any of that, here.

Just the inherent inaccuracy of your blanket statement (but you are entitled to like that or not, of course).

That drama seems residing on your end. No one else's. 

• Like 1

You didn’t feel the need to *correct* the blanket statements “Europeans” or “East Europeans” or even “Demosceners”, just “Americans”. It’s patently obvious that I wasn’t speaking for 350 million people by using that term. I was obviously generalising. 

So yes, pedantry and virtue signalling. 

don’t tell me, all lives matter and not all masculinity is toxic?