IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

Hello guys

I come from a country where people are often called direct or blunt.  And I can would say that although I like to expres myself in a very indirect way, at times I can be VERY direct.  But xxl is getting to the point where the "ignore" option on this fine forum/site gets to become a real option.

Sincerely

Mathy  (who enjoys a little pun from time to time too)

• Like 3

On 2/17/2021 at 12:56 PM, Jacques said:

If it loads in NORMAL and TURBO POKEY Divisor 06, I'll be happy. Just no enforcing 1xSIO when turbo is available, please ;-)

On 2/17/2021 at 3:26 PM, Stephen said:

That is all I was getting at when this started.  I did not mean to drop such a bomb.  Anyhow - when Stunt Car Racer came out, XBIOS was definitely locked to single SIO speed.  All XXL had to do was tell me sometime in the time since then, XBIOS supported faster load speeds, and none of this huge blow up would have happened.

Yes xxl posted a video which proves it can be done but he didn't give any detail how this is achieved. 

I'd already inquired about this here:

xxl's answer:

there are several types of turbo for disk drives, xB supports US. xHSPEED. If there is a different value than $ff, this means that the flop drive supports US and if you used xBIOS_SET_DEFAULT_IOMODULE (or .cfg) you can request communication at that particular speed.

I still need to try that... I have no idea what US is (ultraspeed?) and I don't know what devices support it.

Supporting all devices requires switching the OS on and off (which requires more memory) and after rereading that thread it just seems like a major pain in the butt... if anyone disagrees, please provide the full code to do it (saving and restoring any memory that needs to as well chips state).

• Like 2

Ahh, finally back on topic. :)

Actually, PoP is not a game for a quick play. That said, I would even accept loading it from tape in 40 minutes. For me personally it loads and I can play it. I think, optimizing the loading speed is not essential for the gameplay, so it should be done, when the game itself is done.

On my Atari 800XL (PAL) with U1MB I load the latest version from an SDrive2. It takes 35 seconds to get to the menu, and then 40 seconds until I can start playing. Totally ok for me, because once loaded, it will be played for much longer than most other games.

The only thing that I would ask for is to NOT disable the loading sound. Maybe it´s kind of romantic, but I like to have that kind of feedback, that something still is going on.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, skr said:

Ahh, finally back on topic. :)

Actually, PoP is not a game for a quick play. That said, I would even accept loading it from tape in 40 minutes. For me personally it loads and I can play it. I think, optimizing the loading speed is not essential for the gameplay, so it should be done, when the game itself is done.

On my Atari 800XL (PAL) with U1MB I load the latest version from an SDrive2. It takes 35 seconds to get to the menu, and then 40 seconds until I can start playing. Totally ok for me, because once loaded, it will be played for much longer than most other games.

The only thing that I would ask for is to NOT disable the loading sound. Maybe it´s kind of romantic, but I like to have that kind of feedback, that something still is going on.

Loading sounds??? Haha… yeah… then I vote for tape release like BlueMax or Dimension X with piano music on the other channel.

24 minutes ago, Heaven/TQA said:

Loading sounds??? Haha… yeah… then I vote for tape release like BlueMax or Dimension X with piano music on the other channel.

7 minutes ago, skr said:

Just the beeps, that enough for the simple minded me. ;)

with music while loading - like this:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, skr said:

Sure I'd like to keep it too, I guess I just need to set the 4th channel's volume or something like that ?

7 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I’d like there to be a CAR file and an XEX file version, purely because of my favoured loading devices. Loading speed is irrelevant unless it only comes as CAS. 

There will be ATR and CAR...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

you just can't win, some want a silent loader, some want a beeping loader, some want a music while loading experience without beeps, and some want a music loading with a beeps.... f***********CK

I want to match the original A2 specs and I want the authentic experience although I don't have a real machine anymore, I'm hoping I'll get to witness it some day... So ATR for that.

CAR makes sense for high speed devices for those who own one and it also helps for debugging.

Hopefully xxl will release the tool to create CARs from ATRs that use xbios as that might help convince developers to choose to use xbios in the first place.

4 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

you just can't win, some want a silent loader, some want a beeping loader, some want a music while loading experience without beeps, and some want a music loading with a beeps.... f***********CK

All that I want is not important. What it is important is, that rensoup just can finish the game the way HE wants it to. Everything else can come afterwards.

About the beeps: No magic at all. I can turn off and on the beeps with a poke and just think, rensoup turned them off. That´s all. But again: This is totally not important. It doesn´t affect the gaming experience at all.

4 hours ago, rensoup said:

Hopefully xxl will release the tool to create CARs from ATRs that use xbios as that might help convince developers to choose to use xbios in the first place.

The point for chosing xbios in first place is long missed. Now you should just carry on finishing the game. When finished, I´m quite sure, @xxl will give you any needed support to turn it into a CAR.

SIO loading sound is typical Atari, but I'm not sure it gives that high-class feeling. 

Normally with real disk drives when SIO loading sound is disabled, there's still that SIO audio-in interference, which is way more silent, sounds classy and I always loved it :)

Either way will do anyway and is unimportant, with SIO sound at least we'd definitely know if speedy transmission is working or not, so i have no preferrence in the end ?

LDA #0
STA 65

for the masses... ;) as Jacques pointed out... several minutes of Beep... I know the pain... I forgot to disable the loading sound in Arsantica demo... presented at Revision on that huge stage and stereo... haha... wasn't fun.... ;) I was just kidding with SKR... loading bar is enough or sector counter or some other progress...so you know what's going on while loading... but honestly... I bet it's the least issue... let's finish the game... (looking at myself of finishing Beyond Evil game or others finishing Elite! :P)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Yeah the loading sound is turned off, I have no idea how I did that though and I'd like to undo it!

8 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

LDA #0
STA 65

shadow register or something ? does not apply here!

I want to finish this more than anybody here I think but I'm working with temp presentation assets, so while waiting I'm working on peripheral stuff which needs to be done at some point anyway...

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Peri Noid said:

Maybe a kind of xbios feature? I have completly no idea, though.

well I'm ok to let that one go ?

2 hours ago, tschak909 said:

What's left to do ?

-Thom

not a lot... but dependned on what kind of polish I want, this could take some time.

I was planning to do a release soon so you'll find out ?

• Like 9

10 hours ago, rensoup said:

well I'm ok to let that one go ?

not a lot... but dependned on what kind of polish I want, this could take some time.

I was planning to do a release soon so you'll find out ?

You're doing a Polish version too, they will be pleased ?

• Haha 6