IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

12 hours ago, miker said:

Feel free to try again. ?

No need to be so sensitive ?

And to get back on topic... The next version will focus on the Attract mode with assets which may or may not be final.

There will also be a cart version which will use the same streaming method that xxl showed in his video (128KB of RAM still required).

I would like to extend it in the future to have a mix of streaming and direct access for storing preshifted/premirrored sprites... but that's probably wishful thinking....

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

It's out! Pick your version (from the first post)

9 levels demo.

-The focus for this release was on the attract mode & cutscenes which are now fully reenabled!  

(some assets may possibly not be final) 

TIX, our favourite overstretched artist drew all the princess/vizier frames required for the cutscenes!

Miker added a bunch more tunes for the attract mode!

-Added a bunch of cart versions for faster loading and a SD disk version for maximum compatibility with stock hardware.

-Fixed an old bug where the game would freeze if the prince landed on the edge of a floor tile.

-NTSC should be as stable as PAL now.

The next version should be final!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 13

1 minute ago, rensoup said:

It's out! Pick your version (from the first post)

9 levels demo.

-The focus for this release was on the attract mode & cutscenes which are now fully reenabled!  

(some assets may possibly not be final) 

TIX, our favourite overstretched artist drew all the princess/vizier frames required for the cutscenes!

Miker added a bunch more tunes for the attract mode!

-Added a bunch of cart versions for faster loading and a SD disk version for maximum compatibility with stock hardware.

-Fixed an old bug where the game would freeze if the prince landed on the edge of a floor tile.

-NTSC should be as stable as PAL now.

The next version should be final!

@rensoup Woohoo!!  :grin::-D:thumbsup:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Gotta love the "nocturnal" mood of the intro scene... here, both DVI-D and stock s-Video (NTSC) views:

Looks even better in PAL?

The cutscene background is the part that's most definitely not final, it will have more colours and probably have bits redesigned...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

So what .CAR version works with the SIDE3? Does a .CAR version work with the SIDE3?

According to: https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/side3

Loads XEX, CAR, ROM

Emulation of a wide range of cartridge types, up to 1MB in size

So I guess all 3 versions should work but don't quote me on that, I don't own real HW.

19 minutes ago, rensoup said:

According to: https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/side3

Loads XEX, CAR, ROM

Emulation of a wide range of cartridge types, up to 1MB in size

So I guess all 3 versions should work but don't quote me on that, I don't own real HW.

I've tried all three from the SIDE3 loader, the Atarimax image resets into self test while the other two images boot to a blue screen.

600XL, 64k upgrade, U1MB, SIDE3, Sophia 2.

EDIT: Anyone able to confirm?

Edited by Mazzspeed

24 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Looks even better in PAL?

Colors are coming out more cohesive / alike in PAL, but (oddly) the NTSC rendering appears moodier, with those extra purples. I like that latter better for that particular reason.

HOWEVER, I definitely like PAL's "cinematic" aspect ratio, better (on that scene, for sure!).

Overall, looking SUPERB and CLASSY! Kudos for the whole team!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

600XL, 64k upgrade, U1MB, SIDE3, Sophia 2.

On 4/19/2021 at 1:39 AM, rensoup said:

(128KB of RAM still required)

I guess I should really add a check because this keeps cropping up...

Edited by rensoup

8 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Yep, disk version works fine. However with respect it would be nice to have the speed of the .CAR variant.

Well yeah that was the idea!

I tested all 3 .car versions with Altirra 4.00 and they were all ok... so I guess there's an issue with Altirra or Side3 ?

Like I said, I don't have real HW for testing.

Edited by rensoup

This is looking really good ?  Thank you!

Couple of things that I noticed in testing (NTSC 800XL, 256KB RAM, FujiNet):

• Can't get the double-density version to run properly.  It will boot and go as far as the dancing girl animation, but at some point either a) her animation freezes, or b) I get a solid white screen.  Either way, it doesn't progress any further, and I've left it sitting for 30 minutes with no change.  This does not happen with the single-density version, which runs fine.
  • During the opening sequence, pressing the fire button to skip the cinematics while sound is playing results in what I think is one of POKEY's voices not being silenced during loading; a continuous non-SIO tone will be heard.  However, it does stop once the game begins.
  • I'll try to get a screenshot of this happening, but on Level One there's a room with a hidden passageway in its top level that can be knocked out; this leads to a small room with a potion in it.  Once the ceiling of the room below the potion room is knocked out, the player moves to the potion room not through the hole in the ceiling, but rather one of the stone slabs remaining in the ceiling to its right.

This game has always beat the living daylights out of me, so getting further than I have is going to take a lot of practice.  Good job ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

And what exactly entails real hardware?

PAL 800XL (external 1MB) and AVGCART

i can't get two of three CARs working in Altirra unless i switch to NTSC but that could be something in my setup